ln3 3800 l67 series 1 turbo swap - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ln3 3800 l67 series 1 turbo swap
Thursday, January 03, 2008 10:46 PM
has any one on here done a series 1 l67 turbo swap with an Eaton m62 supercharger to an ln3
i am shure i would need the 2 peice intake manifold
supercharger and possibly a smaller pully for 8 lbs of boost
reprogram the ecu for the swap

am i missing anything

Re: ln3 3800 l67 series 1 turbo swap
Saturday, January 05, 2008 5:13 AM
Yeah, something super-critical: A block with an oiling system that will stand-up to it! There's a reason the old Buick Turbo6s had a special casting, and high boost numbers is it. The factory limited the boost on these engines (i.e.: conservative) so they would insuredly last-out the warranty & be able to run on a commonly available gasoline of a given octane rating (92). The factory Super 3800s may be able to handle a given amount of boost, but not too much more for too long. Of course, I write this gathering that you plan to run a turbo with the blower, which will result in stress on the short-block beyond what it could handle (And belief!). The N/A 3800s (although I have seen a small Paxton bolted up in a Firebird) will never handle what you seem to be thinking of. Try to locate Dutweiler again to see if he has a block that'll match what you intend that has the GM Metric bellhousing bolt pattern and go with that and a remote-mount turbo (it goes after the catalytic converter in place of the muffler) and then procede from there.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Saturday, January 05, 2008 11:26 AM
I'm not sure what you're saying here, do you mean swap a turbo into a previously s/c engine or vise versa?
If you're talking about putting both on, well this is an idea I had a while back. The only issue is that you need to clutch the s/c so that it only runs until the turbo is spooled.

Sunday, January 06, 2008 2:42 PM
buick ln3 is a factory n/a 3800 motor what im looking to do is a conversion to a series 1 l67 by simply using a smaller turbo and boosting it between 3-5 psi in hopes of reaching 200hp as it is now it has 160hp

Sunday, January 06, 2008 8:28 PM
That's alot of pipes to run and I don't think anyone makes a bolt-in kit for your app. Best bet is to find a '84-'86 T-type or GN that has the exhaust manifolds and pipes to scavenge them from and then find someone to help you make a downpipe from the tubo to the rest of the exhaust. After that, you're left with whomever will give advice from the Buick board and having to packeage it. Come to think of it, if you do find a '84-up T-type or GN complete for cheap you're better off grabbing it and making it run right & look right than screwin' around trying to make a Buick Turbo6 powered Cavy with the factory driveline layout. At least the mainstreamers won't think you're an crazy idiot, or try to kill you for commiting such heretical sacrilege with one of the most respected of smaller engines built in the hot rod/street machine community.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Sunday, January 06, 2008 9:52 PM
i just take this over to the buick forum

Sunday, January 06, 2008 10:41 PM
How about look for a smashed turbo Grand Prix, and dump the 3.1 into it? At least then you are at around 200 hp, and it will be almost bolt in like the 3400, best thing is, its OBD 1 and easily chipped.
Sunday, January 06, 2008 10:49 PM
I can accept that, so the others in the mainstream rodding community should too. Sounds alot easier since the major part of it (the pipes) are already taken care of. Sharp, Ryan...

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Thursday, January 10, 2008 9:02 PM
what will the chip produce like 20-30 hp

Thursday, January 10, 2008 10:03 PM
why waste the time and money on a series 1 , just start with a series 2

its alot better way to get and easier to get parts for

Thursday, January 10, 2008 10:12 PM
well i have a ln3 3.8l in the car (btw its a 89 olds 98 regency) and i figured it would stay in the car it's in

Thursday, January 10, 2008 11:25 PM
Jimmy... You asked earlier elsewhere about parts for the Buick 3.8L V-6, and I've just came up with another source: TA Performance. They deal with the mechanical aspect of it, so I think maybe it was them thaty had all the variable stall convertors I mentioned. Try 'em!

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Friday, January 11, 2008 12:09 PM
jgilk1 wrote:i just take this over to the buick forum

thats a really good idea

Friday, January 11, 2008 12:21 PM
Are you wanting to turbocharge the L67 in addition to running the blower, or replace the blower with a turbo?

Either way, the cracking point will be the LN3's transmission. To effectively use a high HP 3800, you'll have to swap to the 4T65E, or watch the L67 shred the Olds' HM440T.

1989 Z24 Convertible - Dust Covered
2006 tC - Dust Covered, but driven more
Saturday, January 12, 2008 1:23 AM
He is so right... The 440T4 just wasn't built as a severe-duty trans. And David, I've been following this guy from post #1 and he wants to essentially make a Buick Turbo6 outta a Super6 3800 (or so I gather). Thing is (and I've told him this before) the 3800 block just isn't built to handle the stress the turbo would put on it. And I don't know what respect he believes he'll find making a GN6 (Let's just use that term in refference to to the Buick Turbo6 since it's easier to type) outta a 3800 using production GN6 parts when he might as well just build the GN or T-type he's thinkin' of getting the parts from, which I doubt will happen since anyone whom has a turbo Buick will be more likely to sell it as whole (in running shape, no less) just to get the maximum money they can from it than part it out. And if the parts are for sale then it means (ussually) that the car's owner has or had built the engine up and they're just clearing the left-overs outta their garage. Even if he does have a "parts only" source, what good would it do him to place this engine in a front-driver? The torque-steer that would be encountered once it spooled-up would be herendous! And even if he placed it in a Cavy (like he suggested earlier) there would be no controling it because the power would kill all traction it barely had after weight transfer occurs. There was a engineering reason behind why the Eldorado & Toronada had such a long wheelbase: So the torque of the "these-days" monsterous engines (500ci or 8.2L in the eldo, 455ci in the toro) wouldn't overwhelm the driver and cause loss of control. At least that's what I gather.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Saturday, January 12, 2008 4:46 PM
ok that makes more sense it would be a good car to do wheel spins but that would be the most it would be capable of as far as parts i have access to a supercharger off a l67 series one and all the pullies belts and all and i also have access to a turbo off a gnx grand national both have cracked blocks and no transmissions and the gnx is really smashed up and neither have salvageabl engines crack blocks, and no heads pistons rods or cranks

