Looking to paint some engine parts... wondering on temps.. 500F or 1200F? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Looking to paint some engine parts... wondering on temps.. 500F or 1200F?
Thursday, January 03, 2008 12:16 PM
Ok well Dupli has the two engine paints... one for 500 F and the other for 1200 F ... so i am wondering what one to go with? it will be for the cam covers and IDI cover mainly .. and possibly the Timing cover... reason im asking is the colour i want only comes in the 500 F raiting as well im not sure if the 1200 F would be duller then the 500 F one..

let me know...

The First Twin Charged jbody
blue car (R.I.P) - 240whp @7psi..
silver car - 305whp 315lbs.tq @15psi (91 Octane) or 420whp & 425lbs.TQ @20psi (94 octane+Alcohol Injection)
All dynos run on a Mustang dyno

Re: Looking to paint some engine parts... wondering on temps.. 500F or 1200F?
Thursday, January 03, 2008 12:29 PM
Josh maybe look into powder coating or ceramic coating and it would be extremely more durable then painting.

Try these guys: http://www.topguncoatings.com/
Thursday, January 03, 2008 12:34 PM
For the parts you want 500 degree's is more than enough.

FU Tuning

Thursday, January 03, 2008 1:02 PM
John Higgins wrote:For the parts you want 500 degree's is more than enough.

True I know from experience on the cam covers at leaset and to the best of my knowledge my IDI cover is not even high temp. Both look as good as the day I put them on. Ceramic coating would be a good idea for your trubo manifold and turbo and then you could hget the charge pipes done so it all matches.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Thursday, January 03, 2008 3:09 PM
JsUn wrote:Josh maybe look into powder coating or ceramic coating and it would be extremely more durable then painting.
Try these guys: http://www.topguncoatings.com/

the engine is all put together and i don't want to disassemble it... as i would have to take the entire timing assembly apart to pull the cover off and pull the cam gears off to pull the cam covers off... its just not something i want to do... other wise if it was still apart i would for sure just get them powder coated by them.. my old man gets all his stuff coated by them

Wade Jarvis wrote:
John Higgins wrote:For the parts you want 500 degree's is more than enough.

True I know from experience on the cam covers at leaset and to the best of my knowledge my IDI cover is not even high temp. Both look as good as the day I put them on. Ceramic coating would be a good idea for your trubo manifold and turbo and then you could hget the charge pipes done so it all matches.

well the turbo you cant see at all on my car.. other wise yea id paint it up for sure... the manifold is the same thing you can hardly see it.. and the only visable charge piping is 3 bends which are all Stainless steel and polished...
but you just used the 500F stuff? cuz i know yours is still looking very nice...

silver car - 305whp 315lbs.tq @15psi (91 Octane) or 420whp & 425lbs.TQ @20psi (94 octane+Alcohol Injection)
Thursday, January 03, 2008 3:17 PM
500 Degree paint will do fine.

Next year after I get a new manifold made I'll be Ceramic coating it, the turbine, and new downpipe/dump tube... 20% for looks and 40% for Longevity and 40% for function (movement of heat through them).....

My engine has 500 degree paint on it and I've painted and stripped it many times... the only thing I can say, especially with the timing chain case - PREP IS EVERYTHING... so be sure to spend 4 hours prepping and masking and 20 mins painting.

Good luck.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Thursday, January 03, 2008 5:26 PM
Yep I used the 500 degree stuff. I just double checked after I saw the post before posting since I still have a can of it here at my work.

Thursday, January 03, 2008 6:33 PM
SweetnessGT wrote:500 Degree paint will do fine.
Next year after I get a new manifold made I'll be Ceramic coating it, the turbine, and new downpipe/dump tube... 20% for looks and 40% for Longevity and 40% for function (movement of heat through them).....
My engine has 500 degree paint on it and I've painted and stripped it many times... the only thing I can say, especially with the timing chain case - PREP IS EVERYTHING... so be sure to spend 4 hours prepping and masking and 20 mins painting.
Good luck.
-Chris-

oh i will be doing good prep... its all getting polished first then im going to decide what i want painted...so that should be good prep work..

Friday, January 04, 2008 7:52 AM
I hosed all my parts with brake cleaner before painting them. If there is alot of dirt on it I washed it with engine degreaser first. I have also had very good luck using rubbing alchohol to prep parts before painting. If you are unseure about if it will stick you might want to use some adhesion promoter. I used the Bulldog and SEM brands of adhesion promoter.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search