JBweld on intake manifold - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
JBweld on intake manifold
Friday, October 26, 2007 11:43 AM
Okay well as everyone knows i got a HO intake manifold from mantapart, and it was suppose to have the 2.4 flange welded on, which is why i paid 190 for it. Now they @!#$ it up by trying to port match it to the head so now its useless. Will it work if I add material in the runners this case JBweld then port match it to the head? Please help cause i spend almost 200 on this piece of @!#$ from a piece of @!#$ company called mantapart.

Heres a pic of one of the runners....

GMR has got nothing on this

Re: JBweld on intake manifold
Friday, October 26, 2007 11:50 AM
Ive seen JB weld used in situations like this before, on older cars, that were beaters. The work that was done held untill the cars were disposed of.

You'd have to skuff the port so the JBWeld has something to grab on to, and then wait a while before grinding at it.

Id recommend however, assuming you can do your own grinding, that you just take it to a shop and have them add weld to the runners that you can then grind, blend and smooth out. This would be the more "professional" approach, and more long lasting. Id feel uneasy that my engine could pull a hunk of JB into it at any time. Specially since you arent making the car just to run, like a beater.

Ive seen the JB weld part done before, and ive had similar work done to a friends prelude before with the welding.

good luck and @!#$ Mantapart.
Friday, October 26, 2007 11:56 AM
I thought of that, but that is not a good idea at all. JBweld isnt as strong as they say it is, and say a piece would break off and go into your motor.

Those ports dont realy match at all though, @!#$ mantapart. Some people dont even do anything to match the ports and dont have a problem, but i understand if your building a motor and want it to flow evenly. Id say maybe you could dremel the edges of the ports a bit to make it more of a b shape. My manifold is portmatched, looks like it was dremeled and isnt perfect but works fine and I havnt had any problems.

Friday, October 26, 2007 12:41 PM
Definitely have someone weld into it to add material and then port match and grind it smooth from there.

Friday, October 26, 2007 2:47 PM
wow, i was expecting a little bit worse of a port than that... it definatly has much room for improvment, but i mean... its close, definatly closer then the HO round ports.

Friday, October 26, 2007 6:07 PM
also i measured it and it seems (sorry dont remember the exact measurements) that the ports on the runners are smaller. Does anyone have a HO intake manifold for sell for cheap? F*uck mantapart

Friday, October 26, 2007 6:07 PM
someone is a selling a HO manifold in the classifieds
Friday, October 26, 2007 6:12 PM
i remember somone posting a site to the BBB, and some people got there money back and stuff. you think i can get my money back? also what is the site address? thankz

Friday, October 26, 2007 6:17 PM
www.bbb.com
Friday, October 26, 2007 6:19 PM
Friday, October 26, 2007 6:36 PM
did you not notice the countless threads here about avoiding mantapart?

Saturday, October 27, 2007 4:04 PM
Okay well I filed a complaint at the BBB, and also tried one last time to talk to mantapart. I emailed them asking if they can at least trade this crappy manifold for the REAL 2.4 flange and I'll find a manifold to weld it on to. Well they just got back to me and the guy said he'll send me the venom 2.4 flange and I can still keep the manifold. Is this good news or what? Although Ive heard about fitment issues with the venom intakes.

Saturday, October 27, 2007 6:31 PM
the venom fits perfectly.

but wtf? why would they chop up an $800 intake for free for you?? i dont think so. or does venom sell flanges...? ! ? ! ?

Saturday, October 27, 2007 7:33 PM
I emailed venom off the ebay section and ask if they will sell me just the flange but they said no. I have a feeling the flange they will send me will still be crappy but we'll see how it turns out..

Sunday, October 28, 2007 8:22 AM
is it even possible to weld billet aluminum to cast aluminum?

Sunday, October 28, 2007 12:31 PM
I still have a HO intake manifold never been touched. I kinda wiped it off some, but I really didn't even clean it. Right from the yard. I'm asking I think 75 + shipping. You can check my Garage Sale add.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=24&i=68811&t=68811

I hope you get something worked out, but if you need one never been done anything to since pulled.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 4:32 PM
z yaaaa wrote:is it even possible to weld billet aluminum to cast aluminum?

I dont know is it?

Monday, October 29, 2007 8:42 AM
z yaaaa wrote:is it even possible to weld billet aluminum to cast aluminum?

yes

this is the flange that I weld on the manifold

Monday, October 29, 2007 11:08 AM
wow, very impressive.

i guess it is possible

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 9:03 AM
wow, VERY IMPRESSIVE.

where did you get that flange from?

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 6:43 PM
Who the hell is this McMoney dude, and why have I never seen his badass work before?

Bump bump bump

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 9:19 PM
kflo wrote:Who the hell is this McMoney dude, and why have I never seen his badass work before?

Bump bump bump

x10

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search