did gtp supercharge come with manual tranny? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
did gtp supercharge come with manual tranny?
Saturday, April 21, 2007 8:11 PM
did a gtp 3800 supercharge come with a manual tranny or is there any way to hook a manual tranny up to it and this is to go in a 98 sunfire gt or should i go with the 3400 with a manual tranny?

Re: did gtp supercharge come with manual tranny?
Saturday, April 21, 2007 8:27 PM
I have only seen them auto....same with the Bonneville SSEI supercharged( same as GTP)

Saturday, April 21, 2007 8:27 PM
no 3x00 series motors comes with a a manual trans... yes there is a way to hook up a 2200 Ln2 manula to one.. look up Raven, he's done it

Saturday, April 21, 2007 9:29 PM
00-02 2.2L Getrag... bolts right up.

Saturday, April 21, 2007 9:42 PM
as far as i know the only grand prix that was a manual was the older 3.4 DOHC cars, as well as lumina z34's

they haul major ass too, very quick cars lol, too bad they didnt last worth a shiit

Sunday, April 22, 2007 8:59 PM
Isaak wrote:00-02 2.2L Getrag... bolts right up.

yes but the flywheel needs modified...raven has the exact details to it, but the flywheel needs modified, other then that...yes direct bolt up

Sunday, April 22, 2007 10:31 PM
RyZ96 wrote:no 3x00 series motors comes with a a manual trans... yes there is a way to hook up a 2200 Ln2 manula to one.. look up Raven, he's done it

not true.......the camaro with the 3800 has std. trans

Monday, April 23, 2007 7:39 AM
The L67 will tear that little baby getrag into pieces. It is not meant to handle 280 ft/lbs of tourque. If you do swap it, I recommend some major reinforcement to it. There aren't really any great options for a manual tranny for the L67.

Monday, April 23, 2007 7:47 AM
call me crazy....but why can the 2.2 trans hold up better then the 3.8 NA trans? Raven is running a 2.2 trans

Monday, April 23, 2007 10:57 AM
bmxludwig wrote:The L67 will tear that little baby getrag into pieces. It is not meant to handle 280 ft/lbs of tourque. If you do swap it, I recommend some major reinforcement to it. There aren't really any great options for a manual tranny for the L67.

WTF are you talking about?! The Getrag will hold up fine. Do you realize how many people are boosted here with that trans and have WAY MORE torque that 280 ft/lbs.?! I have heard very few stories about a Getrag not holding that much power.

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Monday, April 23, 2007 12:55 PM
the camaro is a rear wheel drive application , so that info is kinda useless , their motor isnt the same as the front drive , similar yes

Monday, April 23, 2007 3:40 PM
Luke Heier wrote:
bmxludwig wrote:The L67 will tear that little baby getrag into pieces. It is not meant to handle 280 ft/lbs of tourque. If you do swap it, I recommend some major reinforcement to it. There aren't really any great options for a manual tranny for the L67.

WTF are you talking about?! The Getrag will hold up fine. Do you realize how many people are boosted here with that trans and have WAY MORE torque that 280 ft/lbs.?! I have heard very few stories about a Getrag not holding that much power.

With a little searching around club gp, and with plenty of friends with L67's all stating that there really is no fwd manual tranny designed by gm to handle the L67, I am sticking with my answer. If there were such a transmission, there would be a crap ton of manual GTP's rolling around. Some people may have done it on the site, but from what I have seen, there has not been much if any testing on the durability of the transmission of 280 ft/lbs and up. Sure it might work for 10,000 miles, but what about 20,000? 40,000? and 60,000 miles later? But whatever, do what you want.

Monday, April 23, 2007 3:56 PM
in a lighter vehicle the power can be higher on a weaker trans and still live

in the heavier gtp's a manual isnt worth it , plus since they were not offered with a manual its kinda hard to get the necessary parts for installing a manual

and the 284 from the 3.4 twin cam will hold a gtp motor and then some , alot of fiero guys use them but they arent cheap

also a auto trans will be quicker when modded correctly

Monday, April 23, 2007 4:06 PM
I can see the 3.4 tranny getting it done as far as reliability and longevity goes, but not the 2200 one. A lighter care does make a difference, so if you are going to do it, I would go on a diet.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 4:50 AM
bmxludwig wrote:
Luke Heier wrote:

With a little searching around club gp, and with plenty of friends with L67's all stating that there really is no fwd manual tranny designed by gm to handle the L67, I am sticking with my answer. If there were such a transmission, there would be a crap ton of manual GTP's rolling around. Some people may have done it on the site, but from what I have seen, there has not been much if any testing on the durability of the transmission of 280 ft/lbs and up. Sure it might work for 10,000 miles, but what about 20,000? 40,000? and 60,000 miles later? But whatever, do what you want.

I have been running an F23 (getrag) tranny behind my L67 for almost 4 years now and I haven't had one issue with it other than the input shaft bearing making a little noise when in nutural. I put down over 300wtq at 1500rpm and have so for years. I have logged close to 30,000kms on it and like I said I have never had any issues, it is the same tranny I have always been using and I have never cracked the case open on it. Is that enough testing for you to believe that this tranny can take the abuse? Most times when you hear about these trannies blowing up it is caused by user error (burnouts, roll backs, dropping the clutch from hi rpm, ect) not because the tranny is not strong enough. If it really does worry you that much then take a look at the tranny itself, the main issue people have with them is the diff breaking, well if you get yourself a Quaife LSD for it then you have just replaced the only part that seems to go in them, and Quaife also offers a lifetime warrenty on them even when used in race applications. On a side note, don't believe everything you read on ClubGP, sure there are some very smart people on that site who know what they are talking about but at the same time I have read my fair share from people who don't have a clue. Another tranny that will work just fine is the getrag 282 that came out of the second gen 3.1's Frank ran one behind his L32 (N/A version) for years making well over 400 hp and tq and he never had a probelm with that tranny either, well over 200 passes and ran a best of 11.0 Now you might not believe anything that I just posted and thats fine but remember that I am speaking from personal experience, not going by what I read somewhere.

Quoth the Raven 'Nevermore
raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Tuesday, April 24, 2007 7:57 PM
touche raven!!!

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 11:23 AM
As I do not own an l67 powered car, I can not testify by my own experience, but only that of others. I am very glad that your car has been reliable Raven, and I also understand that the weak spot on almost any fwd tranny is the diff. With that quaiffed, it becomes a whole different ball game. You do show very compelling evidence that the tranny you are using is holding up well against the l67. So I do have to say that I stand corrected, and perhaps some GTP owners who want to autocross should take notice and start doing some manual swaps!

Thanks Raven for the testimony!

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 11:44 AM
And oh yeah, the weight of a cavalier compared to a GTP is probably another reason they go through trannies faster than your cav would. Just had to add that in there so I don't appear to be a TOTAL moron....

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 1:33 PM
All else fails, HM282 Muncie/Getrag. Proven to withstand the torque that a 400 HP V8 puts out in Fiero swap applications.

1989 Z24 Convertible - Dust Covered
2006 tC - Dust Covered, but driven more
Wednesday, April 25, 2007 7:16 PM
DroptopPaul wrote:
Isaak wrote:00-02 2.2L Getrag... bolts right up.

yes but the flywheel needs modified...raven has the exact details to it, but the flywheel needs modified, other then that...yes direct bolt up

The Camaro flywheel needs to be machined down, but personally for me, I paid alot of cash for an aluminum one that does not need modification, it bolts right up.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search