motor swap questions - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
motor swap questions
Saturday, August 12, 2006 1:56 PM
alright i am thinking of doing a swap in my 97 over the winter now i dunno what motor to swap in. now i was thinking 3.1 out of the older cavaliers or newer 3.1 like a corsica motor but i definatly want 5 spd. and i know the 3100's in corsicas are automatic. so will the 5 spd tranny off an older 3.1 cavy...like anything up till 94 bolt to the newer 3.1's. or should i swap in an ecotec. no matter what i get it will eventually be turbo. any suggestions, help pics anything?...i searched and found a little info but not quite enough to help me make my decision. oh and btw way no one tell me 3.8 or 3.8 s/c...not practical imo...or affordable in my case

Visit me on Cardomain

Re: motor swap questions
Sunday, August 13, 2006 6:47 AM
Monday, August 14, 2006 4:03 PM
Why do I bother writing FAQ articles if no one is going to read them?

http://www.j-body.org/faq//102/

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 2:38 AM
WOW, 5k-10k to get a 3400 swap running? You must be considering the cost of shop labor in there John?

Mike - You can use the 2.2 tranny on the 3.1/3100. You'll just need to use a 2.2 flywheel/clutch. Preferably go with at least a stage 2 clutch. If you're going to use a 3100, I would go with a 00+. Using a 3.1 will get you less power than a 2.4 swap. A small port 3100 (95-99) will give you just barely more power than a 2.4 swap. Doing the work yourself you can accomplish the swap for around 1000 dollars.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 9:14 AM
meh changed my mind...gonna rebuild the 2.2 i got and turbo it...what kind of numbers poeple getting with a 2.2 turbo running around 6-7 psi?...just rough estimates

Visit me on Cardomain
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search