Motor Mount Advice - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Motor Mount Advice
Wednesday, October 18, 2006 3:41 PM
i have a 1999 Z24. i just installed the autotrans interceptor and it thuds into D now. i was going to get upper and lower mounts to fix this, and when TTR comes out with it, the auto tranny mount. now i also heard you get vibration from these mounts. should i be alright if i just change the upper one? that way the thudding stops but i dont get the vibration? and then later on get the auto tranny mount?

thanks.

FOR SALE: (5) '95-'99 Z24 Rims

Re: Motor Mount Advice
Wednesday, October 18, 2006 3:48 PM
mounts dont change the 'thud'

You may have to take it off, to get things back to normal.
Resintall with zero pressure and just steadily work it until you get the settign you like.

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Wednesday, October 18, 2006 4:02 PM
thats what i was told
Misnblu wrote:It's normal for the ets to go off depending on the year of your car.
On the clunking, do you have engine mounts??
If not and you still have the original mounts, will cause it to clunk because of the harder line pressure making the tranny shift harder.
If the engine mounts haven't been changed, you better do so with this shift kit. If not, you'll stand the chance of hurting the factory engine mounts even more causing more problems in the drivetrain too.

I've had my autotransinterceptor for about 5 years now set at 75 percent. No problems and still works great to this day.
Good luck with it. Once you do get used to it's benefits, you'll never go back to stock.

Misnblu
i was hoping that it would help it out a bit, considereing that would make sense...stopping the motor from moving so much...esp the tranny mount.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 7:22 PM
It is not the motor that is moving actually.

It is something with the transmission, and I love the feel of it!

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 10:03 PM
1999 Cavalier Z24 wrote:thats what i was told
Misnblu wrote:It's normal for the ets to go off depending on the year of your car.
On the clunking, do you have engine mounts??
If not and you still have the original mounts, will cause it to clunk because of the harder line pressure making the tranny shift harder.
If the engine mounts haven't been changed, you better do so with this shift kit. If not, you'll stand the chance of hurting the factory engine mounts even more causing more problems in the drivetrain too.

I've had my autotransinterceptor for about 5 years now set at 75 percent. No problems and still works great to this day.
Good luck with it. Once you do get used to it's benefits, you'll never go back to stock.

Misnblu
i was hoping that it would help it out a bit, considering that would make sense...stopping the motor from moving so much...esp the tranny mount.

Motor Mounts won't reduce the impact. If anything,you would feel it worse with mounts (the vibration has to go somewhere...where else but the weak cabin). Poly motor mounts also increase the vibrations felt of the motor drastically at low rpms and fade away at higher rpms, I ran my car for a little while on the setting "2" of the B&M Shift kit...to say the least, it was terrifying, so I put it at setting "1" 24/7. I also have both the lower dog-bone and upper insert mounts.
Thursday, October 19, 2006 3:42 AM
does any body have just one mount? if so how bad are the vibrations?

Thursday, October 19, 2006 8:13 AM
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=46&i=255520&t=255520

mine doesnt hit as hard as it did before , i havent put my lower mount back in yet , i didnt take it out because of vibes , a friend needed it

so right now ive got just 1 in , also if you shift into reverse leave it there a couple seconds , then quickly shift into drive its usually not as bad

my shift plus is always on level 2 , which is the firmest of the 2 settings

ive always had both mounts , and the vibes in mine have never been that bad that it became anoying

another great thing is HP tuners being out , once i set my idle up around 700-750 it smoothed out alot , even with the a/c on which is usually where its bad with the auto's

dont expect a large difference with the clunk going into gear with mounts , but there will be a little difference , and a different feel to it

Thursday, October 19, 2006 12:31 PM
so should i get just the top mount or both? and what about the auto mount?

Thursday, October 19, 2006 9:13 PM
I'd say get them just for the sake of getting them.

My car felt more responsive with both motor mounts (not so much with only the upper insert though)
Friday, October 20, 2006 2:47 PM
Im telling you it is not the motor moving.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search