Pontiac Solstice GXP engine in a Cavalier - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Pontiac Solstice GXP engine in a Cavalier
Saturday, November 24, 2007 5:46 PM
Does anyone know if the Pontiac Solstice GXP turbo engine and 6 speed tranny will fit in a 2000 Cavalier? This is the same motor that will be going into the 2008 SS Cobalt.

Thanks,

Devan Newman

Re: Pontiac Solstice GXP engine in a Cavalier
Saturday, November 24, 2007 5:51 PM
Solstice is a RWD vehicle.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Saturday, November 24, 2007 5:59 PM
as of now there is no way to manage the ignition to the engine. transmission is for rwd so it isn't transverse. can it be done? sure! Do you have the creativity to make it work? well..thats up to you. as of now there, there is no way of making it work.

Saturday, November 24, 2007 6:00 PM
as of now there is no way to manage the ignition to the engine. transmission is for rwd so it isn't transverse. can it be done? sure! Do you have the creativity to make it work? well..thats up to you. as of now there, there is no easy way of making it work.

Saturday, November 24, 2007 7:35 PM
Someone should just DO this already.

I wish I could fathom spending that amount of money for that. Id rather have the GXP, its pretty sweet.
Saturday, November 24, 2007 7:44 PM
The problem with the swap goes on the crank. The 2.4vvt, LSJ, and LNF (2.0L turbo) all use a different reluctor wheel. This has different amount of teeth then the 2.2L eco. The ignition system runs off this reluctor wheel, which is a machined part of the crank. They can't be swapped out either. So this means you'd need to run the cobalt/solstice wiring harness/computer. The body harness from any other car wouldn't be compatible to the body of a cavalier. That's the holdup on the swap. Shifted is working on custom tuned ecus that could be tuned to use the newer reluctor wheel which would blow the swap wide open. but for now...there are no solutions other then stand alone engine management.

Saturday, November 24, 2007 8:42 PM
why would u even want to?

the 2.2 ecotec with the same amount of boost would produce the same amount of power if not more. for the money envolved with swapping over to the 2.0 turbo you could just spend the money on the turbo parts suffiecient to run those kind of numbers.

Saturday, November 24, 2007 9:01 PM
z yaaaa wrote:why would u even want to?

the 2.2 ecotec with the same amount of boost would produce the same amount of power if not more. for the money envolved with swapping over to the 2.0 turbo you could just spend the money on the turbo parts suffiecient to run those kind of numbers.

far better bottom end engine design. not to mention the LNF has direct injection...there's A LOT of reasons. More overall potential without a rebuild

Saturday, November 24, 2007 9:06 PM
ok, thats some reasons WHY... but are they really worth the time/money/effort in getting them, when you can get the same amount of happiness with just sticking to the 2.2?

Saturday, November 24, 2007 9:19 PM
z yaaaa wrote:ok, thats some reasons WHY... but are they really worth the time/money/effort in getting them, when you can get the same amount of happiness with just sticking to the 2.2?

Agreed. For the amount of money and time you will spend on the swap why not just build a L61, hell everyone else is...

So what the stock lsj motor can take more abuse, for the money you'd spend on buying one of those why not just buy the eagle rods and wiseco pistons for the l61 and put them in, it'll cost the same or even less...

Used LSJ's go for between $2000-$2500 from what I've seen.

$350 for rods, $475 for pistons, that's only $825, and you've got a bottom end that's stronger than the lsj, this is really starting to seem like a no brainer, considering you'd still have $1675 to spend on other things as well. That can almost piece together a turbo kit right there. And you haven't even started talking about all the computer b.s. that you're going to have to deal with. Save yourself the headache, go get a standard L61 and build it then swap that in there, less hassles for the same or better performance.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Saturday, November 24, 2007 9:21 PM

---------------------------------------------------
4 Cams...32 Valves...5 Liters...This Could Get Fun!

Saturday, November 24, 2007 11:48 PM
I thought the direct injection made it super hard to tune as well?

Sunday, November 25, 2007 12:29 AM
how about 260 hp that'll go 100k miles no big deal?

Sunday, November 25, 2007 6:16 AM
So you're saying that a forged L61 w/ 260 FLYWHEEL horsepower which w/ a 15% driveline loss is only 221 whp won't go 100,000 miles? You're kidding....right?

Sunday, November 25, 2007 9:03 AM
Um...for the amount spent converting a cav, you could probably afford a solstice...(I'd personally rather have the solstice, RWD is more fun to play with)

Sunday, November 25, 2007 9:14 AM
haha. its not going to cost 25k to convert. if you dont see it...you don't see it.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 10:01 AM
A Solstice GXP might as well be 28k. Time and money on a eco swap...well let's see, around 800 for a junkyard eco, little over 800 for internals, then you've got some pcm bs to deal with, all told could be done for just the cost of an lsj. Now the rwd thing would be temping. Yeah it would make the car more "fun". But I don't know about you, but when my car is on the road, it's TONS of fun to drive. But then again I'm one of the lucky ones that have a ton of suspension work along with a decent amount of hp to go along with it.

