Hybrid TQC Build ! (PHOTOS) - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hybrid TQC Build ! (PHOTOS)
Tuesday, April 22, 2008 7:08 PM
Well.... I wanted to build a 2.4.... BUT not just any 2.4. I toyed around with the whole idea of a motor swap, a 3400..... maybe a 3800... BUT when it came down to it, I wanted something of which the community hasn't seen much of, and in this case for the FIRST time. What is it ? Well, if you have not guessed from the title yet,then I will let you in on it. "a Hybrid Quad4/TC build. Mating a BRAND new 086 head, with 2.4 Bottom end.... THEN to shove a whole @!#$load of boost down its throat . In order to even begin conceiving the idea of boost on this type of application, I needed to bring that pesky 11.7:1 CR down a little bit...... BUT before I list out the parts, here are some pics .

mmm Custom Piston. Gotta love that dish , Nice pockets to.

-The Parts List-

Motor

-086 Casted Head
-HO Spec Springs
-HO Spec Valves
-HO Cams
-Melling 35 MM Lifters
-ARP Head Studs
-Wiseco CUSTOM Forged Pistons Final CR 8.5:1
-Eagle Forged H-Beam Connecting Rods
-Knife Edged Crank
-Clevitte Main Bearings (Dry Lubrication Treated)
-Clevitte Rod Bearings (Dry Lubrication Treated)
-2.3 Oil Pump Conversion
-2.3 P/S Conversion
-AEM Tru Power Pulley
-UR Underdrive Crank Pulley
-HO Intake Manifold
-Exploited Racing Phenolic Intake Manifold Spacer
-56mm TB
-TTR Upper Motor Mount
-TTR Tranny Mounts
-RK SPort Lower Dog Bone Mount
-GM S/C Reflashed ECM
-GM 2 Bar MAP
-Heated 02 Sensor

"Suspension*

-Freedom Design. Rear Strut Brace
-GM Vert Front Strut Brace
-Koni Red Struts
-Eibach Sportline's
-Aluminium Sub Frame Brace
-Poly Urethane Control Arm Bushings
-Cooper Zeons Up Front 225/40/R17

*Turbo Setup*

*Indicates on its way soon .

-Turbonetics GTK 500 Turbo*
-Tial 40mm Wastegate*
-Tial 50mm BOV*
-Custom Turbo Manifold (! Flange Courtesy of John @ Quad4rods.com !)
-JohnnyRaceCar.com Intercooler (Extruded Tube Core)
-3inch Charge Piping

.THIS was an update WORTH posting .

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"

Re: Hybrid TQC Build ! (PHOTOS)
Tuesday, April 22, 2008 7:18 PM
Quote:

.THIS was an update WORTH posting

i have a decent stack of parts too.. but I actually did something today

if that was meant towards me anyways lol

lotsa sweet parts!

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 7:38 PM
The last comment is more geared towards The JCO members, we have a member there posting a new thread every 5 seconds with little things .

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Tuesday, April 22, 2008 7:39 PM
ACK Also thanks to KARO !. He is the man responsible for those pistons !

My Cav
I give up...
Tuesday, April 22, 2008 8:27 PM
Congrats on the parts collection. I do have on question, sorry if its off topic. Did you calculate the final CR of the 086 head+LD9 block or did you just pick it up from here on the org? I have seen many numbers tossed around and when I tried to calculate it for my self I got a completely new number. I have this book, Auto Math, where I got the equations and then used the dimensions for the 95 LO Quad in my Haynes Manuel (correct me if I am wrong all the Quads had the same head/block dimensions). I came up with a final static CR for an LD9 block and 2.3 head as 10.49:1. I am leaning towards the 95 LO Quad having a larger head but it is equally possible I went wrong with my math and/or miss read the book. Please help.

Again sorry for the thread jack, just didn't want to start a new thread and get flamed for not searching, when none of the posts that come up in a search explain how they got their final CR #.

Shawn M.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 8:36 PM
why do you have engine parts on your bed? other than that ya sweet parts man

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 11:01 PM
Nice parts and build, can't wait to see more.

What static cr are you going to run and what cams are you running?

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 3:47 AM
Nice parts build up. Hope the build goes well.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, April 23, 2008 4:06 AM
Nice parts list and collection!

cant wait to see/hear this thing ripping through the streets of ontario!

1997 Cavalier Z24 - 15.647 @ 88.02 MPH
Wednesday, April 23, 2008 4:57 AM
Nooice

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, April 23, 2008 6:08 AM
Maken Waves wrote:why do you have engine parts on your bed?

Cuz they are soo sexy that he sleeps with them. What, you dont have engine parts on your bed?

Actually when i go to bed i have a Holley 750 cfm carb above my head, Haynes flywheel for a pontiac v-8 on my floor, Petronixs HEI distributor on my shelf, and alot of other goodies in my room.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 7:36 AM
Tinkles wrote:

Cuz they are soo sexy that he sleeps with them. What, you dont have engine parts on your bed?

