Need help with a ticking sound - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need help with a ticking sound
Friday, March 13, 2009 11:52 AM
Hey guys I have a 99 cav with a 2.2L and when I'm idling I hear a ticking sound coming from the engine bay. Not sure where, I was hoping this isnt major

You wanna ride??

Re: Need help with a ticking sound
Friday, March 13, 2009 12:11 PM
probably in the valvetrain........

Friday, March 13, 2009 12:24 PM
2.2 valvetrain noise is quite common. unless its quite loud, i wouldnt worry about it.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Friday, March 13, 2009 3:24 PM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:2.2 valvetrain noise is quite common. unless its quite loud, i wouldnt worry about it.

quoted for truth (QTF)

Friday, March 13, 2009 7:20 PM
Its not too loud, if your standing next to the car in park you can hear it

You wanna ride??
Friday, March 13, 2009 7:38 PM
yep thats fine...mine does it too...my Honda Accord did it as well...does it sorta sound like a sewing machine? If so then its alright...as well, does it go away after the car warms up because I know mine has some valve chatter on cold days but disappears once it warms up.

Saturday, March 14, 2009 8:26 AM
It's lifter tick. Engines will make a lot of lifter knock or tick when theyre cold untill they reach almost full temp when the oil has completely circulated back into the engine. If it still does it when your engine is warm, its either because your engine has a lot of mileage and is getting worn out, wasnt taken care of and is getting worn out, you just need an oil change, or a combination of all of it. The engine could have build up a junk in it too. Try flushing it too. My 2200 makes NO lifter knock when its warmed up, I drive it a on the hard side, but it only has 78k km and I take care of the engine. Also make sure youre using the propper weight of oil.

Working on obtainting an M-Class license... ?? Hint: 2 wheels.
Saturday, March 14, 2009 9:29 AM
More than likey lifter tick as stated and not uncommon once the car gets some miles on it. I can hear mine A LITTLE with a 115,000 miles on the odometer. Being a pushrod motor you're looking at taking the head off to get to the lifters.

Saturday, March 14, 2009 2:02 PM
My '99 is the same way, and my '94 is too. And the '94's engine has only 35,000mi on it (Forced to rebuild, and I'll soon tell you why). So there's one thing I can clearly tell you about the LN2: Unless it sounds like a diesel after it's reached full operating temperature, I wouldn't worry about it. If it does, it's got contamination in the lifters or lifter galley. My '94 came that way because some worthless "wrench" failed to remove the remains of the original timing-chain set from the oil pan when they replaced it, and the oiling system sucked it up! Since lifters have priority oiling on the LN2, guess where allot of those frags got sent? That's right!

It still ran (Sounding like a diesel to all that heard it for the first time) for about another 40,000mi after I addressed the rod-knock that accompanied it (First thing I did before driving it), and I was forced to run diesel-grade oil in it to keep the pressure up... but then they finally collapsed, leaving me without a truck that ran.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Saturday, March 14, 2009 7:09 PM
try some marvel mystery oil with your next oil change
Saturday, March 14, 2009 7:59 PM
Cool thanks guys, I does need an oil change, 78,000 mile on the 99

You wanna ride??

Sunday, March 15, 2009 1:32 AM
Mine does it too (97 2.2L) its pretty noticeable when cold, but mine does it when warmed up too just a bit quieter... It's been the exact same way since I bought the car in august. Car had 123, xxx miles and it's still running noisy, warm and cold with 140, xxx on it.

Did I mention I drive a 2000 Lumina now?-----wigm-tuners.org member
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search