CAm question - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
CAm question
Thursday, March 22, 2007 11:10 AM
What is a good cam for a turbo 2200

Re: CAm question
Thursday, March 22, 2007 12:56 PM
.750" lift @ 720° duration

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Thursday, March 22, 2007 2:00 PM
Brian Whalen wrote:.750" lift @ 720° duration

Ignore the dumbass, and do some research.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Thursday, March 22, 2007 2:40 PM
Team Vision Racing (aka hypsy) wrote:do some research.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Thursday, March 22, 2007 2:44 PM
Team Vision Racing (aka hypsy) wrote:

I prefer smartass, but whatever

-

Thursday, March 22, 2007 6:20 PM
Brian Whalen wrote:

Can we settle on jackass?

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Thursday, March 22, 2007 7:05 PM
i have been but i dont know what to get people tell me that the jbp turbo cam is garbage and say go with stage 2 also i was looking at the ones on importperformanceparts.net and idk what one to get
Thursday, March 22, 2007 7:10 PM
Brian Whalen wrote:

Can we settle on jackass?

deal

-

Friday, March 23, 2007 5:32 AM
Adam Lewis wrote:i have been but i dont know what to get people tell me that the jbp turbo cam is garbage and say go with stage 2 also i was looking at the ones on importperformanceparts.net and idk what one to get

I heard the Stage 47 was better

How to sell stuff in the sport compact market
1. Insert the word "stage" into product title
2. Insert a single digit behind word "stage" even if only one iteration of the product exists
3. People will think it's cool, since Brand X's "Stage 3" has to be better than Brand Y's "Stage 2".

In all seriousness, Adam, YOU need to go out and LEARN (not just spew back the definition of) exactly what lift, duration and degrees of retard are when it comes to camshafts. After that, you will have answered your own question.
Saturday, March 24, 2007 9:20 AM
JBP's forced induction cam is a joke. Sure its got a nice amount of lift, but a lame lame amount of duration. People don't realize that provided you're tuning for it and you have the right configuration, you can run a super long duration cam profile with boost and make TONS of power. See the cam profile I used in my build. Long long long duration, but it made lots of power without too much overlap.

PUSHROD SQUAD 2200 OHV. 462 hp / 396 tq *RIP*
Abe Froman Video Productions on Myspace (click here)

Saturday, March 24, 2007 3:21 PM
JBP's cam is just an overpriced regrind. You can do better by going through Crane Cams, Comp Cams, Isky Racing Cams or any cam grinder of your choice.

The lobe design of the 2.2/2200 is identical to the '87+ Small Block Chevy's hydraulic roller cam. You are limited to how much can be ground off the lobes and they must be ground with the centerlines within +/- 1 degree of the stock lobes. Remember that the 2.2/2200 will have a power band about 400-500rpm higher than a SBC cam profile, so you would want to plan accordingly for your usage.

You best bet is to get a cam from the salvage yard and have your favorite cam company regrind it for you. Call them and talk to them to see what they can do for you.

Saturday, March 24, 2007 9:05 PM
what would be good lift and duration 2 get what does every one else have 4 a turbo 2200
Sunday, March 25, 2007 1:48 AM
Adam Lewis wrote:what would be good lift and duration 2 get what does every one else have 4 a turbo 2200

built motor? how much boost on what turbo? is your head ported? adding full valvetrain? adding ARP head studs?

Sunday, March 25, 2007 9:43 PM
8.1 compression wesico pistons eagle rods ported and polished head 1.6 rocketrs 1mm over sizes ss valves lookin 2 run 15+ psi of boost and a 100 shot of direct port nitrous and full valve train need a good cam sugestions?
Monday, March 26, 2007 10:46 AM
Adam Lewis wrote:8.1 compression wesico pistons eagle rods ported and polished head 1.6 rocketrs 1mm over sizes ss valves lookin 2 run 15+ psi of boost and a 100 shot of direct port nitrous and full valve train need a good cam sugestions?

yeslearnhowtouseacommaordifferentlinesbecauseyourwordingreallylookslikethisanditgoesonandonandonandigetaheadache

Monday, March 26, 2007 10:56 AM

8.1 compression wesico pistons

eagle rods

ported and polished paitrot head

1.6 rocketrs

1mm over sizes ss valves

lookin 2 run 15+ psi of boost

and a 100 shot of direct port nitrous

and full valve train

Also a t3/t4 hybrid turbo

need a good cam

Any sugestions?

Are you happy now???
Monday, March 26, 2007 11:59 AM
ZlineDavid wrote:In all seriousness, Adam, YOU need to go out and LEARN (not just spew back the definition of) exactly what lift, duration and degrees of retard are when it comes to camshafts. After that, you will have answered your own question.

x1,500,000. LEARN what each aspect of the items you're using does. then, LEARN how camshafts work. then, LEARN some more. reciting is NOT LEARNING.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Monday, March 26, 2007 5:45 PM
Adam Lewis wrote:8.1 compression wesico pistons

eagle rods

ported and polished paitrot head

1.6 rocketrs

1mm over sizes ss valves

lookin 2 run 15+ psi of boost

and a 100 shot of direct port nitrous

and full valve train

Also a t3/t4 hybrid turbo

need a good cam

Any sugestions?

Are you happy now???

Okay here's my rant on this subject. Your compression ratio is too low, you will NOT MAKE ANY POWER UNLESS YOU ARE IN BOOST. Go with a higher compression ratio, such as 9.5:1 or 10:1. Your throttle response will be better, and your car won't be a turd when you aren't making boost. There's no need for nitrous with a turbo setup unless you picked a larger turbo that makes all its power up top and you need help getting out of the hole and spooling turbo, and even then there are other ways of doing it. It makes tuning a nightmare. Scratch the nitrous, run 9.5:1 compression on a T3/T04e 60 trim on 15 psi.

As for your cam profile, I'd go somewhere in the region of a 490 lift, in between 215 and 225 degrees duration, and you will make GOOD power. This will need to be tuned on a dyno professionally. You will need to make sure and tell them you have a cam with lots of duration. Anyone who tells you not to run lots of duration is a moron as long as you're tuning it properly.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search