Adj timing gears - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Adj timing gears
Friday, January 04, 2008 6:13 PM
I am pretty clsoe to having true adjustable gears made for the 92-02 2.3 and 2.4 engines
Is there any intrest in having them? they would run about 400.00 set if it was done in GP
adjustment would be -4 to +8

Re: Adj timing gears
Friday, January 04, 2008 7:21 PM
I am not at all sure about the quad engines but i do know with the ecos the adjustable gears are a waste of money..im sure someone will chime in soon enough though
Friday, January 04, 2008 7:32 PM
Its more for the boosted club. diaing the over lap on a turbo can make major power. I adjust my gears alot his summer to get my 2.3 to where it ran 14.2 @ 96.44 N/A. (starting point of 15.6)
so there is power to be had in the quad with timing.
But like I said this is to judge intrest if any. If none, fine I'll just have a set made for me
Friday, January 04, 2008 7:46 PM
Philly D wrote:I am not at all sure about the quad engines but i do know with the ecos the adjustable gears are a waste of money in the hands of people who don't take the time to properly tune their engines. I'm sure someone will one day buy them and take the time to properly time their cams with adj. gears on a dyno.

fixed.

Saturday, January 05, 2008 12:15 AM
Those with w41 cammed turbo quad4's/LD9's (or more radical cams) would benefit from this the most. At 400 a set though, I don't know how well they will sell, especially considering most people here don't even know why or how timing the cams affects their power band. If you haven't already, I would post on quad4forums.

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Saturday, January 05, 2008 6:16 AM
I listled it on Q4, I'm a pretty active member over there. the main reason the price is so high is its a pretty small run, and............made in the USA
the 400 price is for a run of 5 sets, if more are ordered maybe I can get the price down.
Saturday, January 05, 2008 8:50 AM
the ZPPR wrote:I adjusted my gears alot this summer.

the ZPPR wrote:I'll just have a set made for me.

huh? if you already have a set why do you need another?

Saturday, January 05, 2008 9:07 AM
I redrilled my gears, I have not run an adjustable set yet.
you know go to the track, come home take the timing all apart, redrill the cam location hole, reassemble, go back to the track, repeat.
basically it took me 4 trips to the track to learn what i could have done in a all day practice session.
I am having 1 set made for me, I figure I would see if anyone else wanted a set
Saturday, January 05, 2008 9:29 AM
DaFlyinSkwirl (PJ) - APU wrote:
Philly D wrote:I am not at all sure about the quad engines but i do know with the ecos the adjustable gears are a waste of money in the hands of people who don't take the time to properly tune their engines. I'm sure someone will one day buy them and take the time to properly time their cams with adj. gears on a dyno.

fixed.

LAWLZ.....

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Sunday, January 06, 2008 7:47 AM
I need to add that I will/can make a modified timing cover so you will not have to remove the complete cover.
it will either be a split cover(this has been done) or removing a square panel in front of the cam gears.
this will allow quick and easy cam adjustment. good for at the track, on the Dyno etc.

If anyone just wants a offset gear +/- 2 to 8 degree's let me know I can do those too.
Sunday, January 06, 2008 2:38 PM
ZPPR is a good guy. He sold me my 086 head and was a great guy to deal with. When do you think you'd have these done? I might be interested in a set.

Sunday, January 06, 2008 3:00 PM
I planning on the end of the month.
Sunday, January 06, 2008 3:58 PM
Time to modify my housing cover.

Sunday, January 06, 2008 5:43 PM
id like to see a finished product, then i would be much more interested.

would a boosted car or an N/A car benefit more from these?

Sunday, January 06, 2008 5:44 PM
Im in!
Sunday, January 06, 2008 5:49 PM
Scarab (Jersey Jay 1.8T) wrote:
DaFlyinSkwirl (PJ) - APU wrote:

fixed.

LAWLZ.....

I am tired of repeating myself

tony from CNFX spent 9 hrs on a saturday with an NA ecotec and the cam gears. the ecotec had a pat. head, cams, full exhaust and intake, and after all the time found that the best cam timing was with the stock timing. although this was before HP tuners. but that could change something

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Sunday, January 06, 2008 6:08 PM
Was it with stock cams? Just wondering.
These are for the quad and the TC, I gained alot with these but I was using 430/224 cams full race port, full long tube header race chip and N/A
I know of a few boosted who have wished for adjustable cam gears. So far it seems I'll just get a set for myself which is fine too. I posted this idea on a couple forums and it really has only drawn negitive on price/use
Monday, January 07, 2008 11:13 AM
No I stated it had cams. they were lzm cams too

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Monday, January 07, 2008 11:40 AM
that could be because of "better" cams for the eco,more choices.With quad there are really only 3 choices if you can find them(crane and comp have none) the W41, the "cheaters" 410/226 and 430/224(still available privately forma RonS)
I've never run the 410/226's but have knowlage of the W41's and 224 needing adjustment.
its really here nor there at this point, I was gauging intrest and I got the info I needed. "why" and "cost to much"
Monday, January 07, 2008 9:40 PM
Too bad you don't know Comp Cams still grind cams for the 2.3.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 12:35 AM
Mfk-223 wrote:Too bad you don't know Comp Cams still grind cams for the 2.3.

so you're saying comp cams still has a stash of 2.3 cam blanks laying around? Or are you talking about that they'll do regrinds?

-Trailblazer SS - not so custom 6.0L - custom intake - custom tune
- (1) 2.4L on an engine stand (1) blown trans (2) good quad trans (1) eco trans = party

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 1:16 AM
Last time I checked they still had cams. They don't have anything in the catalogue but they can still do cams for the 2.3.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 6:25 AM
I bought the last set of blanks they said they had in Oct. If they got more inthe last 3 months great if not Ron S has cam blanks on Q4 if needed
Tuesday, January 08, 2008 6:27 AM
old part nuber was 53-0000 or something similar.
Tuesday, January 08, 2008 7:03 AM
QBE wrote:I am tired of repeating myself

tony from CNFX spent 9 hrs on a saturday with an NA ecotec and the cam gears. the ecotec had a pat. head, cams, full exhaust and intake, and after all the time found that the best cam timing was with the stock timing. although this was before HP tuners. but that could change something

you debunk your own argument phil. Nothing against you man, but stop saying the cam gears don't do anything. Your 'test' at the time didn't have all the angles covered.

without properly adjusting the VE tables of the ecu either with HPTuners or a stand alone setup, the 9 hours tony wasted with the gears is just that.. wasted time

what was your afr? what size injectors were you running? what was your spark advance set at? what grade fuel were you running?

if you had stock injectors I garauntee they were clipping. I can also garauntee you didn't have anything richer than 14.7:1 air fuel, you were on stock timing advance and on regular gasoline.

Phil, you won't even get the full effects of flow mods without altering the VE tables. You should realize this having tuned/ owned a turbo charged car. The principals are the same with an all motor car, just not as big of a deal if you're not tuned (when mildly modified).

even with cams just bolted on, you're not seeing the maximum yield without a tune. Same for headers, port work, etc.

there was a lot of untapped power in your setup back then that a tune could have brought out big time.

so I stand by my statement, and I'm geting tired of repeating myself trying to clean up the mess you caused over these gears..
until someone uses the gears on an engine thats TUNED properly stop saying they didn't do anything.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search