Swap Question - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Swap Question
Wednesday, May 30, 2007 12:49 AM
Hello all, I have a spare J sitting around not doing nothing at the moment and it is tying up my garage. So I was thinking about what I could do with this car. it is a 97 2.2 4 speed auto. So the other day I was at the junk yard and seen a grand am with a 2.4 sitting there and asked the guy how much he would take for the car. he ssaid a price I could live with. So my question is. what would i need to get to swap the 2.4 / tranny outta the grand am into the sunfire. I am sure I will need a harness but how about the motor mounts and such
And will the grand am motor and tranny work or are there to many diffrences and I should look for a cavy / sunfire motor / trans

One more thing. I know where there is a cavi wiring harness, would that work on the sunfire?

Re: Swap Question
Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:52 AM
First things first, Nothing your thinking of doing is going to work.
Now for the explaination...grand am tranny's are completely different than J's as far as I know. The 2.4 engines out of a grand am are identical to 2.4 engines in J's (I have one in my car), but the problem is that it wont fit into your 2.2 car without major coustum fabrication in the engine bay. 2.4 and 2.2ohv engine bays are different and the engines and tranny's are not swapable like old chevy V8s and most hondas. Even if you had all that coustom fabrication done and found a 2.4 tranny, you would still have to replace your axle shafts, EVERYTHING going to the tranny, and at very least, re-wire everything from the firewall forward. It would be a great idea if it where as simple as just yanking one, and bolting in the other, but most cars arn't like that any more. Even going from an Izuzu tranny to a Getrag in newer 3rd gens require making new tranny mounts. Although 2.4 and Ecotec engines are swapable, you need still new tranny mounts.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:57 AM
First things first, Nothing your thinking of doing is going to work.
Now for the explaination...grand am tranny's are completely different than J's as far as I know. The 2.4 engines out of a grand am are identical to 2.4 engines in J's (I have one in my car), but the problem is that it wont fit into your 2.2 car without major coustum fabrication in the engine bay. 2.4 and 2.2ohv engine bays are different and the engines and tranny's are not swapable like old chevy V8s and most hondas. Even if you had all that coustom fabrication done and found a 2.4 tranny, you would still have to replace your axle shafts, EVERYTHING going to the tranny, and at very least, re-wire everything from the firewall forward. It would be a great idea if it where as simple as just yanking one, and bolting in the other, but most cars arn't like that any more. Even going from an Izuzu tranny to a Getrag in newer 3rd gens require making new tranny mounts. Although 2.4 and Ecotec engines are swapable, you need still new tranny mounts.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 7:11 AM
Sorry about the double post, my router had been freeking out a bit lately. Oh.. and I forgot something else, you would also need the computer (ECM) for the 2.4 out of the grand am, and IF the tranys ARE different, since where talking about auto's, the one out of the grand am wouldn't work, so you would have to buy one for a 2.4 J-body with an auto tranny. It would be a lot cheaper to just sell the car and get a Z24 cavy or Sunfire GT.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 7:43 AM
You answered some of what I was asking even though you did in a very unorthadox fashion.
I know that you have to change the mounts and wiring.
Thanks.
There are hundreds of people on here that have swapped engines. And i am not going to sell the car.
So the engine is the same, tranny is diffrent and wiring harness won't work. Thats all the info I needed.
So will the Z24 harness work in the sunfire is my next question.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 8:16 AM
Sorry about the unoradox fashion, sometimes my mind and hands don't work along so well
Caveliers and Sunfires are mecanically identical so as long as where talking about the same engine tranny setup, the wiring harness will work. I'm not 100% sure if Grand Am trannys are the same as J-body's or not, you'll have to ask around. I do know that even though the Engines are the same, If your car has a 2.2ohv engine, a 2.4ohc (LD9) engine won't bolt into your car because the engine bays are different, thats where to real problem is.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 8:26 AM
Well this is going to be more of a toy of sorts so most stuff won't be a problem such as AC. From my understanding, you still use the same mount point but not the same mounts to swap in the 2.4. Since the car is a 4 speed I know the Z24 or GT auto tranny will bolt up no problems to my stock mounts. Since when I drop the engine in I will be using aftermarket engine mounts if I am right most of the mounting problem will be solved. if I have to fab up anything that is fine, gimme something to do in my spare time while I wait for parts for my other cars.

if I don't do this I am going to go ahead and do the 3400 swap. But I was going to do this for now since I can get all the parts I will need for under 400. So thats why I was asking.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 8:59 AM
From what i've always heard, you have to coustom make the tranny mounts too, but I've never done it. I thought you where asking if you could just "drop" everything in, but if your willing to go to all that work, more power to ya. Just make sure when you re-wire the car you use the computer for the 2.4, you might wan't to label it, I'm pretty sure there hard to tell apart by just looking at them. I've seen people get ECU's mixed up so many times that it's not even funny anymore.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search