b&m shiftplus - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
b&m shiftplus
Wednesday, October 18, 2006 12:51 PM
I have been hearing many different stories about the shiftplus. Some good some bad. What exactly does it do? Will it increase acceleration times any? Is it a good investment? Thank you for your time

Re: b&m shiftplus
Wednesday, October 18, 2006 2:51 PM
DONT POST THE SAME THING IN 2 DIFFERENT FORUMS

The one, the only, ME.
Wednesday, October 18, 2006 3:47 PM
I have one, and love it. I do notice that my 1/4 mile times are more consistant, and slightly lower than before. (17.89 vs 17.76) aswell my trap speed was 6kph higher.

It's fun to use, and I love how it allows my 4 door 2200 to chirp the tires from shifting from 1st to 2nd.

The problem is that it does wear out the transmittion faster. People who drive around with it "on" all the time, have ended up with tranny problems. I leave mine off, unless I'm at the track, then I use setting number 2 (firmest shifts). I may switch mine to setting number 1 while on the street for alittle fun, but 99% of the time it's off.

I did have a problem, that a tranny gasket started leaking after I installed mine. I have that replaced, and have not had any problem since.

For $50.00 it's a great part to add, but it's use on the street is limited imo.

Thursday, October 19, 2006 5:51 PM
where can you pick one up and can you install it yourself or have to take it somewhere
Thursday, October 19, 2006 6:40 PM
Evil Cavalier wrote:I have one, and love it. I do notice that my 1/4 mile times are more consistant, and slightly lower than before. (17.89 vs 17.76) aswell my trap speed was 6kph higher.

It's fun to use, and I love how it allows my 4 door 2200 to chirp the tires from shifting from 1st to 2nd.

The problem is that it does wear out the transmittion faster. People who drive around with it "on" all the time, have ended up with tranny problems. I leave mine off, unless I'm at the track, then I use setting number 2 (firmest shifts). I may switch mine to setting number 1 while on the street for alittle fun, but 99% of the time it's off.

I did have a problem, that a tranny gasket started leaking after I installed mine. I have that replaced, and have not had any problem since.

For $50.00 it's a great part to add, but it's use on the street is limited imo.

i dunno about that, drove just about 2 yrs with the setting on "2" and when i pulled the trans to do the converter, we also pulled the transmission apart to check it over and do some upgrades, clutch packs looked great. trick is dont use cheap @!#$ fluid and dont go 50,000kms+ without changing the fluid!

Thursday, October 19, 2006 7:03 PM
yea, i thought it was supposed to be better on the tranny?

Thursday, October 19, 2006 7:41 PM
Zduece4 wrote:yea, i thought it was supposed to be better on the tranny?

as long as the fluid temps stay down
Saturday, October 21, 2006 4:47 PM
On my 2004 stage 1 seems to slow the car down. Think the tranny still slips quite a bit and wastes efficiency... although, the RPMs stay lower than the stock setting and my motor does better at higher RPMs. Might be good for a boosted or heavily modded motor that has too much power for the stock settings.

Stage 2 seems a little harsh, but very efficient. Seems to make the car faster or at least not slow it down. Makes the car alot of fun to drive. Really launches when it shifts. I try not to use it alot, just in case it's killing my car. Nice to have a "James Bond" type switch in your car though... LOL.
Saturday, October 21, 2006 7:57 PM
I heard that these werent being made anymore? Where can you find them?

Saturday, October 21, 2006 8:23 PM
gravanatuning.com

V Dub wrote:"Portion control my ass. Good thing she's not a psychiatrist. Oh, your addicted to alcohol, oh you're addicted to crack? Well next time you get that crack rock...... just smoke half of it."

Saturday, October 21, 2006 8:23 PM
http://www.carcustoms.net/product_info.php?cPath=266_23_135_611&products_id=477

You're probably thinking of the Auto Trans Interceptor. It was easier to install. Only needed to be plugged in between the transmission and stock plug. I think I heard that it had two adjustments, 1 for shift firmness and 1 for shift point. Had to be adjusted under the hood and cost over $100.00 though. Would have been nice to try out... Unfortunately, that's the one no longer being made.

I'd say stage 2 on the B&M is worth $45.00 though. Stage 1 may actually come in handy for keeping the RPMs / noise down when I have to get started from a stoplight and there's a police car nearby.

Saturday, October 21, 2006 8:32 PM
Hey... That http://www.gravanatuning.com place has the Interceptor too!!! Wish I saw that before I installed the B&M. I looked everywhere for one with no luck. Oh well...

Still think they're no longer being made. Maybe this place has some left...
Sunday, October 22, 2006 5:00 PM
Cancel what I said about stage 1...

Just installed the RK Sport underdrive pulley and now I'm liking stage 1 on the B&K when it seemed to rob power before. On the stock setting, the engine seems to rev too high without the car really going anywhere now that the pulley's installed. Stage 1 seems like an improvement. The B&K is turning out to be very useful and versatile.

With an intake, RK Sport / Magnaflow single pipe catback exhaust, 60mm throttle body from Reveco, B&K Shift Plus, and now the pulley... the Cav is going alot faster than I thought possible. Thanks MUCH to the folks here and for the "Full Ecotec Build Guide" sticky thread. The pulley made more difference than I expected. Think it's a great compliment to the slightly larger throttle body.

Still have to put on the motor mounts and I'm done... At least 'till spring... Was going to put them on while I was doing the pulley and found I had no 15mm socket Maybe someone should update the build guide to include the better upper motor mount I was reading about on one of these threads. I bought the RK Sport thinking it was the only one available... Now I find out it will vibrate badly, the top piece will break off and there's a better one available.... Oh well... I'm not going to cry about it... At least until the top piece breaks off... How bad does it vibrate??? Will my voice sound funny when I try to order at a drive-thru???... LOL

Probably going to stick with just the bolt-ons. Maybe a supercharger eventually...

Great site, great people. Learned MUCH by reading through these threads... THANKS!!!
Wednesday, November 01, 2006 4:02 PM
i just bought a b&m shiftplus off ebay without doin much research on it other than looking at the new models on the b&m site and the guy sent me what looks like an older model with hose and t-fittings and a knob/dial adjustor on the main part.He told me that it will work on the 4 speed auto cavalier with the 4t40e trans.He also said it simply tees into the vacuum line for the tranny,is this true and if so where would that line be cause i cant find it in the Chiltons manual

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Wednesday, November 01, 2006 4:07 PM
Shift+ ALL THE WAY!

Improved my 1/4mile by .5 of a sec.

I hardly ever use it, but when I want to it works FLAWLESSLY!

My Myspace Page
Saturday, November 04, 2006 5:41 AM
we sell the b&m shift plus at advance auto. u gota order it for the camaros, but its the same tranny and we can usually get it overnighted. we just put one on my cousins 02 cavi, and he lieks it just fine.

Proud member of JBOK
Saturday, November 04, 2006 6:31 AM
ive got it, i love it, flings me forward when it shifts...its frickin FUN to drive with it on...just dont go overkill. i can feel like the tranny is gettin killed unless your driving it hard...so if your driving it light, then dont turn it on.

this useless post brought to you by the alcoholic known as LUNDiS

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 4:46 PM
so bottom line is this good on the transmission performance/reliabilty wise???
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search