quick cam question - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
quick cam question
Monday, November 12, 2007 4:46 PM
im trying to take a look at my cams but i cant get my cover off... i have all of the bolts but it seems like it has a lip under the timing chain houseing. will it slip out or do i need to remove the timeing chain housing?

Re: quick cam question
Monday, November 12, 2007 4:57 PM
what engine?

Monday, November 12, 2007 5:03 PM
2.4 ld9
in a 1997 cav
Monday, November 12, 2007 5:14 PM
you will ave to pull the timing housing away from the block. Remove the cover, remove the chain, gears, guides, and tensioner. There are 4 bolts at the end of each cam housing, 4 that come though the oil pan into the bottom of the housing, and 5 that go around the #1 main area. Also there are 3 nuts for the water pump. Once the timing housing is loose you can pull it away from the block and take your cam housings off.

Monday, November 12, 2007 5:19 PM
... that blows... how easy would this be without removing the motormount? or wheel
Monday, November 12, 2007 5:29 PM
impossible

Monday, November 12, 2007 5:32 PM
I don't know much about the 2.4 and I don't pretend to but...

I can't see having to remove the timing cover, the timing chain, the cam gears, timing belt tensioner, and the water pump just to the pull the vavle cover off...

Monday, November 12, 2007 5:35 PM
The cam housings have 4 bolts in each on that got through the timing housing and into the cam housing. I just did a HG in my 98 Z and have had my 02 apart way to many times, trust me it has to come apart.

Monday, November 12, 2007 5:42 PM
that is absolutely retarded

LOL

ecotec FTW a 10mm socket and a 13mm socket and about 10 minuets and the valve cover is off LOL

Monday, November 12, 2007 5:48 PM
well i guess GM had to cut back somewhere for development costs, and took sheer simplicity over power....LD9 = ownage

Monday, November 12, 2007 5:49 PM
Agreed but the "Quad" family hardly ever needs to come apart so its not really a problem. They did the Eco the way they did for ease of replacing the broken timing chains.

but seriously though it all has to come apart, regardless of how much it sucks. Just dont drop any of the lifters or the tensioner plunger.

Monday, November 12, 2007 6:19 PM
Yeah, the quad family motors are easily one of the dumbest designs for an inline engine. You would think that they would like to make it easy for you to get to the cams since they are on top...not the case.

But

mitdr774 wrote:you will ave to pull the timing housing away from the block. Remove the cover, remove the chain, gears, guides, and tensioner. There are 4 bolts at the end of each cam housing, 4 that come though the oil pan into the bottom of the housing, and 5 that go around the #1 main area. Also there are 3 nuts for the water pump. Once the timing housing is loose you can pull it away from the block and take your cam housings off.

all true, except the housing doesn't need to come off to get the cams out.

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Monday, November 12, 2007 6:23 PM
Brian Whalen wrote:Yeah, the quad family motors are easily one of the dumbest designs for an inline engine. You would think that they would like to make it easy for you to get to the cams since they are on top...not the case.

But

mitdr774 wrote:you will ave to pull the timing housing away from the block. Remove the cover, remove the chain, gears, guides, and tensioner. There are 4 bolts at the end of each cam housing, 4 that come though the oil pan into the bottom of the housing, and 5 that go around the #1 main area. Also there are 3 nuts for the water pump. Once the timing housing is loose you can pull it away from the block and take your cam housings off.

all true, except the housing doesn't need to come off to get the cams out.

doesnt need to come off? so once i get the cover off ill see a couple bolts holding the covers on?

to support my engine is it ok to just throw some blocks under it and put a towel inbetween or something?
Monday, November 12, 2007 6:30 PM
^^^^ You'll want to at least use a jack stand, because you are going to have to raise and lower the engine to
A) remove the crank pulley
and
B) remove the three 15mm (might be 17mm) top engine mount bolts that go into the block.

also, the water pump doesn't have to be removed either. Once you get the tensioner removed, you can get the timing chain off easily

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, November 12, 2007 6:32 PM

-

Monday, November 12, 2007 6:32 PM
Didnt say it had to come off, just pulled away from the block. Ive only done this to many times to know.

Monday, November 12, 2007 6:33 PM
i should underdrive it while im there... anyone know a site that has coupons for the unorthadox ud pulley?
Monday, November 12, 2007 6:36 PM
mitdr774 wrote:Didnt say it had to come off, just pulled away from the block. Ive only done this to many times to know.

Then you wasted your time, because the cam towers will come off without moving the housing at all. The only thing you need to pull the timing chain housing back for, is when removing or installing the head.

