HOW DO I GET A NEW EXHAUST TO PASS INSPECTION - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HOW DO I GET A NEW EXHAUST TO PASS INSPECTION
Monday, February 26, 2007 9:09 PM
ok so heres my dilemma i currently had an eBay cheapo muffler on my car...i took it to get it inspected and they told me i had to take it off to get it to pass.(stupid Massachusetts laws). So i did and had to put a stock one back on...but now i want to put a after market exhaust on and i want it to kind of look stock but still give good performance...what should i do? is there a muffler out there that sounds good but looks almost stock...i don't need one with one of those crazy 3 inch tips...PLEASE HELP !!!!!

Re: HOW DO I GET A NEW EXHAUST TO PASS INSPECTION
Monday, February 26, 2007 9:13 PM
You can get say a flow master and just not run any sort of tip on it. It will look fairly good and be less restrictive than the stock.

~Boost. Its what's for dinner!~

Monday, February 26, 2007 9:25 PM
dynomax super turbo.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Tuesday, February 27, 2007 8:34 AM
I personaly would go with magnaflow, I have a Full magnaflow exaust to pacesetter headers and i love every inch of it. Just a muffler should be affordable and they generally look stock.
Tuesday, February 27, 2007 10:33 AM
i personally would go to a differetn shop or find a friend's dad that has his own shop to inspect it. That's what i do

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 2:10 PM
well see i tried that but the supposed new laws in Massachusetts state that your exhaust MUST be stock...in order for you to get a sticker...this was 3 different shops telling me this. I dont know if its that true but if it is...it sounds like they trying to get strict kinda like California.
Tuesday, February 27, 2007 2:36 PM
so have them flange the muffler and have a stock 1 for inspection , and another for daily use

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 9:05 AM
find an inspection station that is one the ridge of 2 states, like the RI/MA ones here that are priv. owned. They usually don't care as much, OR find a custom exhaust/hotrod place that does inspections as well, chances are they won't care. In the research I've done, it seems that the new MA law is basiclly, "if it isn't stock, you fail" http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/90-16.htm Good luck! that's one sh**ty law!

Memeber since '99

cardomain New England Tunerz
Wednesday, February 28, 2007 4:10 PM
Land of the Liberals. What do you expect?

--------------------------------------------------------
2002 Sunfire -->
- Ractive steering wheel
- ASA 17" EM9 + Nexen N5000 215/45/17 (steelies for winter)
- D-Spec Lowering kit @ 1.4" (issues currently )
- Rockford P250.1 + MTX MZS1004 + Panasonic CQ-C8313U head unit
- Barely legal tint.
Wednesday, February 28, 2007 4:18 PM
aero mufflers has a "stealth" muffler, might just make for a good combination with those laws

Stealth mufflers

hopethat helps some

Memeber since '99

Thursday, March 01, 2007 6:05 AM
Borla Pro XS It looks just like the stock muffler and its just a little bit louder. (in a good way) then just have the shop weld a stocklike downturn tip on there and your good to go. I had on for a while and i loved it!

Good luck

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch

Thursday, March 01, 2007 11:27 AM
What if you had it done PRIOR to the law change? They can't expect you to go back out and put it all back in.. Just tell the inspector that it was done prior to the law being changed. You should be grandfathered in.

Memeber since '99

Saturday, March 03, 2007 7:06 PM
hey...code zero i tried that...but they said there was no way to prove it. and they said since there was no way to prove it i HAVE to go back to the O.E.M one...STUPID LAWS.
Sunday, March 04, 2007 5:56 AM
that's messed up! But how do they know its OEM? I bet it just has to LOOK OEM....

Memeber since '99

Sunday, March 04, 2007 7:15 AM
If you stick the silencer that came with it, it should drop the sound down near-stock levels.

I'd try for another test site in any case.

--------------------------------------------------------
2002 Sunfire -->
- Ractive steering wheel
- ASA 17" EM9 + Nexen N5000 215/45/17 (steelies for winter)
- D-Spec Lowering kit @ 1.4" (issues currently )
- Rockford P250.1 + MTX MZS1004 + Panasonic CQ-C8313U head unit
- Barely legal tint.
Monday, March 05, 2007 3:10 PM
You could always make your own sticker like a few guys I "know"...
Monday, March 05, 2007 6:46 PM
dynomax super turbo

Monday, March 05, 2007 7:37 PM
Miguel Pabon Jr wrote:well see i tried that but the supposed new laws in Massachusetts state that your exhaust MUST be stock...in order for you to get a sticker...this was 3 different shops telling me this. I dont know if its that true but if it is...it sounds like they trying to get strict kinda like California.

LOL yea sux. I live in Worcester and just found out today when i went o get mine, He said any aftermarket exhaust fails. lol I just begged and he gave it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search