Summit Racing Speed-Pro Hypereutectic Pistons? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Summit Racing Speed-Pro Hypereutectic Pistons?
Tuesday, December 04, 2007 8:21 AM
I am looking to build my 2.2l ohv for a little nitrous. I found these pistons on summit racing, has anyone ever used these? are they any good?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=STL%2DH637AP%2D100MM&autoview=sku

Re: Summit Racing Speed-Pro Hypereutectic Pistons?
Tuesday, December 04, 2007 6:53 PM
I have a set that are waiting to go in my engine. The quality seems really good and they have a nice anti-friction coating. Hypers do well with nitrous so I think they would be a good choice for you. Not to mention how inexpensive they are. Just make sure not to cheap out on the rings. They see alot of stress with n2o, I would go speed pro or sealed power (same company its all federal mogul) premium rings. My premium rings part number is E-531K .500MM but the last part is just the oversize. How much are you planning to bore out? Mine are +.50MM which is .020". My block has a final bore size of 3.524" I am pretty sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, December 09, 2007 9:02 PM

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 11:09 PM
Hey, what static compression numbers do these slugs produce?

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Wednesday, December 05, 2007 6:43 AM
I do believe that they are stock as far as demensions , so they should be right around 8.9-9.0 cr depending on overbore.

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 7:37 PM
I wouldn't waste the money on them. Your paying extra for not much better then stock, spend a little extra go for forged and be done with it.

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 7:54 PM
I don't understand why it would be wasting money. These pistons are cheaper than stock replacements and are from a good company. Hypereutectics offer a good performance advantage. They are cast with a higher silicone content than stock. These pistons do better with heat and expand less, so you can run a tighter cylinder bore. For mild amounts of n2o and boost they should be perfect. Not everyone can afford $400 for a set of pistons. At $18 each you cant go wrong.

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 8:10 PM
RedCavalac wrote:Not everyone can afford $400 for a set of pistons.

Or worse..
Wednesday, December 05, 2007 8:18 PM
^^^ agreed. I will be looking at almost $800 for a custom set for my 2.4L bottom end.

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 8:26 PM
your right, for $18 thats crazzy cheap, you can't beat that price.

Me personally, I would why the pistons only cost $18 each. I wouldn't trust $18 pistons in a motor built for nitrous. I'm a believer in do it right the first time, save money is one thing but on an engine I'd rather do it right once even if it takes me twice as long to make it happen.

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 8:32 PM
mitdr774 wrote:^^^ agreed. I will be looking at almost $800 for a custom set for my 2.4L bottom end.

Thats why its best to get these. I hear people running 12psi+ and 450 hp on stockers, so these should be fine.
Wednesday, December 05, 2007 9:31 PM
Chris Delano wrote:
mitdr774 wrote:^^^ agreed. I will be looking at almost $800 for a custom set for my 2.4L bottom end.

Thats why its best to get these. I hear people running 12psi+ and 450 hp on stockers, so these should be fine.

I'm sorry...........but, you heard WHAT?

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 10:07 PM
Hmm... he has a 3.4dohc... even though that's probably not right for that engine either...

A quick note on expensive pistons... how many times have you seen another part failure cause those be turned into garage conversation pieces? In the case of n2o and the failure rate I'd feel better about $18 pistons than the expensive forged alternative.

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 10:17 PM
yeah i think you heard two different things and then just formed it into one illogical thought and put it on the internet. 12psi on stock ecotec yeah its been done and they run for a good while. 12psi on an ohv yeah ive heard of it being done idont think for long and 450hp? where did that number come from. i know there are some fully built 2.4's on here with 400+hp which is exceptional and a great achievement when building a motor that had 140hp or whatever the exact low number it is to over 250hp+ gain. i dont think i've ever heard of an ohv valve with over 400hp on this forum. Its possible im wrong but im pretty sure yeah no.....

*2012 mazdaspeed3*
Thursday, December 06, 2007 3:26 PM
Are you seriously crying over $400 for pistons?

... omg.

Mine were $1200 for one-offs with full coating and rings and full-floating pins.... not to even mention the custom crank, custom bearings, etc...

If you can't afford to mod - don't. It's that simple.