-

Monday, November 12, 2007 6:41 PM
Brian Whalen wrote:
mitdr774 wrote:Didnt say it had to come off, just pulled away from the block. Ive only done this to many times to know.

Then you wasted your time, because the cam towers will come off without moving the housing at all. The only thing you need to pull the timing chain housing back for, is when removing or installing the head.

ok now im confused...
remove just the cover or move the whle housing?
Monday, November 12, 2007 6:42 PM
Yep the whole extra 15min for removal and reinstall was a waste of time to be sure that i didnt damage the gaskets for the cam housings.

Monday, November 12, 2007 6:52 PM
mitdr774 wrote:Yep the whole extra 15min for removal and reinstall was a waste of time to be sure that i didnt damage the gaskets for the cam housings.

so instead you risk the integrity of the timing chain housing seal ... I've opened up the motor at least 20 times and will be doing it again this weekend and have yet to damage the timing chain to cam tower gasket on etiher cam. But I usually buy new gaskets anyways as insurance.

Daniel Garcia wrote:
Brian Whalen wrote:

ok now im confused...

You can do it either way with the same end result...but the cover has to come off first regardless.

-

Monday, November 12, 2007 6:58 PM
You do have to remove the timing chain housing cover, chain, guides, gears to take the cam housings off the motor. The timing chain housing does not have to come off if replace the cams. You do not need blocks to hold the motor. The lower motor mount will support the motor, but you will be raising and lowering the motor a few times to get the uper mount off, pulley off and those 10mm bolts on the timing chain housing cover off. It really does not take long if you knwo what your doing.

Quote:

ecotec FTW a 10mm socket and a 13mm socket and about 10 minuets and the valve cover is off LOL

Well the LD9 has you beat. 13mm wrench, or socket 4 bolts and the Valve cover (so to speak ) is off on a LD9. At least closest thing to a valve cover.

Now I'm in no way saying this is possible, but I always thought it might be never got a chance to try. You might be able to remove the timing chain housing cover and leave the chain and gears guides on, but lossen the top 2 10mm bolts behind the cam gear to take the cam covers off (but you would not be able to remove the cams). This would only be helpful for a gasket replacment on the cam cover, or to look at the cams, but again I do not know this would work, but might.

FU Tuning

Monday, November 12, 2007 7:09 PM
Brian Whalen wrote:

You can do it either way with the same end result...but the cover has to come off first regardless.

so

support engine
remove motor mount
remove cover
remove the timing chain housing to valve cover bolts
and lift carefully?
Monday, November 12, 2007 7:12 PM
Brian Whalen wrote:
mitdr774 wrote:Yep the whole extra 15min for removal and reinstall was a waste of time to be sure that i didnt damage the gaskets for the cam housings.

so instead you risk the integrity of the timing chain housing seal ... I've opened up the motor at least 20 times and will be doing it again this weekend and have yet to damage the timing chain to cam tower gasket on etiher cam. But I usually buy new gaskets anyways as insurance.

Daniel Garcia wrote:
Brian Whalen wrote:

ok now im confused...

The Cam housing to head gaskets are the ones i was referring to. I have reused the chain housing to cam housing gaskets more times than i care to remember.

Monday, November 12, 2007 7:21 PM
John Higgins wrote:Now I'm in no way saying this is possible, but I always thought it might be never got a chance to try. You might be able to remove the timing chain housing cover and leave the chain and gears guides on, but lossen the top 2 10mm bolts behind the cam gear to take the cam covers off (but you would not be able to remove the cams). This would only be helpful for a gasket replacment on the cam cover, or to look at the cams, but again I do not know this would work, but might.

You will create unwarrented stress on the cam lobe inside the the timing chain housing from the force of the timing chain and the valve springs/lifters. The cam towers keep the cam level, by applying stress to the opposite end.

Daniel Garcia wrote:
Brian Whalen wrote:

so

support engine
remove motor mount
remove accessory belt and crank pulley
remove cover
remove timing chain tensioner and timing chain
remove cam gear(s)
remove the timing chain housing to valve cover bolts
remove 10 cam tower to head bolts and seperate the top half of the tower from the bottom
and lift carefully?

fixed

-

Monday, November 12, 2007 7:27 PM
dont i have to do something to make sure my timing doesnt go off while the chain isnt hooked up?^^^^^^^^^^^
im not too sure how to retime it all either

z24 - CAI - Magnaflow Cat - PaceSetters
--exhaust and unorthadox pulley soon
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search