Octane Booster...Fact or Fiction - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Octane Booster...Fact or Fiction
Thursday, August 10, 2006 5:57 AM
Everytime I go to Autozone to get new oil or other fluids I always see a bottle of Octane Booster. I know you have all seen them, do they work? I mean if I fill up my tank with regular unleaded gasoline and then add a bottle of octane booster, will i feel a significant difference? Can it do any harm to my car? haha It just looks like a product thats used to hook ricers because it has the huge NOS logo and says "not legal for street use"...so tell me, does it work?

deleted

Re: Octane Booster...Fact or Fiction
Thursday, August 10, 2006 6:10 AM
its not needed for our cars. especially if you only use regular.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 6:56 AM
so what if i put in super unleaded? Will i notice any power increases or performance differences?

deleted
Thursday, August 10, 2006 7:53 AM
It boosts the octane of the gas. That's it. It's a bottle of super high octane. It won't increase the power of your car.

Our cars are designed for regular unleaded gas, putting in super won't increase the power. But if you want to waste money, go for it

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/676422/1
Thursday, August 10, 2006 7:59 AM
its a gimmick. at most itll raise your octane rating by 2-3 points tops.

93 pump is the highest id worry about running for anything 400 whp and under,
although if your cars boosted id never but anything below 91 octane in it. if its a n/a cavy crapbox, then 87 is all it deserves.

if you want to get crazy, you can score yourself some toluene and make your own race gas.

i believe xylene is usable as well.
Thursday, August 10, 2006 8:53 AM
ccfab wrote:its a gimmick. at most itll raise your octane rating by 2-3 points tops.

although if your cars boosted id never but anything below 91 octane in it. if its a n/a cavy crapbox, then 87 is all it deserves.

if you want to get crazy, you can score yourself some toluene and make your own race gas.

not even 2-3 points. its just fuel injector cleaner at best
Thursday, August 10, 2006 10:38 AM
There are some that raise it up to 7 points... but here's the trick... it's POINTS... ie from 87 to 87.7. Not worth the cost.

The main ingredient is toluene. Do a google search on adding toluene, because you can buy a big can for cheap at the hardware store, and add that to your cheap gas to boost the octane rating.

I wouldn't bother on a stock car... if you NEEDED to run higher octane to avoid detonation (turbo, supercharged cars, or really high compression), then maybe this is a cost-alternative method for you... otherwise, don't bother.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 10:44 AM
ccfab wrote:its a gimmick. at most itll raise your octane rating by 2-3 points tops.

So by following your logic, a 14:1 compression ratio 2.3 with a low duration cam would only need 91- because it has under 400whp? It show right there that you talk out of your @$$.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Thursday, August 10, 2006 4:13 PM
junk. save your money and buy feul injector cleaner

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Thursday, August 10, 2006 4:43 PM
There is one product that actually raises it buy full numbers but I forgot what it is called. Also, our cars run best on mid-grade gas. Smoother idle without killing the computer. Most people know that alot of the gas stations out there have a crappy octane rating from all the shipping and sitting out in the sun gas has to go through before it gets to the pump. I believe the best gas out there was from BP? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. When it says 87 you're truly getting 87 and so on. Some local guy tested this theory after hearing about it in a Hot Rod Mag issue and found it to be true. 7-10 different gas station he went to tested under the advertised octane. I wish I still knew his contacts so I can get all the info but for right now..........

Octane boosters are a waste unless you dump about 3-4 bottles of it into your tank. That alone can cost as much as a regular fill up with the more reasonable gas prices out there now.

N2O + Bolt-ons = 220Hp/250Tq

Coming Soon:HpTunersPro, EagleConnectingRods, WiescoPistons, 13sec2200
Thursday, August 10, 2006 5:13 PM
For people with the GM charger, the GM reflash is designed to pull timing in the event that you start using 87 octane. It can run 87 octane.

It's not the smartest thing to do though obviously, the car does suffer and it does make a huge difference as far as performance goes.

