Attn. Quicklilcav, and/or kardain - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Attn. Quicklilcav, and/or kardain
Thursday, September 20, 2007 5:35 PM
I think my motor mounts are gone, when I back off the gas I can feel my shifter move just a little. Can anyone verify this? Anyway I was planning on getting aftoermarket motor mounts, and I was wondering. If I get aftermarket motor mounts, can I re-use them (with exeption of the top) when I do my 3400 swap next spring?

Re: Attn. Quicklilcav, and/or kardain
Thursday, September 20, 2007 5:43 PM
If you get the RK insert, you can reuse it. If you get the TTR mount, its wasted money.

The dogbone can be reused.

Thursday, September 20, 2007 7:22 PM
Thanks, do you think this is my problem? I just put in an OEM upper mount on it, and it didn't help.
Thursday, September 20, 2007 7:29 PM
I had that problem (and still do kind of) with my old 2.2 both pre and post mount install. As long as it doesn't snap out of gear (like mine is doing right now, as well as some other trans problems, so again its up on jackstands), its nothing to worry about. Never did get a chance to diagnose what caused it

It should move a little anyway due to torque rock, even with poly mounts.

Thursday, September 20, 2007 8:57 PM
you might even have a bad tranny mount, i know mine did that a little until i upgraded the tranny mounts.

Friday, September 21, 2007 12:45 PM
would it hurt to run the engine hard with the shifter moving like this? I'm planning on attending an autocross this october.
Friday, September 21, 2007 6:47 PM
id just go ahead and spend the cash on the mounts before atempting anything like that, never know what can be outta wack when your AX'n

Friday, September 21, 2007 10:19 PM
Depends on how far it moves. If its slightly (1/8"), I wouldn't worry too much as long as its not snapping out of gear. I would, though, inspect the mount bushings first.

Saturday, September 22, 2007 8:02 AM
Kardain wrote:Depends on how far it moves. If its slightly (1/8"), I wouldn't worry too much as long as its not snapping out of gear. I would, though, inspect the mount bushings first.

Good advice. Also, you mentioned that you got a new oem mount. You mean you got the whole piece that mounts to the passenger frame rail?

I would replace the upper and get the eurethane insert, and get the TTR lower mount. Also definitely check your tranny mounts. They can deteriorate just as much if not more than the motor mount. They're not terribly fun to do, but not really difficult.

It doesn't sound like you really have anything to worry about. Unless the shifter is really moving a lot, and/or you are hearing clunks if you step on the gas hard to let off hard in lower gears, you're probably fine. However, it never hurts to replace worn parts for both safety and performance reasons.

Saturday, September 22, 2007 8:05 AM
If you plan on the swap the TTR mount will not work with the 3400 engine.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Saturday, September 22, 2007 10:39 AM
^^If the spacing between the 2 bolt sleeves are the same as either the RK mount or the stock dogbone, it should work (at least the lower). The upper on the other hand...

Saturday, September 22, 2007 12:55 PM
Turbo Tech Racing wrote:If you plan on the swap the TTR mount will not work with the 3400 engine.

If you are refering to the dogbone, it will. Everyone who has done the swap, including myself, has used a J-body dogbone. We have modified the bracket on the engine to match up to it, or made a custom one. If you mean the top mount, of course it won't come even close.

Saturday, September 22, 2007 3:50 PM
My shifter does the same (moves about 1/8-1/4 of an inch) and has ever since I bought the car. If it was any more I'd be worried, but if you're talking about the same amount of movement, its nothing to worry about.

Sunday, September 23, 2007 4:15 PM
I have poly engine and trans mounts and my shifter has moved on and off throttle since I bought it. I beat the hell out of my car and it now has 160,000 miles. I wouldnt worry.

Go Go OG Traction!!
Sunday, September 23, 2007 7:42 PM
I'm not exactly sure how much that has to do with the engine/transmission area. Notice if you have the car at WOT, you don't feel a whole lot of vibrations in comparison to some other cars. If it had shaft linkage I can see it a lot more (some Civic's i'm pretty sure have shaft linkage and you can feel the engine a lot more through the shifter).

I'd say if anything, maybe it's just the age and the cables are starting to go. No huge biggie I suppose. If you do a 3400 swap you MAY (not required that you do) want to swap to the 2.4 shift cables as they come with insulation on them to protect from the heat of the exhaust (2.4 exhaust exits out the back of the engine like the V6 does. But I would also say not to worry about it until you start to have problems like it not going into/coming out of gears, or popping itself ouf of a gear.

If you're really worried about monts, I'd inspect the tranny mounts and make sure they're kosher. And of course, if you dont have them already, I suggest the poly mount inserts from CarCustoms.

Friday, September 28, 2007 7:49 AM
I'd think its in the transmission, I've had my shift cables replaced twice (broke them before the short throw with too much force).

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search