Timing Chain and New Oil Pump on Boosted Engine - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Timing Chain and New Oil Pump on Boosted Engine
Monday, September 15, 2008 9:19 PM
A couple of questions that I have.. I am getting a lifter noise \ timing chain noise so I decided to do the timing chain. The car has 127000 on it now, so its all good and time for sure. The lifters will be replaced so enough.

For the timing chain, I need to get a chain, crank sprocket, cam sprocket, tensioner, oil pan and timing cover gaskets. Anything else?

While I have the oild pan off, I figured I would do the oil pump swap. The one where they put in the older style pump in for higher flow. I think its the M248? I cant remember.

Anything special needed to get the sprockets off? I figured I would just go with parts from GM.

----------------------------------------------------------------
www.bradsairsoft.com

Re: Timing Chain and New Oil Pump on Boosted Engine
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 2:25 AM
The pump you want is Milodon P/N: M98, which is a higher pressure pump, not a higher-flow one. The M98 is highly recommended as it will produce an "at-idle cold" pressure-level of 80psi, and when the engine warms that'll be what it peaks-out at. A higher-volume pump will be too much stress on the driving parts of it.

As for pulling the sprockets, a simple three-finger gear-puller, and a three-point steering-wheel puller (For the pulley-hub) will suffice. BTW: you don't need to pull the pan on the LN2 to change to timing-chain set. Just the front/timing cover and it'll all be accessible. But, if you wanna drop the pan...

Hey... When you do the lifters, do the LN2/LT-1 lifter mod. You find how-to listed on this site.

Have you tried Cloyes? They exceed GM specs & are very favored for replacement chains. And I take it you don't have what it takes to do the '82 Double-roller conversion outlined somewhere here (Man, I wish they made a simple bolt-in version of one for our engines!).

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 5:52 PM
The Melling M98 has a slightly higher volume (approx 10 and higher pressure relief (80lbs vs 64lbs). It was used in the '90 to '93 engines.

As for th timing chain Link you'll find it in the 2.0L OHV Build Guide from the Chevy Power Guide 6th Edition. See page 2-4 number 5 and Pages 2-14 & 15 for details. Advance/Parts America can get the complete '82 timing kit.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 10:05 PM
Thank you, MadJack. I knew you'd help with the details I miss one this one.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search