AEM cold air intake on 2.2 Ecotec Sunfire, will it have CEL come on? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
AEM cold air intake on 2.2 Ecotec Sunfire, will it have CEL come on?
Wednesday, April 25, 2007 1:49 AM
The title says it all.

I am thinking about getting one for my wife's 2003 Sunfire with 2.2 Ecotec engine.

I have seen a few Cobalt owners have the check engine light come on with their CAIs.

Some have rectified the problems, like the air sensor not being installed correctly or they damaged it while reinstalling it to the CAI's tube.

But some have not figured it out and just run their car with the CEL warning of a lean code. For me that is not acceptable.

I hear AEM went to a one piece design that supposedly has gotten rid of the CEL phenomenon.

I am hoping someone here already has one on their 2.2 Ecotec Sunfire or Cavalier and can share whether they are popping codes or not.

Also, how well does the car react to the intake just by itself?

Every car seems to react differently to mods so I don't know how the 2.2 Ecotec reacts to the CAI.

Thanks in advance...

Re: AEM cold air intake on 2.2 Ecotec Sunfire, will it have CEL come on?
Wednesday, April 25, 2007 7:59 AM
I have had mine on for a year and a half and have not gotten any CEL's. Well none because of the intake at least. The Car reacts very well, the stock intake system is very restrictive and it seems like the car pulls harder from 3k and up. Also it will sound amazing from those rpms and up also. I highly recomend the AEM CAI for the ecotec.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 9:17 AM
i had one on my 2200 not an issue..got one for my new eco now..have yet to install it but the guy that owned it never had issues..phil
Wednesday, April 25, 2007 9:27 AM
brothers' 2004 eco cav never threw a code... when he had his AEM intake.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, April 25, 2007 12:14 PM
NO!! I had mine on for about 2yrs and never had a CEL light.
It will be on Ebay in a few days, I am now part of the Turbo ECOtec crowd!!

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 12:42 PM
no cels with mine!

http://www.myspace.com/xtremegravity http://cardomain.com/ride/833995

Thursday, April 26, 2007 12:48 AM
Just took my exhaust off that i've had for a couple years, so it's the first chance i've had to really hear my aem...i think i like the way it sounds better now then when i had the exhaust

Monday, February 04, 2008 9:13 PM
The cold air intake will not, and can not, cause a CEL light to come on with our cars if it is installed correctly. The increased airflow isnt enough to confuse the computer.

Going by map sensor readings, a before test of manifold pressure might be around 97kpa, whilest after it is around 99kpa. The sensor reads all the way to 105kpa which is not a problem because a barametric pressure of 14.7 (standard) is 100kpa. If you have MAF sensors, it can detect the slight difference in airflow.

Haha, confusing. Just make sure that you properly installed the intake air temp sensor, and correctly placed the MAF if you have one.

----------------------------------------------------------------
www.bradsairsoft.com
Monday, February 04, 2008 9:14 PM
man, now i feel bad. I didnt even pay attention to that date on those posts... lol

----------------------------------------------------------------
www.bradsairsoft.com
Tuesday, February 05, 2008 5:34 PM
Better to notice and feel dumb than to actually live life in a state of ignorance.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search