Lightening stock pulleys can it be done safely? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Lightening stock pulleys can it be done safely?
Tuesday, March 06, 2007 10:17 AM
I am getting a custom car grills pulley for my 03 ecotec, and was wondering if it was possible to remove other pulleys, i.e. alternator, tensioner, and waterpump pulleys and through a combination of drilling holes and lathing/ boring them, to remove enough material taht they would still be structurally sound but lighter enough to gain a few hp. Anyone ever try this? The water pump pulley has a very thick side that looks like it could be lathed off quite a bit and I would drill the holes symmectrically so that the balance would hopefully remain unaffected, just trying to get all the information I can before I decide to to this and make a huge mistake.

thanks

Will

Re: Lightening stock pulleys can it be done safely?
Tuesday, March 06, 2007 11:33 AM
Alternator pulley can be lightened, the same way my lightweight alternator pulleys are lighted. Also your tensioner is plastic already, and is VERY light. You also have no waterpump pulley, it is driven off your timing chain, if I remember correctly.

Also if you are asking these kind of questions, YOU should not be modifying any pulleys. IMO

Please check your crank pulley after it has been installed for a week or two to ensure that the oil pump cam lobe is not wearing round. Two stock "2.2 ecotec" STEEL pulleys I have, have rounding and a groove worn in them from the oil pump cam roller. That is why my design has a steel shaft and a aluminum pulley. See below.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, March 06, 2007 11:34 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, March 06, 2007 12:25 PM
Just asking a quick question, I have not taken off the tensioner pulley yet so there was no way I could have known it was plastic. and the water pump on my fiero v6 was not run off of the timing chain if I remember, I am new to the ecotec engine, I just looked under the alternator and saw another pulley and called it the water pump pulley, if its not the alternator, crank, or water pump, then is it the power steering? I haven't really gotten into this engine a whole lot yet.
Tuesday, March 06, 2007 12:42 PM
Now that I think of it Im pretty sure what I was looking at was the AC pulley, Not used to having a car with AC as I removed it from my fiero.
Tuesday, March 06, 2007 2:56 PM
your power steering is driven by the camshaft

below everything at the bottom is the ac compressor, then above is tensionor, and above that is your alternator

water pump is driven by the timing chain

crank pulley is at the bottom, but further in twords the fire wall

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search