Magnaflow Universal #14325 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Magnaflow Universal #14325
Tuesday, December 09, 2008 1:13 PM
Im not much of a tuner guy, and i have like no money, i wanted to put on this canadian tire universal muffler. how would it sound on stock 95 sunfire, prolly shotty, but im just curious. I wanted to put a Dynomax super turbo but the shops i called said it wasnt made for that car or something. any info on these 2 mufflers? I just want a deeper tone nothing too loud or raspy

Re: Magnaflow Universal #14325
Tuesday, December 09, 2008 1:27 PM
if you want a superturbo, the part no. you're looking for is 17747. BUT, you'll need an adapter from 2 1/4" OD to 1 7/8" ID. and a tip of your choice.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Tuesday, December 09, 2008 5:49 PM
so your saying that the Oem pipe is 1 7/8 and to get it put on all i need is an adapter that will go on and make the hole 2 1/4? thanks. everything else should work fine though? beucase the way they made it seem it was like it would never fit on my car, yet on youtube ive seem cavalier stock pipe with it on

any info on sound?
Tuesday, December 09, 2008 6:08 PM
stock pipe is 1 7/8 outside diameter. the dynomax is 2 1/4 inside diameter. case size is close enough to stock to be able to use the stock hanger.

as for sound, i couldnt really say. i went from stock exhaust to full 2 1/4 catback to full system. your results will vary.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Tuesday, December 09, 2008 6:09 PM
They sound pretty good actually.. I have the ln2 as well ( cavalier, the same age as your sunfire ).
Tuesday, December 09, 2008 6:17 PM
Bob do you have full cat back or just the muffler on? and i cant find this adapter peice anywhere online, not even summit where the link for the muffler is from above
Tuesday, December 09, 2008 6:22 PM
Just the muffler. Got the muffler at a muffler shop that did the work since the old won was rusted to hell and back.
Tuesday, December 09, 2008 6:33 PM
what is the sound like, since everyone is different, is it like a low toned throaty sound or like high pitched raspy and annoying sound. Also cruising speeds to highway speeds what is the drone like?
Tuesday, December 09, 2008 8:31 PM
an adapter will not be made...you will have to buy the muffler and a tip of your choice, then take it to a shop that does custom exahust work...as they can take a pipe and bend it and expand it and make everything fit up nicely with welds or hangers and they will also be able to use your stock hanger as well. They may also tell you that you will need an extension pipe from the outflow of the muffler to your tip, so that the tip sits flush with the back bumper. You could easily go without a tip if you don't care about looks. As for sound...it will be alright, definitely a lot better than a fart cannon. Howver, with this in mind, don't expect any miracles, the best route is definitely a full catback system with a large resonator.

As far as the Crappy Tire muffler, I am unsure what you are referring to. Is it an OEM replacement muffler, or some piece of @!#$ fart cannon?

P.S. Not everyone at Crappy Tire knows what they are talking about.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:21 AM
lol i figured that out right after I made my post haha. Well in my opinion, it appears the shops you called do not want your business, which is strange. Attempt to find a local shop around you that does custom exhaust work, they can definitely make it work for you. The price for that magnaflow isn't that bad either. Like I said before you may or may not want to buy a tip for either the magnaflow or the superturbo (if you go that route)

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:22 AM
I went and did a search for you and found exactly what you may be looking for. Someone on here took an oval magnaflow and tossed it on the stock piping. Here is the link:

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=46&i=342940&t=342772#342940

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:30 AM
thanks SCott, that sounded not to obad, i have to look up the specs on that muffler though, not exactly the same as the one i posted but who knows. Bob if you come back on this thread is your magnalow 14325? or super turbo i got confued last night thanks.
Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:34 AM
yea im just curious about the sounds mostly, the 17747 superflow is a 20 inch muffler which would be less noisyier than the 14in magnaflow from CT, i dont want anything to loud and i dont want very much drone, i usually have my radio and sub on all the time so it wouldnt hear it much but still. and the shops were Midas and Speedy, not sure if you have those.
Wednesday, December 10, 2008 1:32 PM
Thanks alot for everyones help, Thanks for the video scott, i went to my local midas to tal kwith them about a muffler and right away he mentioned that 11254 muffler, its little expensive but sounds pretty good. and its 18in oppsed to 14in like the CT one so it should be a little quieter
Wednesday, December 10, 2008 9:03 PM
yes, the bigger the better in your case. Midas should also be able to install it for you. The 11254 is much better suited for you in my opinion. Seeing as it uses a 2" in/out diameter it is much easier to hook up to your stock 1 7/8" pipe.

Thursday, December 11, 2008 4:08 AM
The Dynomax was designed to be used in pairs on a true dual exhaust system, like mfound with a performance-intended V-8. One for each bank. Since a I-4 with single exhaust is like that... (Don't start on me, guys! I know how a V-8's pulses are).

I've had a 2" Dynomax Super-Turbo on my LN2'd S-truck, and it was perfect. Nice deep, throaty tone that was just loud enough to let you know the engine was workin' w/o bein' annoying. And inexpensive, too!

I strongly recommend going with it for a simple improvement over stock.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Thursday, December 11, 2008 4:30 PM
I have a thrush turbo on my 99 ln2 with stock piping and cat. Bought the muffler from advance for like 20bux's i think it was. They also carry the super turbos but didn't have any in stock. The size was 2 1/4 in out i believe can't remember at the moment. Which is similar to the super turbo and made by dynomax. Who ever you have put it one will have to add about a foot of pipe (depending on tip you use) With a slight bend to get the muffler to set right. And also an adapter.

