need help choosing muffler for a 2.4L - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
need help choosing muffler for a 2.4L
Monday, September 24, 2007 3:19 PM
I really need a new muffler and need some insight on what kinda one to get. not something to loud "baby on bored"..... thoughts, suggestions, opinions?

2000 z24 Cavalier

Re: need help choosing muffler for a 2.4L
Monday, September 24, 2007 3:58 PM
Depends on what your gonna do...

if your N/A, stock header, stock cat... use the stock muffler because you will not gain any performance with just a muffler and nothing more... in fact you'll probably lose performance with the loss of back pressure

other wise it depends...

i'd go with Magna-Flow if i had to.... you can get one that looks almost "stock" and only is a "little" louder than stock...

heres a list of some of the mufflers available by a few companies

http://www.nopionline.com/nopistore/dsp_parts.cfm?vpcid=001&vcatid=1&vcatyear=2000&vmodelid=260&vmakeid=135&vL1id=0&&vtitle=2000%20CHEVROLET%20Cavalier

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, September 24, 2007 4:00 PM

Monday, September 24, 2007 4:46 PM
so your saying i should just get a new stock muffler......or something roughly the same as stock untill i do my exuast. the one i have now is putting a little could it be the muffler or something else?.....the car used to idel really bad...but i put a ground wire kit and voltage stabelizer on it and it seems fine other than the little putting in the muffler.

2000 z24 Cavalier
Monday, September 24, 2007 4:52 PM
that could be anything...

when coil packs go bad the muffler puts...
when the cam and/or crank position sensors go bad the muffler can put too
when the cat is clogged the muffler can put

IS the check engine light on, or does it blink at all while driving?

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 9:53 AM
nope it's not on nor does it blink..... what does that tell me it could be? and what exactly are the coil packs/ where are they located?

2000 z24 Cavalier
Wednesday, September 26, 2007 10:19 AM
the coil packs are right under the IDI cover. (the thing that says 2.4l Twin cam) ... there are two of them inside the white box.

the coilpacks are ignition coils that send power through the boots to the spark plugs...

if your check engine light doesnt come on or blink at all, that usually means your sensors are good, and your emissions control systems are good (not always... but usually means this)...

most muffler shops also offer a free catalytic converter test... so that is worth checking out too...

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 11:59 AM
all right thanks alot man that could save me alot of time and money!!!

2000 z24 Cavalier
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search