Noise after header install '02 Z - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Noise after header install '02 Z
Sunday, December 07, 2008 8:41 AM
After installig my header and cat, there was this "ticking" almost like a back fire, but in the engine bay. This noise would happen upon start up and reving. At idle is ok. We have figured out the noise is coming from the cylinder head. There is this hole on the far right side towards the front of the car. It almost looks as if there should be a cover over it as there are 3 threaded holes where you could bolt on a cover of some sort, and then the hole that goes into the engine. When you clog the one hole, the noise completely goes away. Problem is, we do not recall ever taking a part off here and nor do we have any odd parts laying around....

Does anyone know if there really is something that is supposed to cover this hole???

We're just completely baffled....

Thanks!!

Showin' the little boys in they' little Honda toys how we real American Girls play

Re: Noise after header install '02 Z
Sunday, December 07, 2008 8:49 AM
That is the EGR port. What gasket did you use for your header? Sounds like you used the wrong gasket. The stock 2000+ gaskets block that port.

FU Tuning

Sunday, December 07, 2008 8:55 AM
I used the gasket that came with the header... the new gasket has that extra hole as the old one doesn't...

Should I put the stock one back on? Wil it decline any power brought from the new header vs. using the new gasket? Odd that Pacesetter wouldn't tell about this problem...

Thanks for help!

Showin' the little boys in they' little Honda toys how we real American Girls play
Sunday, December 07, 2008 8:57 AM
oh yea and one more thing... what's with the threaded holes as if you could put a cover on this??

Sunday, December 07, 2008 9:03 AM
One last thing... would it be better to put the stock gasket on, or can we modify a part to bolt on the front where the hole is and cover it that way???

Sunday, December 07, 2008 9:52 AM
I would use the stock gasket (what I did). The header you got is for a 96-98 2.4. I have the same one on my 2001. Use you stock gasket and it will not cause any power lose.

The threaded holes is where the EGR would mount, but your car (motor) did not come with one.

FU Tuning

Sunday, December 07, 2008 10:15 AM
You can get a EGR block off plate from GM that blocks that hole that uses the 3 threaded holes. You can also just make your own plate, which is what I did, just because I didnt like having that open hole.

Sunday, December 07, 2008 1:29 PM
CHM wrote:You can get a EGR block off plate from GM that blocks that hole that uses the 3 threaded holes. You can also just make your own plate, which is what I did, just because I didnt like having that open hole.

You can do that, but you are allowing heat to build up in the head. Use a 2000+ gasket and the exhaust will not enter that port, so less heat in the head. Might not be a hugh difference, or noticable, but everything counts.

FU Tuning

Sunday, December 07, 2008 1:36 PM
Yep, I have that same header on my 99 Z24. FelPro makes a nice exhaust manifold gasket for the 2.4. When you go get one at the parts store make sure to specify that your car doesn't have an EGR.

Monday, December 08, 2008 11:21 AM
Thanks everyone!! I just put the stock gasket back on... she's runnin' like a champ now!! Loves it!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search