pre bent exhaust - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
pre bent exhaust
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 5:10 PM
so i am going to order some mandrel bent exhaust pipes from summit and i was just wondering what you guys have used and how many. like i think that 2 j bends and a elbow should do it. what do u guys think?

2 of these

and one of these

and i am also getting a 4 foot section of striaght 2.5" pipe. I already have a tsudo header, magnaflow resonator and, dynomax superturbo muffler, but as far as the piping goes is that all i need?

Re: pre bent exhaust
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 5:15 PM
What do you drive? sorry bro i'm a noob

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 5:21 PM
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 5:28 PM
how about the headache of $150 when i can spend like $50
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 5:29 PM
also i have a cutter and a welder. the fabrication will be easy. i know people have gone this route on this site and i just wanted to see what they have used.
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 5:33 PM
and i drive a 03 cav ls sport
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 7:44 PM
Bagged Base Coupe (Tinkles) wrote:Save yourself the headache.

Yeah but is it mandrel bent? No where on their site does it say that they mandrel bend.
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 8:28 PM
Yeah it is mandrel.

Does customtubes site still give off viruses? I refuse to check since the 1 time a couple months ago they damn near bricked my desktop.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 8:43 PM
I was just on their site today and i didnt get any viruses.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 8:48 PM
Good deal, someday when I decide to start spending fun money on the Cavy again I want to replace my current 2.5" exhaust with their 2.5" pipe. Mine is getting old...

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 8:29 AM
I was going to ask about that site. I ran across it the other day. Im in need of new exhaust. Mine has ben on since 2004 and its starting to sound like crap! Very loud. So i think im going to buy the 2.5 piping and get a new cat and new resonator and muffler and call it a day!!!

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 9:18 AM
..off topic much??

>listening

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 9:46 AM
those pipes sound fine, I used 2.5" on my 05 eco with magnaflow cat and flowmaster super 40 2.5" was too big imo, should of gone with 2.25" since my car is n/a. But its there now so it stays and sounds mean, I get asked if I have a v6 in it all the time.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 10:29 AM
That site would probably get a lot more business if they did them in Stainless steel.

I would never run a MILD steel exahust on my car, ever again.

T-304 > all....

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 10:39 AM
I actually asked him, he said he did stainless as well, what grade of stainless I dont know.

Friday, September 19, 2008 9:01 PM
Will our n/a cars really see a difference in mandrel or not? I used a pipe bender and 2.25 pipe to make my exhaust and it seems to work great.

Saturday, September 20, 2008 8:48 AM
Mine is all mandrel bent ( 7.5" of 1 3/4 and 7.5" of 1 7/8 ) step header then to a 3 " to 4 " megaphone then back to a 3.5 in/out straight muffler, all mandrel bent

-Ben
Saturday, September 20, 2008 11:06 AM
whiskerbiscuit wrote:Will our n/a cars really see a difference in mandrel or not? I used a pipe bender and 2.25 pipe to make my exhaust and it seems to work great.

It depends on your RPM range. Mandrel doesn't make a noticeable difference until higher RPM's, same as the pipe size. If you're not planning on making solid power above 5000 RPM or so, you don't need anything larger than 2", and mandrel bends won't be noticeable. However, if you plan on going boosted, adding more mods that raise your RPM range, etc. etc., then get bigger pipe, and don't skimp on the mandrel bends.

To the OP, check out this ebay store: good place, quality stainless U bends and 45's. You will need 45's if you want to build anything decent. You can't use all U bends.
They also have tips, cats, mufflers, and accessories.

Performance-Curve

Sunday, September 21, 2008 5:46 PM
I got all my pipes and such here

http://www.spdexhaust.com

I spoke with Chris and is a GREAT guy to deal with, didnt really pay attention about the price was recomended to this site by another drag racer. If you do decide to buy from this site tell them that Ben Wenzel sent you, Bruce Bartos was my referance, good luck

-Ben
Monday, September 22, 2008 9:52 AM
Quiklilcav wrote:
whiskerbiscuit wrote:Will our n/a cars really see a difference in mandrel or not? I used a pipe bender and 2.25 pipe to make my exhaust and it seems to work great.

It depends on your RPM range. Mandrel doesn't make a noticeable difference until higher RPM's, same as the pipe size. If you're not planning on making solid power above 5000 RPM or so, you don't need anything larger than 2", and mandrel bends won't be noticeable. However, if you plan on going boosted, adding more mods that raise your RPM range, etc. etc., then get bigger pipe, and don't skimp on the mandrel bends.

Good Info to know, thanks. This is really my first car i've gotten into modding. I toss around ideas all day long. I'm not really a fan of exhaust on 4 cylinders, but i had a muffler laying around and access to a pipe bender when i worked at the jeep store, so, an exhaust was made. I don't plan on raising the RPM range much simply because the engine stops pulling after about 5500 RPM's.

Monday, September 22, 2008 9:53 AM
How did my font get blue? OOPS!!

Monday, September 22, 2008 10:51 AM
darestie wrote:
Bagged Base Coupe (Tinkles) wrote:Save yourself the headache.

Yeah but is it mandrel bent? No where on their site does it say that they mandrel bend.

No kidding !! Check out these ugly ass crush bends!!

Mitsu TD06-20g |3" Turbo-back Exhaust | 61mm Bored TB |
HP Tuners | Innovate WB02 | Spec Stage 3 | Team Green LSD | TurboTech Upper | Full Addco Sways | Sportlines & Yellows |
Monday, September 22, 2008 6:44 PM
lol, my exhaust cost about $1600 and I love every penny of it! Fully 304 stainless turbo back, qtp electronic cut out, dna street series muffler, and a borla xr-1 muffler.
Wednesday, September 24, 2008 7:22 AM
Doesnt look crush bent from the pictures unless its hard to see. and how much did that cost you? Is it really crushed? Because the guy at that website told me its mandrel.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 7:52 AM
i think he was exaggerating

01' Z24 5 speed
422whp/400wtq
T4 Turbocharged
Built LD9
HP Tuners
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search