Information about swapping 97 with 99 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Information about swapping 97 with 99
Wednesday, September 26, 2007 10:16 PM
Hello all,

I have a friend who needs to swap a 2.2L (or I guess those ones are called the 2200) from a 99 Sunfire into a 97 Sunfire that had the 2.2L

He doesnt have the full 99, but has the engine, transmission, wiring harness and computer. 97 tranny is an auto, 99 tranny is an auto but possibly with overdrive.

What all needs to be done to swap the 99 engine and transmission into the 97?

Does the harness under the dash of the 97 HAVE to be swapped with the 99's or can it be modified to work with the 99's engine? he said it looked like it was wired differently into the 97s hardness connector when he looked at connecting the 99 to the wiring harness under the hood.

Is the transmission swap a good idea or required in this case? as in, easier, beneficial for the car, etc... What has to be done with the throttle cable and gearshift?

Id appreciate as much information and detail as I can get...

Thank you very much!

Re: Information about swapping 97 with 99
Thursday, September 27, 2007 12:56 PM
Nobody has any information about this?
Thursday, September 27, 2007 1:11 PM
http://www.jbodysource.org/wiki/MultiGenEngine2point2History

Thats everything you need to know about the engine....

the blocks are the same, the heads are different between the two motors...

Thursday, September 27, 2007 1:21 PM
That helps with some of what I needed to know. Thanks for the link!

But I still need information about the wiring harness. Are they the same between 97 and 99? Can I hook up the wiring from under the dash of the 97 to the 99's engine?
Thursday, September 27, 2007 2:01 PM
i don't see why not.... but stick around and wait for some of the other 2200 owners to reply to confirm... my 2200 is in my second gen which is totally different wiring...

Thursday, September 27, 2007 2:19 PM
Okay, thanks.

From what I had heard, they are wired different at the point where you actually connect the two, but if you swap a wire around it will work....I dont know if thats true or which wire that would be though.
Thursday, September 27, 2007 10:09 PM
Anyone have info about the wiring harnesses?
Thursday, September 27, 2007 10:48 PM
I know the injector harness on the 2200 needs to be wired differently into the 2.2 car but I cant find any information about it....does any one have any info about it?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search