2.3 PS Pump on a 2.4 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.3 PS Pump on a 2.4
Monday, March 05, 2007 7:01 PM
I was wondering if it was possible to put the 2.3's belt driven power steering pump on a 2.4l motor? I will be running an 086 head with HO cams and towers and dont really want to hastle with the hex cut if I dont have too. But if the 2.3l pump bolts to the 2.3l block I might have too.

Re: 2.3 PS Pump on a 2.4
Monday, March 05, 2007 7:04 PM
custom make a bracket to hold the pump really i think is all it takes

Monday, March 05, 2007 7:27 PM
Yeah thats what I'm thinking unless somebody tells me it will bolt up.....
Monday, March 05, 2007 8:25 PM
I can't tell very well from all the pictures I've seen, but it looks like the assembly bolts directly to the block...If so, a custom bracket might be required...click

Perhaps some of the Quad 4 guys could comment, because if it is cheaper/easier, I may consider this instead of getting the ld9 lifter bores expanded.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, March 05, 2007 8:26 PM

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Tuesday, March 06, 2007 3:09 AM
Check Magick post in the photo and media forum. He has a few pictures of his old style pump swap. He used the 2.3 bracket to hold it.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Tuesday, March 06, 2007 9:04 AM
2.3LO cam towers = 35mm + it has the hole all ready and cut out, all you would need to do is have the cam have a hex put in it.

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Tuesday, March 06, 2007 10:52 AM
Short Hand wrote:2.3LO cam towers = 35mm + it has the hole all ready and cut out, all you would need to do is have the cam have a hex put in it.

I would sooner fabricate a bracket than screw with the cams......not because I can't do it, but because I just dont want too....PS pump swap should be much easier.
Tuesday, March 06, 2007 11:29 AM
Short Hand wrote:2.3LO cam towers = 35mm + it has the hole all ready and cut out, all you would need to do is have the cam have a hex put in it.

The 88-94 LO cam towers use the 35mm lifters, and old pump setup (just like the HO)

The 95 LO cam towers use the 33mm (2.4) lifters, and the new pump setup (just like the 2.4)

Sooo....... I dont get what your trying to point out?

To run the older belt drive setup on a 3rd gen, you'll have to do like Magik1109 did for his swap.

OR have a machine shop bore out the 2.4 towers to fit the 35mm lifters, which is probably the route I will take.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Tuesday, March 06, 2007 11:43 AM
just make a bracket like i did, the machine shop charged me like 5$ for it. if you use a longer bolt like in the pics, you will have to cut it because its in the way of the dipstick tube. and i dont remember why i had to get the bracket sut at an angle like that... something must be in the way....

you will also need that bracket. this one bolted directly to to the block

Thursday, March 08, 2007 10:25 PM
If I were to do this, would I be looking at getting the pump with variable effort steering or w/o?

Also, would I just go to autozone or advanceautoparts and tell them the size of the belt I need? I did this when I did my underdrive pulley, but I'm asking this because I don't know how small of a belt you can get.

-

Thursday, March 08, 2007 10:48 PM
Nevermind, its the one without variable effort.

-

Saturday, March 10, 2007 12:51 PM
Sorry don't mean to jack the thread, but what if I wanted to use the 086 Head on my 2.4, and just wanted to use the Secret Cams, would there be more to the swap than just boreing out the Water Passage on the Head to match the water passage on the block?

In the planning stage for an all American TRD Cavalier.
Saturday, March 10, 2007 3:36 PM
you wont need to do anything else... just be sure your valves/pistons clearance is allright!!

Sunday, March 11, 2007 4:19 AM
I planned on using the stock HO valves, and get a custom set of 8.5:1 CR Forged Eagle Pistons from Karo. That will give me a CR in the end of 10:1 so I will need HPT to get a nice tune.

In the planning stage for an all American TRD Cavalier.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search