INPUT on the JBP HP OIL PUMP - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
INPUT on the JBP HP OIL PUMP
Wednesday, February 28, 2007 12:21 AM
Well as the topic states... Im looking for feed back on the JBP hp oil pump.

Does Anyone... ANYONE in the JBO.Org, If you have/had this upgrade, please give me your feed back. GOOD or BAD.

Ive done a search, and OF COURSE, seen plenty of positive input on the 2.3 pump swap (even the pics). Id be willing to do it but I dont trust myself to go thru with it and dont see too many people in my city who tried, or even heard of this swap to ask for help.

So anyone with input on this mod... PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

Im pretty sure others would like to know this info for future reference.

Thnxz in advance...!

...They just HATE it when you ...POINT - LAUGH - then DRIVE OFF AND AWAY-!...

Re: INPUT on the JBP HP OIL PUMP
Wednesday, February 28, 2007 12:25 AM
i would like to know also
Wednesday, February 28, 2007 3:56 AM
Whitecavy has one in his motor, for a few months now....

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, February 28, 2007 2:20 PM
The only two people I personally know of who have this product are Whitecavy and Myself. Both of us are happy with the results thus far.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Wednesday, February 28, 2007 4:34 PM
^^ what numbers are you putting down? Nos?
Wednesday, February 28, 2007 8:38 PM
^Why are you asking that question in an oil pump thread?
Wednesday, February 28, 2007 8:54 PM
It really doesn't matter to me how well the JBP pump works since I have already done the 2.3L swap. But for the benefit of others, I have a question:

I don't know what cams you are running Chris, but if you are reving past 6500 RPMs, I would like to know if there is any decrease in oil pressure as the RPMs raise. To my understanding, the JBP is basically a larger version of the stock pump, so I would suspect a drop in pressure with the pump spinning at the same speed as stock... except the pressure should drop slower than stock.

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Wednesday, February 28, 2007 11:01 PM
Quote:

I don't know what cams you are running Chris, but if you are reving past 6500 RPMs, I would like to know if there is any decrease in oil pressure as the RPMs raise. To my understanding, the JBP is basically a larger version of the stock pump, so I would suspect a drop in pressure with the pump spinning at the same speed as stock... except the pressure should drop slower than stock.

Im curious myself...!

WHITECAVY and SweetnessGT,
Thanxz for your input...

Anyone else with INPUT on this topic, PLEASE- Let it be known.

Thursday, March 01, 2007 6:35 AM
I have the pump on my car as well...

No problems so far-- I have probably about 1200 miles on it.. Oil pressure seems okay, usually around 20psi at idle when warm.. I think I'm gonna run a little heavier weight in the summer to get a little higher pressure.

I didn't have an oil pressure gauge hooked up prior to having the pump, so I couldn't tell you if it actually raised the pressure...

Thursday, March 01, 2007 10:45 AM
Umm......isn't the pump just a stocker with the pressure relief valve shimed to increase the pressure.....no more flow rate is possible at higher revs, just higher pressure at idle pretty much. That is why the 2.3L pump swap is so popular, It actually has more flow.
Thursday, March 01, 2007 12:50 PM
Its better flowing than stock, it pushes more oil, creating more lubrication.

Of course it doesnt flow better than the 2.3 conversion because your not drilling oil passages for the jbp pump, no machine work is needed.. So I think its obvious the 2.3 flows better.. But some people dont have the know how to do the 2.3 conversion(machining wise) that was my case.. The reason why I got the JBP pump, better than stock, but not as good as the 2.3...

This debate has gone on and onnnn as far as I can remember.. Nobody was willing to try the JBP pump because forever everybody was saying "ohh thats just a stock pump, 2.3 is the way to go" blah blah... So of course, people not willing to experiment and try new things they followed lead. I was will to try this(Chris as well) JBP pump and see what it can do.. Im gonna see how far I can push it with 350+ whp.. I bet my trans goes before my oil pump

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ

Thursday, March 01, 2007 3:02 PM
Someone with the JBP pump needs to take a video of their oil pressure gauge and tach together and make a couple pulls to redline showing what kind of high rpm oil pressure you have.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Thursday, March 01, 2007 3:15 PM
I never liked the idea of the 2.3 pump conversion. I know people have done it and love it and have had no problems. If I were to do it, it'd get messed up somehow.

The problem is oil shortage at high rpm. Its an issue with the 2.4. If the JBP pump fixes it without drilling my block, I'd agree with WHITECAVY and go for it.

If one of you guys can keep an eye on pressure through the rpm range and post that'd help. Also, anyone have balance shafts removed and this pump? Some ideas and resutls could help him and others out. With HPT everywhere, RPMs higher than stock could become common. So good precausions to take advantage of such RPMs should be made common knowledge as well.

btw if you increase flow through the same hole, it will create more pressure. Depending on where you're grabbing pressure data the differences can be great or very little.

Sven you totally quarterloafed your computer..
Thursday, March 01, 2007 3:23 PM
Skilz10179 wrote:Someone with the JBP pump needs to take a video of their oil pressure gauge and tach together and make a couple pulls to redline showing what kind of high rpm oil pressure you have.

I agree Jeremy. I'll see what I can do this year I wasn't able to get past 6400 rpm cleanly without misfiring last fall and ran out of time to get everything going smooth to 7500... from what I saw though the oil pressure was staying put, but that was only to about 6300 or so RPM.

