Mufflers - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Mufflers
Monday, December 18, 2006 8:03 PM
I was hoping to do a side exhaust and I noticed that the muffler on the stock (ARG) 2.2 Ecotec is about 20 inches long. The pipe is about 2in in diameter, right? My thought was... basically cut all the extra pipe and run all the major components one after another... the problem is that the muffler is so d*mn long that I am afraid I will run into the gas tank. Although my welding skills are limited, the welding itself is not an issue. Also, this is slightly cosmetic, and not complete performance although I think the sound and air flow should improve from shortening the total length of the system. I plan to dumb the exhaust a little in front of the driver side rear tire. My question, ARE THERE ANY SHORTER MUFFLERS THAT DO NOT SOUND LIKE A LAWN MOWER ???????????? any ideas or encouragement... also I am curently redoing my interior so I will have to post some pics.. THANKS VERY MUCH GUYS. I LOVE THIS PLACE

Re: Mufflers
Tuesday, December 19, 2006 7:00 AM
If you're planning to run your exhuast to the side, I'd get the Flowmaster Hushpower and put it a few inches behind your Converter, and then run a straight pipe to the side and put a little tip on the side if you're going for looks.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2208703
Tuesday, December 19, 2006 8:25 AM
dario wrote:If you're planning to run your exhuast to the side, I'd get the Flowmaster Hushpower and put it a few inches behind your Converter, and then run a straight pipe to the side and put a little tip on the side if you're going for looks.

Will Hushpower be sufficient? he said he doesn't really want the lawn mower sound? Most people use a resonator and muffler to acheive a nice tone?
http://www.hottexhaust.com
Look at the resonators, Cats, and mufflers, magnaflow has round mufflers as well, that may help with fitment.

Perhaps maybe move the cat a little more towards the front of the car? (Am not sure if this will have any effect on sensors, with changing exhaust temp, closer to manifold???), then immediately install the shortest resonator, followed immediatly by the shortest muffler (magnaflow has 14" body, 20" total length mufflers in oval and/OR round design), (magnaflow resonator also features a 14" long body)

Good luck, and post pics if ya get it done

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 8:28 AM
thanks guys I will look into the hushpower!
Tuesday, December 19, 2006 10:33 AM
that hot exhaust website is pretty cool... but they dont describe any particluars other than the dimensions... kinda confused.
Tuesday, December 19, 2006 11:41 AM
You could do your converter, then right behind it put a resonator, then angle the exhaust and put a hushpower, then add the tip at the end... I think that should work. The sound should be good. Good luck with whatever you're trying to do.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 2:16 PM
Let us know when you get it done, I have been considering this myself...
Wednesday, December 20, 2006 6:20 AM
when i weld this stuff together does anyone know if 500 degree temp paint will hold up so I can paint the cut parts of the muffler so they dont rust or will I need to buy 900. Thanks
Wednesday, December 20, 2006 7:27 AM
get the 900 just to be safe

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 9:52 AM
thanks
Wednesday, December 20, 2006 9:52 AM
does it actually work as a rust proofer???

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 10:23 AM
if your tryin to rust proof it just get a wire brush and brush it down and hit it w a can of cold galvanize and it will seal it up

HORN BROKEN.....WATCH FOR FINGER!!!
Wednesday, December 20, 2006 4:17 PM
where can I get the cold galvanise... I have never heard of it... Thanks though it sounds really cool. So, I guess I will do some research. Peace
Wednesday, December 27, 2006 1:42 PM
bump
Wednesday, December 27, 2006 2:05 PM
Redzed99 wrote:
Will Hushpower be sufficient? he said he doesn't really want the lawn mower sound? Most people use a resonator and muffler to acheive a nice tone?
http://www.hottexhaust.com
Look at the resonators, Cats, and mufflers, magnaflow has round mufflers as well, that may help with fitment.

Perhaps maybe move the cat a little more towards the front of the car? (Am not sure if this will have any effect on sensors, with changing exhaust temp, closer to manifold???), then immediately install the shortest resonator, followed immediatly by the shortest muffler (magnaflow has 14" body, 20" total length mufflers in oval and/OR round design), (magnaflow resonator also features a 14" long body)

Good luck, and post pics if ya get it done

Moving the cat forward shouldn't hurt. I moved mine forward a little bit when I redid my exhaust. It's been on about a month and I don't notice any difference. No codes either, which is odd because I used a Magnaflow round -style OBD I race cat and just welded an O2 bung right it, no O2 sim or anything. Go figure.

Saturday, December 30, 2006 12:41 PM
much apreciation ln2johnny
Thursday, January 04, 2007 1:19 PM
mr. duchaine wrote:that hot exhaust website is pretty cool... but they dont describe any particluars other than the dimensions... kinda confused.

They give part numbers and dimensions on that site..
..for more details maybe try the magnaflow website directly...i think that would provide some more usefull information..

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search