help me choose which route to go!! - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
help me choose which route to go!!
Tuesday, May 29, 2007 10:31 PM
By August one of these options will be set into motion or finished and i want u guys to help me decide which one is the more logical route to take...i'll start off by givin u a list of wut mods i have on my 2.4.. i/e/mm, shiftplus, short ram, alt. and crank underdrive pulleys..header is on the way before the rest of the mods..

option A
this is wut i originally intended to do. i have an extra 2.4 that i was going to put a rebuild kit with 10.1 pistons into that costs about 1k. from there i was going to add a 2.3 intake mani,install my secret cams, 2.3 tb, and 2.5 custom exhaust to a magnaflow muffler with this im lookin at about 2k for rebuild parts and installation. the next step was adding a 75 shot next summer.. i was lookin for about 180 whp out of the motor and mods with a good hptuners setup

option B
probably the cheapest and most likely my favorite. get the gmsc which is only about 1400 right now.. i can get it in a month or so... then get it on the motor which has 112k on it and fix up or take preventitive measures on anything that can be slightly faulty. next summer would be adding alky injection and also the 75 shot..

option C
i really like this option but it's hard to come by... I could do an H.O. swap with bolt ons and a good tune and throw on that 75 shot... i would also be looking for the 5spd tranny with it... h.o motors aren't very expensive, but converting my auto to 5 spd is the hardest part...

so after all of this wut do u guys think?

Re: help me choose which route to go!!
Tuesday, May 29, 2007 10:42 PM
out of your choices, A. rebuild before you break

but how about the best of A and C? rebuild the bottom end, do an 086 swap, with all complimentery parts

but i dont know if its daily driven or your technical skills so someone else better might be more helpful

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 10:57 PM
Some nice choices.

I'm not sure about the 75 shot with the GMSC, especially on a motor with over 100K on it.

With 112K miles - a rebuild is most certainly in the fairly near future.

I agree I wouldn't go with the Quad 4 H.O. - no need. When you could build H.O. LD9 that badder than W41. The 086(or really Quad 4 head from 90-94) with secret cams or even H.O. cams would make for a scary 2.4L.
Tuesday, May 29, 2007 11:58 PM
Who says you have to convert the HO to a 5-speed? Quad4/Twin cam motors share the same bolt pattern for the bell housing. Why do you think the NVG-T550 Getrag is such a popular swap? Just swap out the flywheel for a flex plate. The only "problem" per se, may be with the higher powerband and being N/A, which will result in the same problem with HO cams on a N/A ld9. (When I get my MS-II figured out, I too will be running the HO cams on a N/A auto).

If you want your ld9 to perform like a HO quad motor, it takes more time and money. For the extra 130 cc's of displacement, it would probably be in your best interest to just swap in the HO motor. The only reasons I hadn't considered it when I rebuilt my motor, was because HPTuners wasn't out yet, the cam sync generator wasn't popular/known about, and I didn't feel like rewiring the car to obd-I. I will admit though, doing all of the custom work first hand has given me a far better understanding of the twin cam.

The GM charger is by far the biggest bang for the buck. However, once you have it, you will be hard pressed to find a way to give your car significantly more HP other than upping that 75 shot of nitrous.

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Wednesday, May 30, 2007 7:33 AM
Ok, all these engine and tranny codes are confusing the crap out of me, plus the bad grammer hurtz my eyes.

Changing from an auto tranny to manual, is a lot harder than just swaping the transmissions. You have to replace all of the linkages, add a clutch, a shifter, and hope the tranny mounts and axle shafts are the same. A manual car has a crap load more parts in it than an auto, plus there's the problem that the ECU will freak out when it realizes the tranny is gone. It would be soo much work that anyone that even tried would have to be crazy.

2nd gen Quad 4 motors are very rare, and running forced induction and nitrouse on any car thats not fully built with a computerized nitrouse system is always a bad idea. If you just bolt on a GMSC and a 75 shot, your probably going to blow up your car even if you retune your stock ECM.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 9:12 AM
[
Dayton86 wrote:out of your choices, A. rebuild before you break

but how about the best of A and C? rebuild the bottom end, do an 086 swap, with all complimentery parts

but i dont know if its daily driven or your technical skills so someone else better might be more helpful

that looks pretty good... i didn't think of it that way,

quote=kj1168]Some nice choices.

I'm not sure about the 75 shot with the GMSC, especially on a motor with over 100K on it.