Sunday, January 13, 2008 2:05 AM
Here's a thought: Why don't you seek-out a 4th-gen F-body ('93-'03 Camaro or Firebird) to swap those pieces onto? Either setup would be a nice "wake-up" to a 3800 in a RWD platform. Heck, figure out how to combine the two in such an app and run it on E85 and then you'll have something to showoff & be proud of.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Sunday, January 13, 2008 7:29 PM
Ok,i'm new to the sight.But i have a pretty good knowledge of the 3800.Trust when these guys say to swap to the series II if you can.The series I is not a good engine to boost,even if you have the series I s/c.There is a good reason that there isn't much aftermarket for the series I 3800.Now the series II whether you get a s/c or n/a is a much better starting point.For starters the n/a series II makes the same power and close to torque of the s/c series I.Also the series II n/a can hadle boost reliably up to about 8 psi which can get you 280+ hp(crank) easily.You can go either way too,you can use the s/c that you have or you can use the turbo that you can get.The s/c would be alot cheaper and more reliable(as i beat the crap out of my gtp w 136k daily).The n/a is cheaper than getting a s/c series II.The L67 is not a series I s/c and will not fit the series I,the reason it is an eaton m90 and has a longer snout than the eaton m62(the series I s/c) by at least an inch or two.As far as the trans goes,i dont know what fits into these bodys but i would recommend that you get the 4t65e-HD if you can(any 97-03 gtp in a junkyard).You wont have to do anyhting to that trans up to about 300 whp besides basic pcm tuning that you should have anyways for that power level.And if you know these setups,300 whp is alot.Grand prixs are not dyno queens,a gtp making that power will run in the low 13's,imagine that in your car that weighs almost a 1000 lbs less!Anyways,enough of the novel.You can get the series II 3800 n/a or s/c from many 97+ cars in junkyards.Here are some good websites to check out www.zzperformance.com(my favorite),www.intense-racing.com, and www.3800performance.com(its ok,i'd choose the other two)
P.S. I wouldn't recommend twin charging it.Its to complicated and not worth the headache.
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 11:43 PM
Question: The series-II 3800 V-6, is it also found in '97-up F-bodies or only the '98-up? I've had an idea rollin' about in my head and knowing clearly would help a big deal in starting-in on it.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 11:56 PM
you know when @^#$* hit the fan it hits it hard i know where i can get a series II for $300 it's in a 99 buick regal n/a with a blown trans any one know where i could find a trans for less than $150 in my hand?
The girl who owns it did alot of power shifting with an automatic and screwed up the syncro or is there a way to fix the syncro "the trans cant tell what gear it's in

Second question is there a manual tranny available for the l67 series 2?

Thursday, January 17, 2008 5:29 AM
If you are trying to do this swap on a budget then quit now, this swap is not cheap to do it properly. Sencondly if you do go with a series 2 try to find a 99+ (97 is an odd ball year for the PCM (External knock board and all), and the 99+ TB's flow better than the 98's in stock form). You can run a 5-speed behind the L67, I run a 2002 F23 tranny in mine, you will have to get ahold of a camaro flywheel and then have it planned down to the same thinckness of a 2.2 flywheel. You will also need the shifter assembly/cables and a good quality clutch. Once you have all the parts you will have to fab up a sub-frame, mounts and custom wiring harness. If you want to go 5-speed the PCM has to be reprogrammed. I can do the sub-frame/mounts, harness and PCM tuning for you but again if you are tyring to do this on a budget those parts alone might break it.

Quoth the Raven 'Nevermore
raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132

Thursday, January 17, 2008 12:42 PM
You can use any 5 speed manual from a fiero and use a pcm that they can provide for fieros.Go to fastfieros.com or westcoastfiero.com. They have plenty of info about swapping these engines into fieros and they use a manual trans from the fiero and from other v-6 transverse mounted transmissions.I beieve they are working on using the ss cobalt trans too because of how strong it is.Anyways,they have pcm's for a manual trans setup for i think $125.You can get a clutch and flywheel from them too.

You will spend more,but the end result will be a million times better and smoother running too.You can use that engine and trans if you want to from that regal.It will take more diagnosis but that trans sounds like it needs rebuilt.That trans is called the 4t60e and is a decent trans but will not with stand really hard abuse.The 4t65e-HD wil withstand the abuse alot better.The manual trans would be fun but first gear will almost be useless with heavy throttle.THe 4t65e-HD has a lsd from the factory and will spin both tires and is good to about 50mph in 1st,90mph in 2nd,about 125-130ish mph in 3rd and who knows in 4th.Finding a trans for that cheap is going be hard.Go to intense-racing.com,they have very good selection of trans rebuild kits($99.99) and clutch packs too.
Saturday, January 19, 2008 12:53 PM
the thing is big cars around here are cheap and easy to fine for some strangr reason but due to ppl don't have alot of money turbo a super chared cars are hard to find

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search