a/c removal - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
a/c removal
Saturday, October 21, 2006 4:18 PM
i am wanting to take out the a/c system in my 98 cav. z24 i was wondering what size belt to get when i take the compressor out?and if anyone can tell me what all is involved with taking the a/c out besides the compressor ,thanks

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"

Re: a/c removal
Saturday, October 21, 2006 5:09 PM
You'll need to order the A/C delete pulley... it's just an idler pulley. Then you just re-use the stock size belt. I don't remember what the belt routing looks like off hand, but I don't think you can just run a shorter belt.

You'll also have to have the A/C discharged by a trained shop... it's bad to just "release" it... environmentally and ethically

Out of curiousity... why are you removing it?

Saturday, October 21, 2006 5:56 PM
I want to know to... wouldnt a high powered car running boost kill the compressor...?
Saturday, October 21, 2006 7:27 PM
Daniel Noriega wrote:I want to know to... wouldnt a high powered car running boost kill the compressor...?

Why would it? Its not like its spinning faster (unless you up the RPM's), and the engine doesn't push hp through the compressor...

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Saturday, October 21, 2006 8:20 PM
i was told belt number 345k5 without the compressor for both the LD9 and ecotec
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=365324&t=365051#365324
and its like $16-17 dollars from advance auto parts for a Dayco belt

The one, the only, ME.
Sunday, October 22, 2006 12:25 PM
dont you have to get something welded?
Sunday, October 22, 2006 12:43 PM
Welded? No..

But keep in mind... dropping the A/C only nets you about 35 pounds of weight loss.... so the gains there are negligible. Unless you're needing the space for something like charge piping.... the worse performance of your defrost system would suck too... I'd just leave it in there.

In fact... I'm trying to keep my A/C with my motor swap.... the L67 compressor is in the same spot.... and let's face it... on a hot day, nothing beats nice cold a/c blowing out the vents while you sit in traffic!!

Sunday, October 22, 2006 2:19 PM
^^^^^^^^you have a convertble what do you need a/c for lol im plenty happy with just 2 windows and a sunroof lol

The one, the only, ME.
Sunday, October 22, 2006 6:32 PM
well one reason i was thinking about doing it was after reading quite a few profiles that have said they have done this and it does lessen weight but more importantly the a/c doesnt work like its supposed to anyways and yes i agree it is a convertible,chicks love the top down. i guess ill try whatever is easiest and the most inexpensive way ,shorter belt or delete pulley i do need the room as well the car will be turboed by next summer as well as many other mods to come

Sunday, October 22, 2006 7:08 PM
John Lenko wrote:You'll need to order the A/C delete pulley... it's just an idler pulley. Then you just re-use the stock size belt. I don't remember what the belt routing looks like off hand, but I don't think you can just run a shorter belt.

You'll also have to have the A/C discharged by a trained shop... it's bad to just "release" it... environmentally and ethically

Not so. You can lose the A/C and not use the AC delete pulley. You can run a belt from the Alternator to the crank.

FU Tuning

Sunday, October 22, 2006 9:14 PM
John Higgins wrote:
John Lenko wrote:You'll need to order the A/C delete pulley... it's just an idler pulley. Then you just re-use the stock size belt. I don't remember what the belt routing looks like off hand, but I don't think you can just run a shorter belt.

Not so. You can lose the A/C and not use the AC delete pulley. You can run a belt from the Alternator to the crank.

this is true..........i removed my compressor as well and ran a belt from the alt to the crank and on the opposite side of the tensioner....

Monday, October 23, 2006 3:45 AM
Some 345K5 belts will NOT fit a 2.4L. I'm unsure why. Some will and some are just to short. I know the one from advanced autoparts fit fine, but the one I tried from autozone and napa were WAY to short.

Also....
GM bypass pulley 2.4L p/n # 24574519
Just because...GM bypass pulley 2.3L p/n # 22533199

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, October 23, 2006 5:23 AM
^^^^interesting to know thanks

The one, the only, ME.
Monday, October 23, 2006 2:53 PM
so i guess i can get the 345k5 belt from advance and try it out but i have another question should i also take out the condenser as well ?

Monday, October 23, 2006 3:03 PM
id say its worth taking it out id say and its not to hard.

it also leaves a very nice place to put an intercooler hahaha

The one, the only, ME.
Monday, October 23, 2006 3:27 PM
for now iwas thinking oil/tranny cooler until the turbo comes?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search