Stock LightWeight Pulley In The Making - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Stock LightWeight Pulley In The Making
Thursday, March 29, 2007 8:41 PM
One of my friends is a support vendor for cobaltss.net (www.nextlevelautosports.net) he doesnt have anything for the cavaliers yet but he had an idea.

he is going to get the stock crank pulley from GM. then we are going to take it to a place where they will keep it the same diameter just make it a less weight buy putting 5 or 6 hole around the middle. much like the look of the AEM ones.

i am going to be testing this out. im going to dyno without it. then install it and go back and dyno with it on.

after all said and done and pending on dyno results or not. how many of you guys would be interested in purchasing one of these?. there would be no need to change the belt becuz it would be stock size. if there isnt a huge bite for it maybe i will be the only cavalier with it. lol

if we get enough people i think he would drop the price a lil bit. but first we gotta figure out a price and everything after we test it out and dyno.

so we are looking around a month to a month and a half for this. we got some steps first.

1. get the gm crank pulley
2. reduce the weight
3. dyno 1.
4. install
5. dyno 2.
6. price it out

sorry if none of that made sense. basically we are trying to make a lightweight stock diameter pulley for the 2.2eco. =)

anyone think they would be interested?

Re: Stock LightWeight Pulley In The Making
Thursday, March 29, 2007 9:04 PM
Pretty sure RSM already makes it. Stock diameter just lighter
Thursday, March 29, 2007 9:08 PM
-MD- LD9 already has the designs for both the crank and alt pulleys.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Thursday, March 29, 2007 11:58 PM
im down to buy one if you guys make it.

Friday, March 30, 2007 2:13 AM
can i get a link to one of them?
Friday, March 30, 2007 5:28 AM
why would we want to buy a heavy-ass stock pulley (just lightened) when billet aluminum ones go for less than $50 all the time?

i paid $30.00 SHIPPED for my RSM underdrive crank pulley and its the lightest one you can buy. again, i ask... why and whats the point?

Friday, March 30, 2007 6:19 AM
Blck05Cavi (joeyPeps) wrote:One of my friends is a support vendor for cobaltss.net (www.nextlevelautosports.net) he doesnt have anything for the cavaliers yet but he had an idea.

he is going to get the stock crank pulley from GM. then we are going to take it to a place where they will keep it the same diameter just make it a less weight buy putting 5 or 6 hole around the middle. much like the look of the AEM ones.

i am going to be testing this out. im going to dyno without it. then install it and go back and dyno with it on.

after all said and done and pending on dyno results or not. how many of you guys would be interested in purchasing one of these?. there would be no need to change the belt becuz it would be stock size. if there isnt a huge bite for it maybe i will be the only cavalier with it. lol

if we get enough people i think he would drop the price a lil bit. but first we gotta figure out a price and everything after we test it out and dyno.

so we are looking around a month to a month and a half for this. we got some steps first.

1. get the gm crank pulley
2. reduce the weight
3. dyno 1.
4. install
5. dyno 2.
6. price it out

sorry if none of that made sense. basically we are trying to make a lightweight stock diameter pulley for the 2.2eco. =)

anyone think they would be interested?

Well hello there.
YOU and YOUR friend do know how much time and research goes into something like this don't you. IT IS not just copy a stock GM pulley. Aluminum even T6-6061 is not as strong as a cast iron pulley. A stress analysis is needed to ensure that nothing will flex or break. Also I have already done everything you have talked about. My Stock diameter LD9 pulley weighs almost three times less then the stock pulley. I did a before and after dyno as well. Made 8 more whp and 6-7 more ft-lbs of torque. Karo at car customs is getting quotes from his machine shop for me. RIGHT now. I hope to here back soon. Wait till you see the price of a well designed pulley. It is MORE than they sell for on EBAY.

Also one of my main concerns with the ecotec is that the oil pump cam rides on the pulley shaft, and I personally do not believe that an aluminum pulley would last under the stress and strain. I designed a two piece pulley to fix this problem, steel and aluminum. I hope to have the prototypes soon. The LD9 pulleys are already designed, and I have sold about 35 sets already. . See my sig. I wish you the best of luck if you continue on your adventure, but you do know it is going to take A LOT of time, money, and effort to get them made.... I hope you and your friend realize this. Best of luck.
-Mike-

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Friday, March 30, 2007 6:23 AM
Mike rocks.

Friday, March 30, 2007 8:36 AM
Carcustomgrills make one thats where I got mine the dang thing only weighs 14 oz. I personally weighed it on a digital freight scale, again this already exists and a stock pulley with holes isn't going to be anywhere near as light as that.
Friday, March 30, 2007 9:47 AM
alright. lol i think he is going to do it either way. and MD LD9... do you have any for sale for the 2.2eco? cuz im interested.
Friday, March 30, 2007 3:28 PM
Nope none yet. See link.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 12:14 PM
Hey -MR- LD9, Have you ever thought of creating a pulley with a EDIS 36-1 tooth wheel CNC'ed into the outer diameter against the motor or even on the front of the pulley?, since I dont think there room against the motor. This would help out everybody who wants to run Megasquirt on a J since there's a whole lot more tuning files and resources for the EDIS ignition setup than the DIS setup. This will also help those who want to run a 2.5L hybrid quad since you dont need to relocate the crank shaft position sensor.

Heres a pic:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, April 04, 2007 12:59 PM
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search