98 2.2 intake manifold - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
98 2.2 intake manifold
Tuesday, March 11, 2008 8:42 AM
hey everybody, i didn't look around to see if there was apready a thread on this, but i just wanted to know if anybody was doing their own intake manifold porting. RSM does it i think (i dont know if they still are around) where they take a stock manifold and make the runners a bigger inside diameter, and i was wondering if anybody has done this? No i don't have a bigger throttle body i'm only asking if anybody has done this. Also: anybody put a 2.3 TB on a 2200? thanks all!

Re: 98 2.2 intake manifold
Tuesday, March 11, 2008 9:28 AM
If all you're doing is asking if it has been done the answers are yes and yes. Now Search Button!

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 9:49 AM
2.3 on a 2200? i don't think there is enough room

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 10:27 AM
thanks, i was kind of hoping to hear from somebody that HAS done it to their own, and maybe how they did it. thanks anyway
Tuesday, March 11, 2008 12:03 PM
Since it's plastic, you really can't enlarge the runners like on metal manifolds. There is a lip at the TB mounting surface which can be removed if going to a 2.3 TB. You can try port-matching the intake to the head (I think it's well-matched stock though), but be careful and use low-speed bits.

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Tuesday, March 11, 2008 12:17 PM
thanks for the advice, i'll probably just leave it and look to see what it's like when i have it apart, but until then i thinki'll leave it as is. Thanks for the info!
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 1:45 AM
I wouldn't recomend it. Not even the LS-engine guys dare to port plastic intakes. Your best bet is to find an aftermarket one. Venom made one once but I don't know if it's still out there. Hogan makes manifolds for anything, including the LN2 (RPO for the 2.2L/2200) so i'd say give them a try as they seem to be you're best bet.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 7:50 AM
what do you mean a lip going to the throttle body from the manifold?? when i swapped the 2.2 for the 2.3 i didnt see the lip, can you get a pic and show me where it is so i know. thanks man

hondas are like tampons.....every pu$$y needs one...
mildly built 99' ln2, eagle h-beam rods, wiseco forged alum. pistons, cusco oil catch, t3/t4 super 60 garret, tial 40 mm wastegate, hp tuners, prothane mount inserts, 2.5" exhaust.
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 8:39 AM
I opened the runners up on my 2200 manifold, after I got my ported head. I didnt open them much, and it took me nearly all day to do, but it seemed to have a positive effect. I wouldnt be able to tell without a dyno for sure, but it seems to have a bit more pull int he upper RPMs. Again this might just be a mental thing, but I did go back and forth between manifolds untill I felt convinced that I wasnt crazy.

I was also able to use a "snake" tool my dad has at his shop to do this, it is designed to polish the inside of welds to pharmaceutical piping systems, and it worked really well on the manifold.

I also opened the throat where the TB sits a little.

The 2.3 56mm TB fits on the 2200 manifold, only you need to modify how the throttle cable connects to the wheel, as its turned. There are a number of ways this can be done, including turning the wheel to the stock location. I was only able to use 2 of the 4 bolts to get it to mount to the Manifold.

I DID have a spare sitting around just in case. Take youre time, you'll find that the plastic likes to burn quite easily. As Notec stated, LOW SPEED is key.
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 8:54 AM

Basically, smooth the entrance so that the transition isn't so harsh. Some manifolds also have significant casting flash there, which needs to go.

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:22 AM
thanks again all, any help with my roller rockers post? lol

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 12:10 PM
OHV notec wrote: Basically, smooth the entrance so that the transition isn't so harsh. Some manifolds also have significant casting flash there, which needs to go.

good looking out josh im gonna go jump on that right now wish i would have known that before i did the swap (lol)

hondas are like tampons.....every pu$$y needs one...
mildly built 99' ln2, eagle h-beam rods, wiseco forged alum. pistons, cusco oil catch, t3/t4 super 60 garret, tial 40 mm wastegate, hp tuners, prothane mount inserts, 2.5" exhaust.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search