But if you still have a car running stock compression and unboosted, it'd be a good idea to just stick with 87.

I know there are some places in the country selling as low as 83 I believe, but you'd have to be living somewhere where the altitude is way above sea level, or just have a really crappy gas station.

if you don't see a reason why you need higher than 87, stick with 87. Saves money in the long run also.

Friday, August 11, 2006 8:46 AM
It seems that alot of people are having good results with the Torco fuel additive. We use them on alot on the 03-04 Mustang Cobras at the shop that make alot of power. For example, one of the shop cars is a twin turbo 2003 Mustang Cobra with a bone stock motor running two GT30R turbos. I believe on 14 psi it put down 683hp which is pushing it to the edge on 93 octane. When we added Torco, turned up the boost to 17psi, and a little bit more tuning, the car put down 770hp without any pinging, knocking, etc...
We also built and tuned a customers twin turbo Cobra running a different turbo kit, but still using two GT30R turbos. This one has a built & stroked Cobra 4 valve motor with ported heads and cams. It made 744hp at 17psi of boost with 19 degrees of timing with Torco.
We also dynoed a twin turbo 2006 Dodge Viper with Torco that put down around 730ish horsepower at around 9psi with the stock bottem end.

FYI, Mike Karas also uses Torco in his 03 Cobra.....exhaust, Whipple supercharger, intake, and about 20 psi of boost. The car put down a little bit over 600hp with pump gas with a can of Torco.

http://www.torcoracefuels.com/index.php

275hp & 306tq - 1999 2.2 ohv
13.2 @ 108 mph
-1996 2.4 liter + Turbo + Built motor + Torco + More boost = Lots o' Power
-2000 Mustang GT + 2004 Cobra motor, Whipple 2.3 supercharger,
built rear-end,Dodge Viper spec T56 6 speed, bolt-ons = wheelies at the track!!!!!

Saturday, August 12, 2006 9:35 AM
I've been using Torco Accelerator U (unleaded) 32oz. to 15gals. of 91octane (the highest we can get at the pump here) = 98 octane. It turns the plugs a little reddish from the slight amount of MMT that's in it , but it really does make a difference.

I bought 5gals. of it for $168 shipped v. the 32oz. cans @ $17 somthing ea.

"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Saturday, August 12, 2006 11:41 AM
^^^^^^^That's the stuff I was referring to! Torco! I couldn't get the name in my head at the time!

N2O + Bolt-ons = 220Hp/250Tq

Coming Soon:HpTunersPro, EagleConnectingRods, WiescoPistons, 13sec2200
Saturday, August 12, 2006 3:35 PM
the highest we have here, in monroe michigan, is 110 octane.

Saturday, August 12, 2006 5:47 PM
Beyond "don't waste the money if you don't need it for higher compression", lower octane fuels will usually have a higher yield = better fuel economy and power. Also, try running acetone with 87 regular (no ethanol or it won't work properly). You'll get better fuel economy, a much cleaner engine, and maybe even a tiny bit better performance.
Saturday, August 12, 2006 7:00 PM
john317(AKA Gary the Old guy) wrote:I've been using Torco Accelerator U (unleaded) 32oz. to 15gals. of 91octane (the highest we can get at the pump here) = 98 octane. It turns the plugs a little reddish from the slight amount of MMT that's in it , but it really does make a difference.

I bought 5gals. of it for $168 shipped v. the 32oz. cans @ $17 somthing ea.

You might want to call the shop and see what kind deal we could get you with Torco. If I remember correctly, we sell Torco for $15 each can. We actually ship out Torco to customers also......
972-395-9844 HPP Racing.com

275hp & 306tq - 1999 2.2 ohv
13.2 @ 108 mph
-1996 2.4 liter + Turbo + Built motor + Torco + More boost = Lots o' Power
-2000 Mustang GT + 2004 Cobra motor, Whipple 2.3 supercharger,
built rear-end,Dodge Viper spec T56 6 speed, bolt-ons = wheelies at the track!!!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search