Cheap parts = cheap parts. Period. To the gentleman who said he'd rather blow cheap $18 pistons than forged ones... well... sorry to say but cheap pistons can neither be made in the configuration I needed nor could they withstand the heat that I throw at them... they are cheap because they are meant for mostly normal use with some abuse.... not an extra 400 hp / 30 psi of abuse. lol. Further to that, if you know how to tune an engine and maintain it right, you won't blow your forged pistons. Paying attention saves a lot of $$$.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Thursday, December 06, 2007 3:57 PM
For those thinking of running spray with hypereutectic pistons, DON'T! Many engine builders warn again the use of nitrous with such pistons, and I've seen factory slugs of this make-up even crack and fragment with just a 150 shot in a LS 5.3L truck engine. I think the only reason these pistons are so cheap is because Speed-Pro decided to grab a share of the FWD tuner market first, then did research as to what cars are commonly build in it and just started making pistons for all the engines found in them. The low cost I'd imagine is result of Speed-Pro's realization that there sadly are many serious builders for our engine (LN2) and decided to just clear what stock they had of them out by lowering the price. I mean, really... $18.00 for a hyoereutectic piston with a skirt, that give around stock compression numbers? I see them in a low-buck rebuild where the improved sealing would be very desirable for efficiency, but that's about it.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Thursday, December 06, 2007 6:29 PM
The cost of the pistons are so low because they are made for claimer engines. In a lot of small circle track racing, if you finish a race in the top of the field your engine can get claimed by another racer. Budget builders and racers dont want to lose thousands if their engine is claimed after a race. The quality and durabilty cannot be worse than a stock piston, so being that these are cheaper than a OEM replacement, why would these be in any way a bad idea. Also if you have supporting ADEQUATE fuel supplement to the nitrous and dont go lean hypers are absolutely fine.

SweetnessGT I am glad that you can spend that much cash on you engine, but I cant afford that. To tell you the truth my entire engine build isnt even going to break $1500. Does that mean that your car is going to undoubtably be faster or last longer? Not to mention if something lets go in either of ours engines, I can put a whole engine back together for less than your sweet custom pistons cost. To each his own, I respect everyones ability and goals but remember that just because I dont have as much money to spend doesnt mean that I cant have a powerful, reliable engine.

Thursday, December 06, 2007 9:28 PM
Yeah wasn;t he the guy claiming to aim for 500hp and then never really talked much about it thereafter???

Maybe that's what on hiatus means...

Friday, December 07, 2007 2:01 AM
Its sad when you have atleast 3g's in a motor with a turbo and you only make 400hp. Did you ever think that he just wants a fun car because he's not trying to prove anything with $1200 special pistons and expensive other parts. If your gonna build a car, build one that your gonna get your $ worth not something that has decent street power that cant even put it to the ground. I love the J cars but i dont love them that much. I have $20,000 in my Stealth and i hate the mother @!#$ its just not worth it IMO. J's should be bolt on cars with spray that look nice. Not wanna be race or street cars. I would deff buy these pistons and use the good rings as someone stated above and make sure you have adequate fuel then spray away within reason. I know people that have their cars professionaly tuned and still burnt up their pistons. It dont matter how much expensive @!#$ you have in your car it can go just the same as the cheap @!#$ at any given time so why not save some $
Friday, December 07, 2007 6:13 AM
Lawrence Biesecker wrote: J's should be bolt on cars with spray that look nice. Not wanna be race or street cars.

LMAO

thats the stupidest most ignorant comment I've seen on his site in a while... congratulations dumbass, your a moron.

If i buy a Honda am I aloud to mod that? What kinda car do I have to buy if I want to put on a turbo? What kind of cars will you let us race? I would hate to have a wanna be street car. LOL

retard

Friday, December 07, 2007 11:07 AM
RedCavalac - while I understand you can't afford to go all out, my point is don't do it unless you can do it right. These pistons are clearly not made for the use you want them for... they clearly aren't much stronger than stock - so why waste the $$$? It's your money to waste, so I say go ahead.... I just personally feel if you can't do something 100% the first time don't. It almost always costs your more time and money in the long run. Also... you said "if something lets go"... my engine is built so nothing will let go from normal use. Tuning error is what will cost me an engine...

I mean sure your point makes sense... "I paid less so I'll pay less to fix it when it breaks..." ... which is fine except.... mine won't break, unless I'm a tuning moron. Furthermore by the time mine MAY break going for the same power levels, you will have broken yours 2-3 times. Now we're getting even on costs... and you are suffering heartache, downtime, etc.

I hope that makes sense. Do it right once and enjoy it is how I look at it.

Lawrence - your point of view actually made me laugh, thanks for the chuckle. First off, a professionally tuned cars that burnt pistons were not tuned properly. No engine should burn a piston when it's setup right - period. Furthermore piston selection does a lot for tuning so I wouldn't be surprised if they were a poor choice for the appication. Secondly, you assume I put in all that $$$ for 400 hp. Ok... sure. If you say so... it's a pity you're wrong. Where you ARE right is the car has trouble laying the power down via traction, but really... that doesn't bother me. See... in Ontario Canada to drive a stealth I'd be forking out 3x as much for insurance, not to mention I'd be under heavy scrutiny from police officers and the insurance industry. It's how it is here... so I need a car that flies under the radar, gets good mileage, and surprises the heck out of anybody that wants to see what it's got. I'm sure you'd be pretty pissed when you went to the track and a J-body walked right by you in your stealth... to me the $$$ saved on insurance alone affords my engine, etc.