Personally if it came down to it, given a choice between my cav and a stock solstice...I'll take mine everytime. Even if you want to go ahead and make the solstice "even" to what my car is, considering I bought mine brand new, sticker was 19k, paid 13k, then add in the extras, turbo, suspension, body kit, I could've bought a solstice, but then again where's the fun in that. I've had way more fun "building" my car than I would ever have just upgrading a car that had decent power from the factory.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 1:41 PM
Saturn Sky Redline ftw!

Sunday, November 25, 2007 1:48 PM
^^ word son

Sunday, November 25, 2007 7:01 PM
Shoot... For what it's worth, I'll mention it: GMPP/Hot Rod Magazine's LS6-pwr'd Solstice. They make the kit, you may hafta search for some of the driveline parts (Caddy STS rear diff & housing) and do a bit of fab work, but it'll be a killer sleeper that'll whomp all-over any tuner you might come across. See the magazine for the article. It is a giant killer!

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Sunday, November 25, 2007 8:58 PM
Skunk v.2K4 wrote:A Solstice GXP might as well be 28k. Time and money on a eco swap...well let's see, around 800 for a junkyard eco, little over 800 for internals, then you've got some pcm bs to deal with, all told could be done for just the cost of an lsj. Now the rwd thing would be temping. Yeah it would make the car more "fun". But I don't know about you, but when my car is on the road, it's TONS of fun to drive. But then again I'm one of the lucky ones that have a ton of suspension work along with a decent amount of hp to go along with it.

Personally if it came down to it, given a choice between my cav and a stock solstice...I'll take mine everytime. Even if you want to go ahead and make the solstice "even" to what my car is, considering I bought mine brand new, sticker was 19k, paid 13k, then add in the extras, turbo, suspension, body kit, I could've bought a solstice, but then again where's the fun in that. I've had way more fun "building" my car than I would ever have just upgrading a car that had decent power from the factory.

I'm talking an LNF motor in a cav. Buy a motor for say...1200 or so. You're actually CHEAPER then a built eco at that point. Mounting isn't rediculous, but I'm doubting its a bolt up unless maybe you could switch oil pans....but thats all figure it out when ya get to that point. turbo already attached too... 6 spd is more trouble then its worth really. So...even with a standalone you're FAR cheaper then a solstice lol. Wiring can be had for 500 or so...just a matter of making it work. But don't act like you can get a solstice cheaper...PLEASE. Spare me the it can't be done speech.

Monday, November 26, 2007 1:24 AM
the rwd trans is a direct bolt. no mods needed.

12.5@116 2.0 60ft

Monday, November 26, 2007 5:37 AM
Nickelin Dimer wrote:Shoot... For what it's worth, I'll mention it: GMPP/Hot Rod Magazine's LS6-pwr'd Solstice. They make the kit, you may hafta search for some of the driveline parts (Caddy STS rear diff & housing) and do a bit of fab work, but it'll be a killer sleeper that'll whomp all-over any tuner you might come across. See the magazine for the article. It is a giant killer!

I love that car.

Monday, November 26, 2007 12:13 PM
WHY THE FARK IS THIS EVEN IN THE PERFORMANCE FORUM ???????????????

Pontiac Solstice GXP engine in a Cavalier - Performance Forum
Discussions about performance modifications to j-body automobiles which do not involve any kind of forced induction or nitrous. Topics in any way related to turbo or supercharger should go in the Boost forum, and nitrous topics in the Nitrous Oxide forum.

HIGHLIGHTED FOR THE BLIND

Monday, November 26, 2007 8:34 PM
Why not use the LNF with the FWD transmission?

It isnt all that expensive to do it, 75% or more of the cost is from the engine and ecm. If you can get that for cheap, mounting and installing it would, IMO, cost 600-800 bucks in misc. stuff. I would think if someone could stuff the motor into the engine bay of a cavailer, they would be crazy enough to make it run, otherwise they would go mad from just looking at sitting in there driveway non-running.

now The L61 Powered Fiero
PURE DICE, PURE Design.Innovation.Creation.Excellence.
Monday, November 26, 2007 8:49 PM
Quote:

I'm talking an LNF motor in a cav.

LNF, isn't that the 2200, what a waste of time and money that would be.

Quote:

Buy a motor for say...1200 or so

Good luck with this one, the LSJ is around 2500 or so at a junkyard. L61's go for between 600-1000. And chances are the turbo/supercharger won't be on the engine when you buy it. So tack on another few hundred. If you're looking at an "easy" swap just go L61 and call it a day, that way you won't need a complete stand alone ems. With all of the other ecotecs, LE5 and post 2006 LSJ you will need a stand alone because of the reluctor ring. L61 is 6x and all others are 56x...I believe, but a little searching and I'm sure the answers will become clear.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search