Neeeeed Mooore Pooooower. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Neeeeed Mooore Pooooower.
Saturday, March 31, 2007 8:18 AM
Hey guyes I have a 97 sunfire gt with a 5 speed tranny. I would like to be able to run mid to low 14's if possiable. I am planning on doing a gm blower kit so an HO manni would do me no good. So I already have obx header, magnaflow full cat back with test pipe and aem intake. I was reading that there is a 58mm TB that bolts up, how much does this really do? Also I saw a post about HP tuner is that a chip and where do I get one. I am also looking into a undrive pulley, any comments on that? thanks guys

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/

Re: Neeeeed Mooore Pooooower.
Saturday, March 31, 2007 9:13 AM
gains from ducting (intake) will be minor. Maybe 15HP at most if you completely engineer your intake to get maximum gains.

Forced induction, turbo and boost, will net you the most gains. Nitrous will also give you some decent power for less than a grand.
Exhaust is hard to estimate, it could make a huge difference, it could not. It's also dependent on what RPM you will be making power at.

Saturday, March 31, 2007 9:25 AM
Throw a turbo kit and full exhaust on and tune the bitch. You'll run 14's all day.
Saturday, March 31, 2007 10:53 AM
HP tuners,check out the tuning and boost forums,nitrous is a more inexpensive way of getting more horsepower

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, March 31, 2007 11:54 AM

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Saturday, March 31, 2007 12:16 PM
Yeah, but NOS cannot be used every second. I want power that does not have to be replenised every couple shots. What throttle body will bolt on the 2.4.

Saturday, March 31, 2007 12:27 PM
NOS is a brand of nitrous and you can get quite a few passes on the track out of a 10lb bottle but nitrous doesn't seem to be the way you want to go so I'd go with what everyone else is tellin you and go the turbo route,a decent t.b. would be the 56mm one off the 2.3 HO or go with a 62mm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, March 31, 2007 2:23 PM

Saturday, March 31, 2007 1:01 PM
Quote:

would be the 57mm one off the 2.3 HO or go with a 62mm

actually its a 56mm .. and any bigger wouldnt really be any good...but, why stop with the throttle body..just drop in the whole 2.3 HO engine and run 14s with the stock engine

Saturday, March 31, 2007 1:14 PM
You really think that a 2.4 with a 5 speed, magnalflow exhaust, obx header, test pipe, underdrive pulley, bigger TB(56mm), aem intake and HO conversion will run 14s. If so thats what I am doing

Saturday, March 31, 2007 1:24 PM
post edited my mistake

Saturday, March 31, 2007 1:29 PM
FAST2.4 P wrote:You really think that a 2.4 with a 5 speed, magnalflow exhaust, obx header, test pipe, underdrive pulley, bigger TB(56mm), aem intake and HO conversion will run 14s. If so thats what I am doing

I think what Scott is saying is to yank out the 2.4 and drop in a 2.3 Ho and run in the 14's on a stock 2.3 HO motor

Saturday, March 31, 2007 7:46 PM
Thats a big job, this is my beater car. The reason for going faster Is I got smoked by the cobalt ss. That thing is @!#$ fast

Saturday, March 31, 2007 7:49 PM
my car ran ran 14.5 with less than what you listed. and mines an auto

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Saturday, March 31, 2007 8:02 PM
Quote:

I think what Scott is saying is to yank out the 2.4 and drop in a 2.3 Ho and run in the 14's on a stock 2.3 HO motor

you would be correct

Quote:

Thats a big job, this is my beater car. The reason for going faster Is I got smoked by the cobalt ss. That thing is @!#$ fast

its not really that big a job...plus the rewards are worth it..i had a 2.3 HO in my car(w/bolt ons) and ive never been beaten by a cobalt..(mind you ive never raced a stage2)

Saturday, March 31, 2007 8:06 PM
Thats why I am leading toward the gm blower

Saturday, March 31, 2007 8:25 PM
Yeah - forget the Nitrous.

To beat a Cobalt SS - 205Hp(although technically - it more like 215-220) , supercharged, runs low 14's all day long .

So what you need is some boost. With a 2.4 Twin Cam - you could get GM Supercharger, with cat back exhaust, Short Ram & 56 mm TB.