Am I showing off with my pistons? not at all... I'm saying for MY APPLICATION I had to spend that much... I WISHED I could have gone with the standard 9:1 weiscos for $400... but sadly my application calls for less compression and something sturdier, due to my running pump gas up to 30 psi... not everybody just thows money around and puts an engine together that they don't understand. Would I love to put $3gs into a V8? Sure! But the emissions laws and insurance b.s and new laws for the police have basically created a situation where I can't even enjoy that car so I have to enjoy it in a different way. I don't live in a lax state where they don't give a crap what I do so long as the car isn't falling apart... they pull you over here to do an on-the-road emissions test. I'd rather not get noticed, thanks. Congratulations, your point was stupid, uneducated, unsupported and mostly backed with the logic of a jealous 5 year old.

With all that said... I still maintain - every piston has its use. For THESE pistons I would put them in a mostly stock n/a refresher motor... not a nitrous or boost motor. Heat alone will take their toll on them, not to mention the force of compression from both of those avenues. Be smart, just do it right the first time. $400 pistons will do the trick and last a long time so long as you tune it right and keep everything koshur... not everybody needs $1200 pistons but then again not everybody wants to pass the 500 horsepower mark on pump gas.

Either way good luck to you, I just know I wouldn't follow the route you're taking.

Darkstars - I agree with you completely. Some people just don't understand the point of modding a car, and the concept of doing it right the first time. Ignorance is something that seems to be deep-rooted in individuals, as well as stubbornness. If somebody is too stupid or too stubborn or too self-absorbed to take advice after asking for it because all they wanted was a confirmation that their poor theory is in fact a good one... then... they are on their own. I'll just have my little chuckle when I find out that I was right, which has happened many many times over the last 7 years. See you again at the bash I do hope.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Friday, December 07, 2007 11:30 AM
Im going to copy someones sig on this one.....

Cheap, Fast, Reliable...... Choose 2

ALSO Chris GET YOUR ASS TO WI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (bring some beernannas)

Friday, December 07, 2007 11:35 AM
Lawrence Biesecker wrote:Its sad when you have atleast 3g's in a motor with a turbo and you only make 400hp. Did you ever think that he just wants a fun car because he's not trying to prove anything with $1200 special pistons and expensive other parts. If your gonna build a car, build one that your gonna get your $ worth not something that has decent street power that cant even put it to the ground. I love the J cars but i dont love them that much. I have $20,000 in my Stealth and i hate the mother @!#$ its just not worth it IMO. J's should be bolt on cars with spray that look nice. Not wanna be race or street cars. I would deff buy these pistons and use the good rings as someone stated above and make sure you have adequate fuel then spray away within reason. I know people that have their cars professionaly tuned and still burnt up their pistons. It dont matter how much expensive @!#$ you have in your car it can go just the same as the cheap @!#$ at any given time so why not save some $

you my friend.......are a tool

Friday, December 07, 2007 11:58 AM
^I don't know if Larry's a 'tool" but by contrast of what Sweetness has said, I doubt he's any kinda "wrench" to speak of.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Friday, December 07, 2007 1:45 PM
lol... all I'm saying is.. he wants those pistons for nitrous... they aren't good for that application. I'd put them in a stock refresher or stock compression n/a motor...

Every part has its use. This one isn't boost / nitrous. There is a reason why boosted motors from factory usually come with forged parts. Nitrous / Boost motors are under a tremendous amount more stress from compression alone, let alone controlling heat in the cylinder and on the pistons. I wouldn't want an iffy piston to be in my motor under those conditions...

Anyway whatever. It's a j-body site.. everybody's budget for 400 hp is $3.... good luck to ya.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Friday, December 07, 2007 3:01 PM
Agreed, Sweet. I've got friends in the "classic" ranks who respect what 4-cyl's do these days so they're glad to pass any knowledge they've gained on to me. And here's what they've said: Hypereutectic pistons are nice for stock "driver" rebuilds best. You may run some spray on them (150hp max they've done, and paid.) or at most 6psi boost, but after that the heat and pressure levels become too much and they begin to crack then shatter (Remember that 5.3L I meantioned?). Heck, even cast pistons aren't trusted to that much stress. That's why every time I see one of the guys do a build in serious pursuit of power, they always put in forged slugs to take no chances.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search