As I said I'll see what I can do to get a vid.

Joshua, there is more than just a shim in there. I've posted many times what he does to the pump and the new sprocket he puts in, etc... there are a few more things than a shim in there. I opted for this pump myself because I just wasn't willing to go out and find the parts and have the block machined for the 2.3 pump - this was simpler and cheaper so I went with it. We'll see if it was a mistake in due time.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Thursday, March 01, 2007 5:27 PM
I'm planning to add this pump to my factory 2.4. Before I do I will make note of the oil pressure with a stock pump, and then with a JBP pump. I have never had issue with oil pressure dropping with the stock pump. I also do not plan to rev any higher, but I would like to keep my motor running as long as possible.

FU Tuning

Thursday, March 01, 2007 5:38 PM
i bleave that pump is a scam, BUT my self and tom, (monkeywrench) take our motors to 7K, and we both have well over 120K on them..... and i have't been " nice " to mine. i have never seen a 2.4 pump Drop in presser as RPM incress.

so what pump is better, the only reasion i go with the 2.3 pump is because of 2 things, flows more volum, and gets rid of the ballance shafts.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Thursday, March 01, 2007 6:01 PM
Where's Todd when we need his insight? Damn it, I can't find the thread...

Thursday, March 01, 2007 10:25 PM
WHITECAVY, SweetnessGT, Red Devil (thanks for your input by the way)...
I agree, a video of the tach and oil gauges would do this thread and all of its past ones a whole lotta JUSTICE!

Quote:

I opted for this pump myself because I just wasn't willing to go out and find the parts and have the block machined for the 2.3 pump - this was simpler and cheaper so I went with it.

I believe Im going in the same boat as you folks.

However... Anyone else with input on this subject would surely help those of us questioning this pump.

THANXZ to everyone and their opinions and input.

Thursday, March 01, 2007 10:30 PM
By the way...

Quote:

Also, has anyone had the balance shafts removed on this pump?

This is a very good question.

WHITECAVY, SweetnessGT, Red Devil... please inlighten us!

Thursday, March 01, 2007 11:07 PM
Taetsch Z24 wrote:i bleave that pump is a scam, BUT my self and tom, (monkeywrench) take our motors to 7K, and we both have well over 120K on them..... and i have't been " nice " to mine. i have never seen a 2.4 pump Drop in presser as RPM incress.

so what pump is better, the only reasion i go with the 2.3 pump is because of 2 things, flows more volum, and gets rid of the ballance shafts.

Chris

Also Chris... on accident i took mine to 7400 rpm STOCK MOTOR (it was truly a accident too) I "thought" i had lowered the rev limiter down after pulling the built motor but never did and tapped the 7400 rpm limiter a few times.... 5-10 times. I know the motor doesnt flow way up there and at that rpm is a ticking time bomb so i fixed my limiter and its still running. For how long who knows.

Back on topic. Sweetness and i have talked regarding this pump before. Im not sure if i mentioned this but if you get this pump and it uses a different sprocket. YOU HAVE TO GET NEUTRAL BALANCE SHAFTS. 2 reasons, 1 being the pump is built into the balance shaft housing, 2 the balance shafts are timed to the motor and if you increase the number of teeth it will severely put them out of time and will cause damage to the motor. That being said i would really like to see a volume measurement done to the pump plain and simple. Ive learned recently just because its different or uncommon doesnt mean you automatically assume its crap.

I want to see the outcome of this pump and some GOOD pix of the pump disassembled and compared side to side with stock 2.4, jbp 2.4, and 2.3.

Friday, March 02, 2007 4:54 AM
Ill have vids on the dyno here in a couple weeks hopefully..

Also WRENCH, ill have to find pics of the stock vs JBP side by side.. I posted those pictures a while ago when I was collecting parts for my motor.. It was a noticable difference side by side... Damn I hope I can find them..

306 TQ

Friday, March 02, 2007 5:21 AM
Ok, dug up the pics... The pics are crappy and cant really tell.. But draw your own conclusions.

The center spinning thing looks bigger, also the opening to the right of it is increased compared to the stock one.

Stock left, JBP right

From JBP, came with the pump.

306 TQ
Friday, March 02, 2007 5:51 AM
That is a significant change. I hope everyone on here who gave the old "it's just a stock pump with a new release spring" for the last 5 years makes some apologies...

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Friday, March 02, 2007 6:01 AM
OHV notec wrote:That is a significant change. I hope everyone on here who gave the old "it's just a stock pump with a new release spring" for the last 5 years makes some apologies...

I've been trying to tell people this for years... they just won't listen. I doubt there will be any apologies, especially from notable sources. All I've tried to tell people is no it's not just a shim and yes it's probably not as good as a 2.3 pump but quite a decent option for those of us unwilling to do that swap.

To the person who asked me the question about balance shafts, you must run shafts with this pump but I am running custom delete shafts with new sprockets.

Whitecavy, thanks for the pics bro!

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Friday, March 02, 2007 6:39 AM
No problem.. Hopefully ill have numbers here soon to show no significant drop in pressure at 7k If its still good at that rpm, then Ill raise the rev limiter again.. Baby steps.

306 TQ
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search