Should have close to 220 hp. If you then get you car's weight down around 2800 lbs (which should be easy). Then you'll be nose to nose with him

Or for about grand more get the supercharger kit from companies like RSMracing - which puts out closer to 70-80 hp. Which means about 240-250hp after you add the other add ons. That should put you in the high 13's 1/4 mile range,
Saturday, March 31, 2007 9:22 PM
Please dont be recommending products you know nothing about to others that obviously dont know much about them either. I say this because if you know 1/32nd of the info on the rsm charger you wouldnt ever recommend it.
Sunday, April 01, 2007 12:28 AM
True - i didn't know about the RSM supercharger - thought they used a Procharger type set up.

Still - my point is while the new supercharged Cobalts are pretty fast. There's enough things that you can do to Sunfire to make it capable of beating the Cobalt.

There are members of this board that have automatic 2.4L powered J-body's that can hang with or beating stock V8 F-bodys(late 4th gen).
Sunday, April 01, 2007 7:26 PM
OK well my motor blew up today. So whats involved with swaping in a 2.3 ho. Can I use my parts off my 2.4, will they bolt right up. Also do I have to switch out the computer. I am going to be doing this in a few days and any info would be perfect. Thanks

Sunday, April 01, 2007 7:57 PM
Quote:

OK well my motor blew up today. So whats involved with swaping in a 2.3 ho. Can I use my parts off my 2.4, will they bolt right up. Also do I have to switch out the computer. I am going to be doing this in a few days and any info would be perfect. Thanks

Sorry to hear about the motor.

But a Quad 4 H.O. swap would actually be a good idea - especially if your looking for a NA option.

The High Output Quad 4 with the crank from the 2.4L will actually give your a 2.5L (152.5 ci) stroker quad 4/Twin cam. that should give you about 200 hp, & 180 ft-lbs without add ons like exhaust, intake or TB. And the potential for your car to be a Cobalt Killer, may have actually just increased.

As for the Computer - I'm not sure..
Sunday, April 01, 2007 8:11 PM
you can keep your tranny ( althought a 92-94 HO tranny would be a better upgrade ) the engine will bolt up the same(might wanna think about clutch upgrades while you have it out though) best way to run the engine(computer wise) is to find you a 1995 5speed z24 or GT jbody and get the pcm and engine bay wiring from it (also try to get the alternator if you can) ..as for the engine , your gonna need everything that comeswith it..like powersteering,intake and exhaust manifolds, injectors,etc. .. i think the air compressor is the same, maybe someone else will know that one cus i threw mine out

Sunday, April 01, 2007 8:23 PM
I would like to do a stoker, but I am sure it would need more work than bolting it right in. AS far as the computer, can I use my 97 sunfire computer. I am trying to make a swap as easy as possible and if I can get a 2.3 in there with not much work than I will go that route, but I thought that the 2.3 was a worse engine. Also why would I want the alternator out of it, and as far as my header will it bolt on the 2.3, as far as the intake manifold, I want the HO so using the 2.4 was out of the question.

Sunday, April 01, 2007 8:34 PM
What bolts on to the 2.3. Will the motor mount be the same. I am retarded I know but a list would be awsome

1. HO engine( what is the best year, what should I look for)
2. Computer(is this necessary)
3. Exhaust Manifold(can I use my 2.4 header
4. Motor mounts( anything I have to change here)

Anything else?

Monday, April 02, 2007 5:52 AM
1. BEST years are going to be 1990-1992 ..the head casting will have the numbers 086 on the end.
2. It might not be NECESSARY but its better..especially to tune the engine easier( check with gilles on this)
3.you cant use 2.4 manifolds on the 2.3 it will come with the HO intake you guys love and itll will come with an exhuast manifold that will outflow your 2.4 header anyway so youll be fine but alittle port work on the exhuast manfild never hurts
4. motor mounts are the same..just have your old motor nearby incase you need to steal something off it..like a mounting bracket..i used 2.4 mounts when i swapped my first 2.3 quad..theres is no modification needed to mount it up

Monday, April 02, 2007 8:08 AM
I cant find anything for the 2.3 as far as performance parts. Are there more parts available for the 2.4?

Monday, April 02, 2007 8:17 AM
see this is where alot of us argue..cus common knowlege tells us that most of the stock 2.3 parts are better than the aftermarket 2.4 performance parts. but there are still plenty of performance parts out there..ONLY one hard to find is a header

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search