As for how loud a super turbo is. The thrush turbo is a about as quite as stock when first put on. Until it gets broke in took me about 3000 miles. It has a nice mellow kind of deep tone to it but not to loud. Imagine your stock muffler twice as loud is kind of how loud it is. With a deep tone up to about 3 1/2 grand inside and out. Above that is still mellow outside but inside it'll sound like your stock muffler. Now a super turbo after broke in is about twice as loud as that. Well maybe not that much but you should get the point.

Now for a little comparison the thrush turbo against my 99 2.4 sunfire with header, with magnaflow resonator, no cat, 2 1/2 mandrel bent exhaust into a single 2 1/2in inlet dual 2in outlet magnlaflow muffler. That exhaust is like 6times louder than stock after i got it broke in.

And dimer your an idiot to say dynomax mufflers were made for pairs in a true exhaust set-up. For the simple fact when you run a true dual exhaust you want to run 2 mufflers to begin with. Or you can use a dual in dual outlet SINGLE MUFFLER where space is limited. Also the mufflers or any muffler for a matter of fact can be used on anything since the mufflers aren't what play a role in determining exhaust. It's the size of your exhaust pipe to the cfm of the motor puts out or basically the horsepower. So basically a muffler is muffler except for how there built( straight through core or a baffled type similar to stock which is exactly was a super turbo is). And your statement about one for each bank on a v-8 and how the pulses are. You must not know how a v8 pules are. Since the simple fact your can't compare a ford v8 to a chevy let alone one bank on a v8 to a 4 cylinder as to the stroke and when the fires is completely different between the two.

You also will not notice a bit of gain in power with the good ole butt dyno with just a muffler change. All you will get is sound, maybe 1 to 2 more horses on a dyno with a bit of better flow since stock mufflers are so restrictive, and maybe 1 to 2 mpg.
Thursday, December 11, 2008 4:43 PM
^When I said "used in pairs" I meant one to each pipe. And as for tuning, I meant in note. And I also meant about how a V-8 fire, which I know is completely different bank-to-bank compared to a I-4, I also meant when in use with a crossover pipe or 360* headers (Where the primary one one cylinder on each bank crosses-over to the collector on the other). Care to unnecessarily insult me more? Or would you rather go use the time & effort to work on your spelling?

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Friday, December 12, 2008 9:04 AM
Nickelin Dimer wrote:The Dynomax was designed to be used in pairs on a true dual exhaust system, like mfound with a performance-intended V-8. One for each bank. Since a I-4 with single exhaust is like that... (Don't start on me, guys! I know how a V-8's pulses are).

I've had a 2" Dynomax Super-Turbo on my LN2'd S-truck, and it was perfect. Nice deep, throaty tone that was just loud enough to let you know the engine was workin' w/o bein' annoying. And inexpensive, too!

I strongly recommend going with it for a simple improvement over stock.

Now buddy i hate to say this but where does a v8 fit into any of the posts you've replied to in the past couple of days? By the way you clearly said in your post that Dynomax was designed to be used in pairs on a true dual exhaust system on a basically high horse power v8. Now if someone asking about what muffler to buy,type and such. They would take that statement as well there made for high powered v8's and won't work in my case. Then you said you know v8 pulses.. um ok which might that be the engine in your dodge. Not one single v8 will have the same exhaust pulse as another unless they are exactly the same. That is like me putting true dual 2 1/2 in exhaust on my 95 ta that was stock except for headers. Then taking my build 391 with a pro-charger and expecting it to be the same. It was nearly twice as loud as before.

Also a v-8 firing order is clear different between different manufactures.. And comparing it to a i-4 i don't see it happening. On another note would you please tell me where i'm going to fit a x-pipe or 360 headers on any on i-4's i have? Because yet again that doesn't fit into the post...

Just like someone else making a post about something to gain power for $300 and you tell them wires and coils... And that it gained you 20 some percent. How in the world could you compare a 88 ram charger to a i-4 for power.. Let alone did you ever think your almost 20 year old stuff was just wore out??

Also as for spelling on here.. If i really cared and wanted to make myself look so smart in giving just out of the topic info i would...
Friday, December 12, 2008 8:32 PM
Whoa calm down guys lol, thanks for the input. the problem with me is i live in canada and when ive tried to order those mufflers off the net it was gonna cost me big time for shipping and brokerage fees at the border so i ended up getting the MAgnaflow 11254 and im very pleased. Has a nice deep tone at idle and when i start driving it has a nice sound. i know its not broken in yet and may get louder since ive only put 200km on it, but i had no interior drone all the way up to 120km/h. Im very pleased, i will try and get some videos of it up soon

Friday, December 12, 2008 8:32 PM
and i had it welded on not bolted on and i had a basic tip put on becuase i was low on cash
Saturday, December 13, 2008 5:30 AM
Hey Phoenix... By chance, are you related to my mother? 'Cuz she tends to make leaps like yours also!

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Saturday, December 13, 2008 6:20 AM
nice Robert. I would like to hear how it sounds. And yes, I can relate to the issues with shipping thing from the States...

Saturday, December 13, 2008 8:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLjQyDT85QU

this is the link to my video of my muffler, the reason why there is so much smoke is becuase when i took this video it was only 20F or -5C outside. sorry lol, its winter
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search