LD9 Head building Question - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LD9 Head building Question
Wednesday, November 05, 2008 6:32 AM
So heres the story. 30 months ago i had a motor put in that carried a 36 month warranty. Last week, one of the lifters exploded and caused the exhaust cam to go through the valve cover, and bent one of the valves in the process.

Now i work for a GM Dealer, and the warranty company approved me to work on my own engine, pending they approve the damage is under warranty. (which means if it is, they are paying me 18 hours of labor @ $45 an hour + all the parts i need)

Whether the motor is covered or not, i intend to build the head out as much as possible. I already have the 95 LO Intake cam waiting to go in. I intend on buying the 92 HO exhaust cam (correct right? or does it have to be the 92 LO (ive heard 2 different stories on what could work)) for the exhaust replacement (even though the warranty company will give me a stock 2.4 cam). I also intend on getting the head P&P and gasket matched to my Pacesetter header, and Phenolic intake Spacer (for the HO Intake Mani).

My question is, what else can i do. should i get the machine shop install oversized valves? What about forged retainers & Springs. are there upgraded lifters that have a lesser chance of exploding???

I am planning on building this motor for maximum N/A Power.

Re: LD9 Head building Question
Thursday, November 06, 2008 7:21 AM
wow... any of the 2.4 guys still alive????

A buddy of mine told me that when he did his head, he kept the valves and lifters stock, and just port and polished and upgraded springs and retainers... but he was going for a boosted application, while i am not.

Thursday, November 06, 2008 12:49 PM
first off...its the LO exhuast cam..pretty sure its in the sticky at the top of the page.

next off dont know about forged but i suggest titanium retainers, and well, springs are going to depend on how far you take it....
you wanna go for power NA ? id throw out the 2.4 head and get a 2.3 head..itll raise your compression without having the change the pistons and flow MUCH better..even if you dont get the head get the 2.3 cam towers so you can use the larger lifters,i believe you can use the 2.3 HO springs as well..........just how much do you intend on putting into this motor and what hp you shooting for??

Thursday, November 06, 2008 3:03 PM
i have about 600 - 700 to spend for the head (head, machining, and parts) + another 350 ish for the exhaust cam

i can get the 086 head but isn't there a bit of customizing i have to do to make it fit??? the how-to is no longer posted on quaf4forums.com. I have a reasonable amount of time to install the head, but not much more time than that

Thursday, November 06, 2008 3:04 PM
086 head!

GMR has got nothing on this
Thursday, November 06, 2008 4:10 PM
I've done my research and 086 is out of the question right now... i rather spend more at the machine shop on the LD9 head than having to replace my header, and drill out coolant passages

Thursday, November 06, 2008 4:44 PM
well your in luck... you can buy the 90-94 LO 2.3 exhaust cam (half of the secret cams) brand new at most auto parts outlets (advancE, o'rielly's, auto zone) for less then $120.00. so your $350 cam budget can be put to use on other items in need. such as NEW lifters all the way around and at the very least new stock valve springs.

failing to prepare is preparing to fail.
Thursday, November 06, 2008 5:03 PM
i intended on new lifters all the way around...

im starting fresh with a brand new head...

So far titanium springs and retainers will go in...

Does anyone know about over sizing the valves???

Thursday, November 06, 2008 6:23 PM
this is what im looking to do now...

95 LO Intake Cam (already installed)
92ish LO Exhaust Cam
P/P
1 or 2 mm oversized valves
Titanium retainers and springs (for the future lower end compression raise)
Cometic head gasket

i will be in the future rebuilding the block with a knife edged crank, clevite 77 main and rod bearings, Eagle forged rods, and .020 over pistons (the highest compression ratio i can safely put in the motor... which is why i want to build the head to handle it

Thursday, November 06, 2008 6:57 PM
where are you getting these 2.4 titanium spring?

failing to prepare is preparing to fail.
Thursday, November 06, 2008 7:07 PM
havent got that far yet...

after talking on quad4forums.com ... i think it may be better to get the stock 2.4 head with a p&p and secret cams, and use that... then down the line get the 086 head and build it right, and use the 2.4 head for my other 2.4 that imma put in the other car and get it ready for boost...

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 3:54 PM
if i want to use the stock head only but rebuilt the block (forged pistons,rods, crank and some other parts )you think that it will make a difference

boostedz24
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search