2.4L vote what should i do? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4L vote what should i do?
Tuesday, November 13, 2007 9:13 PM
well as of right now i am the proud owner of a 3000 pd z24 4 door paper weight. the car ran completely out of oil on the way to pick up my daughter tonight. "i believe the failure was a bad oil preesure sensor broke and in tail spude all of the oil in my car all down I-87. i sat at a sunco gas station for three hours trying to get home with my car. long story short before i got to the statoni heard the beautifull sound of number three playing the lovely song of FU. yes it had full oil i checked it the night before.i didn't feel any power loss or anything one minute i was driving the next the red light of low oil rears it;'s head and i cut off 2 lanes of traffic to get to an off ramp.
Well that leaves me in quite a situation. i have 3 options right now.
1.buy a rebuild kit and rebuild the motor.
2.buy a used motor. "their are none with low milage for under 1000"
3.Buy a remain and swap that in.
Any thoughts or comments are accepted. i have had a rough night. sorry for the rant.
it had a 101 thousand miles on the od.

Re: 2.4L vote what should i do?
Tuesday, November 13, 2007 9:31 PM
I would break it down first to see if it's even rebuildable....it so, I'd rebuild it it you have the proper tools and whatnot.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 9:58 PM
Just search long and hard for a junkyard 2.4. That's what I did when I blew mine up, after about 3 weeks I managed to source a 59k engine for $900, then had it shipped freight for like $75. The end result was a grand for the engine, if you've got time I recommend this route.

A rebuild kit would be the next route, but as stated above there could be a hell of a lot of damage to the bottom end.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 4:00 AM
Thanks.today i am going to see what happened.
my options i looked into.
1. rebuild kit about 1000 dollars give or take plus machine shop work to check the crank. as stated if the block is good also. I have all the tools to do it. my friends garge that i have helped at over the years will help me.
2.junkyard u\sed simpilist probablly but the motor will be a wrry for me.
3. reman i checked on line those are like 2700 and change not including shipping.probably the most expensive option.
I have one final option.
4 find a wrecked 02-05 ls or base and bolt in the ecotec hardware.-probably the hardest to do and the hardest to find but stil in my price range .

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 4:19 AM
an idea you might want to investigate, but sorry to hear about it man.
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/store/1997---1999-MalibuCavalier-24-LD9-New-Goodwrench-Engine-12462258-P42C61.aspx

By the way i didn't know the 3000 year models were out yet?! J/K

NightmaresCavy wrote:well as of right now i am the proud owner of a 3000 pd z24 4 door paper weight. the car ran completely out of oil on the way to pick up my daughter tonight. "i believe the failure was a bad oil preesure sensor broke and in tail spude all of the oil in my car all down I-87. i sat at a sunco gas station for three hours trying to get home with my car. long story short before i got to the statoni heard the beautifull sound of number three playing the lovely song of FU. yes it had full oil i checked it the night before.i didn't feel any power loss or anything one minute i was driving the next the red light of low oil rears it;'s head and i cut off 2 lanes of traffic to get to an off ramp.
Well that leaves me in quite a situation. i have 3 options right now.
1.buy a rebuild kit and rebuild the motor.
2.buy a used motor. "their are none with low milage for under 1000"
3.Buy a remain and swap that in.
Any thoughts or comments are accepted. i have had a rough night. sorry for the rant.
it had a 101 thousand miles on the od.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 4:23 AM
yeah yeah 2002 and the engine you listed is the older one.
Option number 4 also has advantages the motor and tranny with less miles is cheapear combined than a 2.4

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, November 14, 2007 4:36 AM

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 4:37 AM
I say you will be better of finding a motor in the junkyards. TO do a cheap rebuild you are going to be at least $1000, plus the time. You still do not know if the crank is good or not. It might just need polished, it might need turned, it might not be able to have either done. In my opinion if you are going to rebuild then it should be with better stuff. Which is more money. Car-parts.com you can usually find a nice motor with a warranty. Keep the old motor for a build (if it is something you would consider later).

FU Tuning

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 5:56 AM
Seriously I would swap in an ecotec.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 4:07 PM
the ecotec with motor trans and complements is like 1100 dollars. installed by me of course. the 2.4 is around 1200-1300 for a decent milage one. i found a complete ecotec motor for 350 with 45,00 on the clock. they want 800 for a 2.4 with 77,000 on it. it just docent seem like a good deal to me.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 4:21 PM
If your swaping in a new motor, go with the ECO, there is way more aftermarket, and, its got less miles!

While its off do a bit a refurb, not that it would probably need it, but why not do it before putting it in to put your mind at rest.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 6:52 PM
NightmaresCavy wrote:the ecotec with motor trans and complements is like 1100 dollars. installed by me of course. the 2.4 is around 1200-1300 for a decent milage one. i found a complete ecotec motor for 350 with 45,00 on the clock. they want 800 for a 2.4 with 77,000 on it. it just docent seem like a good deal to me.

Exactly! The ecotecs are much easier to find especially with lower milage than a 2.4. Every junkyard seems to hold onto the 2.4 like it is gold because they no they are not as reliable and that they will sell it. There is not the demand for ecotecs that there is for 2.4 since the cars ecotecs came in are newer most still are out on the road going strong.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 7:37 PM
Wade Jarvis wrote:
NightmaresCavy wrote:the ecotec with motor trans and complements is like 1100 dollars. installed by me of course. the 2.4 is around 1200-1300 for a decent milage one. i found a complete ecotec motor for 350 with 45,00 on the clock. they want 800 for a 2.4 with 77,000 on it. it just docent seem like a good deal to me.

Exactly! The ecotecs are much easier to find especially with lower milage than a 2.4. Every junkyard seems to hold onto the 2.4 like it is gold because they no they are not as reliable and that they will sell it. There is not the demand for ecotecs that there is for 2.4 since the cars ecotecs came in are newer most still are out on the road going strong.

i dont agree with the not as reliable part its more along the lines of the 2.4l is no longer released in vehicles anymore so its alittle more rare. since the ecotec is still in production and in almost every gm model they will be a dime a dozen. just like fords zetec motor ton out there in alot of different models.

i'd agree with tear it down and see what you got alot of members have a lot major parts for good prices including cranks so i would spend time rebuilding it and throw the cams in there while a part. i just rebuilt the bottom end of mine and had about $500 to $600 in it when completely done (check my reg for more of what i did) wish i would of did cams and new lifters while it was a part. to have my crank turned and polished $120 and rods redone about $30 to $40. all you have to do is find a local machine shop. mine was through carquest but most napa also have a machine shop too. just my thoughts tho.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 9:10 AM
well i just got a beater a 5 speed van. the cavy will sit for the winter.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 9:16 AM
NightmaresCavy wrote:well i just got a beater a 5 speed van. the cavy will sit for the winter.

MOD THE VAN >

Thursday, November 15, 2007 11:17 AM
the van will be gutted the first day. empty van=better mpg. plus now i can pick up the motor and stuff with out asking to borrow a truck. i might put in a cd deck if it doesn't have one.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search