what to do with a 96 cavy 2.2 motor - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
what to do with a 96 cavy 2.2 motor
Tuesday, April 17, 2007 8:11 PM
what all can i do to make it faster.
cant really find anything for it..

Re: what to do with a 96 cavy 2.2 motor
Wednesday, April 18, 2007 12:48 AM
Have u tryed a Cold air intake header n high flow cat with the Catbackexghust thats wht i got on my 2.2cav wagon
Wednesday, April 18, 2007 10:22 AM
theres:

intake
header/cat/catback
engine/tranny mounts
short throw shifter (5 speed) or b&m shiftplus (4t40e)
cam regrind
1.6 ratio roller rockers
port & polish head
high compression pistons/eagle rods
turbo
n2o

that should get you started.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Wednesday, April 18, 2007 2:59 PM
Depends on your cash flow.

-Intake, header and exhaust is usually the basic way to start.
-If you have a little more money you can invest in a home made turbo kit.
-Best way to start by far is to go your ECU tuned. After you have a great tuning program, start buying the other parts and your tuning program will help you extract a few more horses as you go.

Just my .$02!
Wednesday, April 18, 2007 4:49 PM
Joel Clear wrote:-Best way to start by far is to go your ECU tuned. After you have a great tuning program, start buying the other parts and your tuning program will help you extract a few more horses as you go.
You can't tune the 96 ECU, but a 97 ECU should be a direct swap, and it is supported by HPTuners.
Turbo setups are tricky because you can't get larger injectors, so it's low boost on a rrfpr/fmu, or a top-feed converison.

I'd suggest getitng the head ported, and having the cam reground.

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Wednesday, April 18, 2007 10:31 PM
how about a 250 shot of nitrous and a twin turbo setup

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Friday, April 20, 2007 5:45 PM
are the intakes on ebay any good, maybe the same as a high end intake except for the filter? also for headers are the RK sport the ones to go with or is there a better choice? Will going catless help or hurt us in the 1/8th mile? I know with my old 88 sunbird I had to keep a cat on for the best times. thanks in advance, and sorry for highjacking your thread, its just that I got a 96 cavy to and need options for it as well.
Friday, April 20, 2007 6:06 PM
intake= pipe and filter. now, its up to you whether or not you feel like paying $200+ for a hunk of bent pipe, but i dont see why you'd want to. just when you get the filter, either get a k&n filter, or the aem dryflow. for the header, go with the pacesetter coated. DO NOT REMOVE YOUR CAT. it doesnt help performance and keeps you legal.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Friday, April 20, 2007 6:30 PM
OHV notec wrote:
Joel Clear wrote:-Best way to start by far is to go your ECU tuned. After you have a great tuning program, start buying the other parts and your tuning program will help you extract a few more horses as you go.
You can't tune the 96 ECU, but a 97 ECU should be a direct swap, and it is supported by HPTuners.
Turbo setups are tricky because you can't get larger injectors, so it's low boost on a rrfpr/fmu, or a top-feed converison.

I'd suggest getitng the head ported, and having the cam reground.

How much around is considered low boost for a T3? >10psi? FMU's are kinda bad considering they really don't do a whole lot because they don't exactly keep the AFR at a safe rate, right? That's pretty much the computers job because it will have to detect the boost and add fuel accordingly...?

Good stuff! Thanks for correcting me!
Saturday, April 21, 2007 10:24 AM
How much boost will depend on the injectors used. Using larger injectors allows a lower base pressure and more gain, as well as more fuel per pressure gain. Smaller injectors need more gain to handle the added air, and will max out sooner.
The OEM computers cannot read anything besides 'stoich', so it can't adjust fuel that way, and it also can not adjust fuel depending on manifold pressure (only timing).

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search