Patriot head for 2.2 ohv questions - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Patriot head for 2.2 ohv questions
Friday, November 23, 2007 2:54 PM
I was looking into options for building my motor. Seeing how a port and polish wakes up the ohv, I looked into it. There are no local options. As far as i know, there are no flow benches in newfoundland. So i would have to mail the head away, which would put me up around the price as the patriot head anyways. Swaping the motor is out of the question, and i dont want to hear about how much of a waste it is to do anything with an ohv. During my research, i read that the stage 2 head has 1mm oversized valves, would the ones from car customs fit? Im guessing tey would, but there might be something. Also, are the valves Karo sells the same between the 2200 and 2.2? I would also like to know about shaving the head. I didnt find anything that suggests patriot shaves their heads, but i would like it because I don't plan on any boost or any bottom end work, and the raise in compression would be nice. I plan on upgrading the valves to the 1mm+ valves, roller rockers (1.5 or 1.6, dont know) and springs, then getting a cam regrind. Id like to see 135+hp to the wheels with all of this plus what I already have, and i think it could happen . Anything else i should know you can think of? I know there have been a lot of 2.2/2200 talk lately, so there should be a few people who can help me.

Re: Patriot head for 2.2 ohv questions
Saturday, November 24, 2007 8:01 AM
The last I heard from Patriot Performance, they were only doing a Stage I Build of the OHV's head. If you contact them, they can machine the valve seats for whatever valves you send them. The should be able to do the valve spring seats also. These would be at an additional charge, but I wouldn't think it would be any more than what a machine shop would charge you. Speak with them before you do anything, to make sure all you want can be done.

S.I Valves makes the valves that Karo at CarCustoms.net sells. Talk to Karo and/or S.I.Valves to see if you can get some custom sized intake valves made. I would say 1.811"(46mm or +2mm) would be ideal. I think anything larger would require new valve seats. The +1mm exhaust valves are sufficient, for the exhaust side. REV can make the valves, as they have done them for another JBO member. The +2mm valves make a decent jump in power, even over the +1mm valves and the work well with a moderate cam. The Chevrolet Power Guide, 6th Edition had a 2.0L OHV build, i which they used 1.84" intake valves with stock diameter exhaust valves, but you had to get the stock intake valve seats pulled and machined for larger valve seats. That might be okay for an all out race motor, but might be over kill for a street motor.

As I mentioned above about machining the valve spring seats, this is to put in the GMPP LS6 valve springs (or the Comp Cams LSx valve springs). These springs have a higher seat pressure and will allow for more lift and rpms than the stock LN2 spring will allow. These springs are good to .570" lift, which I think you'll end up hitting the piston before you reach that much lift and allow you to run upto the rev limiter without any valve float.

As for cams, call you favorite cam grinder and talk to them and see what they recommend. Personally I think you can get by with a regrind by Isky Racing Cams. The regrind would be intake lobe HR-501, ground 1* advanced and an exhaust lobe HR-500 ground one degree retarded. This would give you a cam profile of 209* @.050" duration with .496" lift (w/1.6 rocker arms) intake, 217* @ .050" duration and .517" lift (w/ 1.6 rocker arms) exhaust, an intake C/L of 108* and a lobe separation of 212*. This cam should give you a HP peek around 6000 rpms (250 rpm before the rev limiter kicks in).

The intake plenum/throttle body will still be a restriction here. You will need to find a machine shop to bore you TB oversized. If you can, find a 56mm 2.3L Quad4 TB and use the throttle blade out of it and have the machine shop bore the LN2's cast in TB to match the 2.3's blade. I'd also see about getting a 5/8"-3/4" Plenum spacer made, since the plenum volume is a bit small for the mid to upper rpm ranges. I made one out of red oak wood for my motor, but Phenolic resin or aluminum will work also. Don't forget to make a spacer for the part of the throttle bracket that bolts to the valve cover and to get longer bolts to make up for the spacers.

Saturday, November 24, 2007 8:23 AM
Hey man. I'm a newfoundlander too. Sign up here and ask, if there is one, they will know. CLICK ME! CLICK ME!. We are getting a J run on the go sometime next spring. Might see you there.

*2000 Cavalier sedan*
Saturday, November 24, 2007 9:08 AM
I know you were refering to Steve above, but I thought I might add this. I haven't been to Newfoundland, but in a round-a-bout way, I am a "Skreecher". A Newfi friend of mine did a a little Sckreeching at a party we had for his birthday. What a night that was! lol

Saturday, November 24, 2007 2:24 PM
Thanks Madjack, I knew you would come in and give me some solid advice! I was thinking about getting my head shaved maybe .015" or .020" and using a thinner head gasket aswell. Would that require shorter pushrods? Im slowly learning. Any idea on how the torque curve would look with that cam? It seems to be a fairly agressive cam, which is what I want. Thanks for your help! Oh, and how far can the 2.2 ohv throttle body go? Im guessing 56mm would be big enough for a N/A 2.2 ohv.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search