Actually when i go to bed i have a Holley 750 cfm carb above my head, Haynes flywheel for a pontiac v-8 on my floor, Petronixs HEI distributor on my shelf, and alot of other goodies in my room.

you need to get laid

1997 Cavalier Z24 - 15.647 @ 88.02 MPH
Wednesday, April 23, 2008 8:35 AM
very nice. ill be awaiting updates on this project for sure.

Rollin' on question marks since 07.
Wednesday, April 23, 2008 8:48 AM
whitegoose( RedR-ZedR) wrote:
Tinkles wrote:

you need to get laid

Yes i do. It's been a full year(problems with my ex and also me being stupid, a thread is in OT about it).

Get it built, i would like to see what whp numbers it will put down.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 9:26 AM
Wow, now i've got some compition. Looks like there will be 2 turbo hybrids in Ontario

I just recieved my new pistons yesterday as well (All thanks to Karo) So my build thread starts tonight!

Shall be fun.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 12:38 PM
Shawn McKenzie wrote:...Did you calculate the final CR of the 086 head+LD9 block or did you just pick it up from here on the org? I have seen many numbers tossed around and when I tried to calculate it for my self I got a completely new number. I have this book, Auto Math, where I got the equations and then used the dimensions for the 95 LO Quad in my Haynes Manuel (correct me if I am wrong all the Quads had the same head/block dimensions). I came up with a final static CR for an LD9 block and 2.3 head as 10.49:1. I am leaning towards the 95 LO Quad having a larger head but it is equally possible I went wrong with my math and/or miss read the book. Please help.

Again sorry for the thread jack, just didn't want to start a new thread and get flamed for not searching, when none of the posts that come up in a search explain how they got their final CR #.

Shawn M.

I attacked this issue a little differently......I called Karo and he had weisco calc it themselves and I spec'd out a piston with a final CR of 9:1 WITH the 2.4 bottom and 2.3 head. Nice OS valve reliefs and a little fancy on the pins....
Wednesday, April 23, 2008 1:00 PM
Shawn McKenzie wrote:Congrats on the parts collection. I do have on question, sorry if its off topic. Did you calculate the final CR of the 086 head+LD9 block or did you just pick it up from here on the org? I have seen many numbers tossed around and when I tried to calculate it for my self I got a completely new number. I have this book, Auto Math, where I got the equations and then used the dimensions for the 95 LO Quad in my Haynes Manuel (correct me if I am wrong all the Quads had the same head/block dimensions). I came up with a final static CR for an LD9 block and 2.3 head as 10.49:1. I am leaning towards the 95 LO Quad having a larger head but it is equally possible I went wrong with my math and/or miss read the book. Please help.

Shawn M.

You probably misread the book or the book you are reading is crap as that isn't even remotely close. All Quad4 heads have a 48cc combustion chamber opposed to the 60-62cc LD9 heads.

the equation to calculate static compression is easy...

volume in the cylinder at BDC / volume in cylinder at TDC..... which is

(volume in combustion chamber of head + head gasket volume + amount of volume removed from piston + displacement) / (volume in combustion chamber of head + head gasket volume + amount of volume addded to or removed from the piston)

notice that "amount of volume removed from piston" is a negative number if you have domed pistons.
Wednesday, April 23, 2008 9:46 PM
Thanks for the help. Where I went wrong is the round about way the book had me calculate the combustion volume. I had essentially the same equation you listed, and when I inserted 60cc and 48cc I got 11.8.

Thanks for the help. Sorry for the thread jack. Build looks tits Short Hand.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Thursday, April 24, 2008 12:09 AM
wheres your 2.3 / 086 turbo manifold?

Thursday, April 24, 2008 6:00 AM
Maken Waves wrote:wheres your 2.3 / 086 turbo manifold?

The flange is @ my mani guy. This will be his first Quad manifold, currently he does Honda stuff. BUT I have discussed in length with him how I want it all setup it, waste gate location BEING key. some where for equal evacuation, on the way to the turbo. Were still in talks about price. I want an equal length turbo mani, but for the price, he wants to do a really nice log manifold. Time will tell !. Ill have some more pictures tonight, so stay tuned .

My Cav
I give up...
Thursday, April 24, 2008 8:55 AM
How much are they asking for? Atomic or I believe Agent Omega can make you an equal length turbo manifold for relatively cheap.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 9:06 AM
I'm thinking i'm just gonna chince out and get a lager....i mean logger

originally i was thinking SS turbo header, but it's hella cheap to get a log made in comparison

Thursday, April 24, 2008 1:37 PM
A turbo LD9 with a 086 head is not something this community has never seen before.

Good luck with your build, sounds like it will be pretty mean when its done.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 2:41 PM
I'm jealous of that. knife edged crank. How much that cost ya?

Thursday, April 24, 2008 2:44 PM
Tinkles wrote:
whitegoose( RedR-ZedR) wrote:
Tinkles wrote:

you need to get laid

Yes i do. It's been a full year(problems with my ex and also me being stupid, a thread is in OT about it).

Its called getting a hooker.

Caution: I have an odd sense of humor, so don't be offended by the things I say
MMMM, HIDs
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search