With 112K miles - a rebuild is most certainly in the fairly near future.

I agree I wouldn't go with the Quad 4 H.O. - no need. When you could build H.O. LD9 that badder than W41. The 086(or really Quad 4 head from 90-94) with secret cams or even H.O. cams would make for a scary 2.4L.

my bad i forgot to add that in option B i will still rebuild and then put the 75 shot on it... i completely forgot bout the 086 head.. but that's why i need u guys' help. cuz this is comin up on me fast and i need to hurry and decide which direction my money's goin in

Brian Whalen wrote:Who says you have to convert the HO to a 5-speed? Quad4/Twin cam motors share the same bolt pattern for the bell housing. Why do you think the NVG-T550 Getrag is such a popular swap? Just swap out the flywheel for a flex plate. The only "problem" per se, may be with the higher powerband and being N/A, which will result in the same problem with HO cams on a N/A ld9. (When I get my MS-II figured out, I too will be running the HO cams on a N/A auto).

If you want your ld9 to perform like a HO quad motor, it takes more time and money. For the extra 130 cc's of displacement, it would probably be in your best interest to just swap in the HO motor. The only reasons I hadn't considered it when I rebuilt my motor, was because HPTuners wasn't out yet, the cam sync generator wasn't popular/known about, and I didn't feel like rewiring the car to obd-I. I will admit though, doing all of the custom work first hand has given me a far better understanding of the twin cam.

The GM charger is by far the biggest bang for the buck. However, once you have it, you will be hard pressed to find a way to give your car significantly more HP other than upping that 75 shot of nitrous.

friend of mine, who's got a sroked 2.6 is my info on h.o.'s. he said that basically they didnt come auto, so my auto would never get full potential out of it. i understand about the gmsc.. that's why it's the choice im leaning too, i can get quick power and still build that extra motor.. i'm lookin to get 300+ hp out of it.. my original goal was to be about 250whp when im finished, then have a different goal after that.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 10:07 AM
No HO or W41 ever came with a auto trans. But they share the same crank with all quad 4's. Therefore, you could get a flex plate off of one of the LO quads and make it work for your 4t40e (The flex plate off of your ld9 may even work too...I'm not positive though).

Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant. Did you mean that "IF" you would get the HO motor, "THEN" you would get the HO trans as well? Because all I was saying was that swapping to a 5-speed isn't absolutely necessary.

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Wednesday, May 30, 2007 11:10 AM
Brian Whalen wrote:No HO or W41 ever came with a auto trans. But they share the same crank with all quad 4's. Therefore, you could get a flex plate off of one of the LO quads and make it work for your 4t40e (The flex plate off of your ld9 may even work too...I'm not positive though).

Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant. Did you mean that "IF" you would get the HO motor, "THEN" you would get the HO trans as well? Because all I was saying was that swapping to a 5-speed isn't absolutely necessary.

yea that's wut i meant... i thought that it would not work with the auto at all..if it's possible then i might just do that... and get the ecu.. those things come with 180 so with some bolt ons i would already be better off than i am. now

Friday, June 01, 2007 1:53 AM
I would just do a simple rebuild, get the secret cams and maybe a little porting to the head if you can. Then go with plan B and get the gmsc. Ill be getting the ld9 gmsc kit in august, and Im sure Ill have the secret cam swap done before then. I know Ill get bored with it though, and get prolly a 2.7 pulley,alky injection,and hptuners. I like how the gm reflash for the ld9 isnt locked

Ive got 80k right now, and I know eventually Ill do a rebuild. Id realy like to get a 5spd 95-99 z to do a full turbo build sometime in the future.

Friday, June 01, 2007 7:32 PM
icemike89 wrote:I would just do a simple rebuild, get the secret cams and maybe a little porting to the head if you can. Then go with plan B and get the gmsc. Ill be getting the ld9 gmsc kit in august, and Im sure Ill have the secret cam swap done before then. I know Ill get bored with it though, and get prolly a 2.7 pulley,alky injection,and hptuners. I like how the gm reflash for the ld9 isnt locked

Ive got 80k right now, and I know eventually Ill do a rebuild. Id realy like to get a 5spd 95-99 z to do a full turbo build sometime in the future.

i forgot to add that with plan b im still gonna rebuild.. i actually already have the secret cams just need em installed and was gonna wait to put them on the rebuilt motor.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search