Intake, bleh. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Intake, bleh.
Wednesday, June 27, 2007 8:02 PM
So I bought an intake off of Cosmoracing.com a while back, and I mean months ago, and I haven't had a chance to get it installed. The other day I finally get some time to do it, and after about an hour of work, I go to close the hood, and the damned thing isn't even close to closing. I'm talking 2-3 inches of space. In the process of getting it bolted on, my girlfriend also happened to drop it a few inches, and it sparked my battery.

The thing was far too close even if I could close the hood. I don't know if it's just the way my engine layout is, because it looks like it's been moved around a bit as it is, but there was no way that thing was going to fit in there, safely, or at all. Basically, I'm wondering if anybody else has had these problems.

Also, it's been well over 30 days, so I don't think I can return it. I paid about $100 in total for shipping and all for this intake, and I can't even use or return the damn thing. Should I call them up and tell them there's no way it's fitting, and ask for another one, or just ebay it and go to K&N? Thanks.

Re: Intake, bleh.
Wednesday, June 27, 2007 8:42 PM
is the stock intake box removed, I hav the same problem with my intake, then I removed the Stock Box, and it fits well...

and as for it sparking against the battery... use some kind of insulation on the posts or the intake, itself...header wrap should do.

Thrice . wrote:i think you should go back and try to actually order some cam valves. see if he has any in stock. then ask him to give you an actual price and show you the website or anything legit about where he orders from...for all you know he is this dumb, and orders things that don't exist....he's probably got 10 of those ebay transistors that gave him eleventy hundred pony power....what a douche.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 8:43 PM
Mine is a generic cone, i forgot to mention, until I can Fab up a custom system for intake.

Thrice . wrote:i think you should go back and try to actually order some cam valves. see if he has any in stock. then ask him to give you an actual price and show you the website or anything legit about where he orders from...for all you know he is this dumb, and orders things that don't exist....he's probably got 10 of those ebay transistors that gave him eleventy hundred pony power....what a douche.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 9:47 PM
I took everything out, the intake was connected to the throttle body, and I used the filter that came with the intake. Afterwards, I had my mechanic attempt it, and he had the same problem. I think this intake just isn't fitting in my car >.>

Thursday, June 28, 2007 1:17 PM
Did you order one for a 2.4 Twin Cam?

Thursday, June 28, 2007 1:42 PM
I wish I had, because then I could sell it to somebody who had a 2.4 and buy another one. The one I have looks like it should fit, but it just doesn't. Maybe it's something specific to my car, but it sucks

Thursday, June 28, 2007 1:59 PM
this is why we don't buy things off ebay

rksport sells a nice intake that fits great and is easy to install.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 2:12 PM
I bought it off of Cosmoracing.com, and asked around here. I got some good responses so I figured it was okay, but you're right, name brand would have been smarter. Guess I'm buying another intake then.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 2:31 PM
http://rksport.com/main/part_detail.asp?itemid=562&appid=109&mdid=2&catid=3
http://www.speedyperformanceparts.com/performance/basket.php?makeid=5&year=2002&modelid=32&partid=15&brandid=4252

I have a couple of questions regarding the links I just posted.

Firstly, is the second site trust worthy? I know it's a nice looking site and such, but has anybody done business with them previously?
Also, I notice on the RKSport website, their intake has a plastic half on the throttle body side, is there any specific reason why, or just because they decided to?

I know I've been quite a handful today, and I promise that this'll be my last question for a while.
I really appreciate all the help you guys have given me, thanks.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 2:37 PM
My cosmo intake cost 20ish shipped off of ebay. Its full length with filter for my 2.4. Fit "okay". It DOES rub my hood. Almost all of the intakes ive seen do.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 2:40 PM
Thanks for your response. I wish it just rubbed my hood, but I really have about a 2-3 inch gap with the hood resting on the intake, and I don't think it would be smart to try and force it down.

Also, I noticed that CarCustoms.net has the same intake that is shown on the rksport website for $10 less. Looks like I know where I'm getting my intake from

Thursday, June 28, 2007 3:47 PM
Can you trim some off of the 90* coupler?

Thursday, June 28, 2007 4:00 PM
get the AEM intake , works correctly outta the box

car customs sell them as well , so does gravana tuning , turbo tech racing

Thursday, June 28, 2007 4:03 PM
The issue is that the hood on your 02 Eco sits differently than a 03+ eco. You may have to get a K&N or an AEM intake system. I had the Weapon-R and that rubbed the hood and wouldn't fit at all with the Evo hood.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/676422/1
Thursday, June 28, 2007 7:55 PM
Arnjolt, you're right, and I didn't even think of it, but it's so obvious. Thank you very much for pointing that out.

http://gravanatuning.com/applications/2002_Chevrolet_Cavalier_Coupe_2.2_16v.aspx/8/2008/_K_N_69_4510T_Cavalier_Sunfire_Ecotec_Typhoon_Air_Intake
http://www.carcustoms.net/product_info.php?cPath=265_22_32_597&products_id=123

The K&N intake looks like it might fit better than the RKSport one, but what do you guys think? Anybody with an 02 have either one of those?
I just want to make double sure this time, because I still gotta get rid of that old one.. don't need two intakes sitting around.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 8:25 PM
had rkcrappy's on the g/fs 02 , sold it for aem's

the aem is a cai , rkcrappy and k&n are wai's

Thursday, June 28, 2007 8:28 PM
I scrape plenty on the ground due to my car being too low for it's own good. We also get about a foot of snow regularly during winter, so I think I'm going to go with a Short Ram, don't need my intake getting soaked. Looks like K&N it is, thanks everybody for all the help.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 8:29 PM
hey ron if you want ill take that cosmo intake off your hands....i got an 03 and if the hood thing is right it should fit a lot better on my car...im i got paypal . I was gonna get tints but if you willing to part ill get your intake...i live in the tristate
Thursday, June 28, 2007 8:35 PM
I PM'ed you illdwes.

Also, more than few people seem to have an issue with RKSport, is there any particular reason for this?

Thursday, June 28, 2007 9:06 PM
We keep the AEM one in stock, email us if you have questions. Cheap intakes sometimes do the job, but they dont fit right as they are way to generic.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Friday, June 29, 2007 4:00 PM
I bought the RKsport warm air intake for my 02 Eco cav, easy install, and had no problems what so ever getting it to fix. As you see from the pic it about as high as the battery. One thing I would suggest is getting better tubes for it, after 3 years mine cracked and had oil all around the crak, or maybe it was this crappy instance lube place, but any way. I haven't seen the K&N intake, but as for the RKSport it fits fine and sounds very cool. Don't get any crappy loose intake sound, just pure brrrrr ha

I will be the ONE - in my 2002 ES Sport Cavalier (5 spd)

Friday, June 29, 2007 11:29 PM
Karo @ carcustoms has free shipping just so ya know!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search