Custom exhaust! YIKES!!! - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Custom exhaust! YIKES!!!
Monday, March 27, 2006 4:24 PM
First this is bolted on the 2004 year Ecotec.
I put on a coated Pacesetter 4-1 header/down-pipe, stainless Dyna converter and stainless Magnaflow Street Performance muffler. I had the exhaust shop weld up the the converter back. A couple bends were removed and exhaust is as straight as possible from header to tip.
Anyway it is VERY VERY loud. At idle and up to about 3,000 it is unruly. Almost sounds like I have NO exhaust up to the 3000 area. Sounds terrific when I hit it and R's climb very nicely all the way to red-line. Before engine would start slowing down around 6 now engine climbs rapidly to red-line of 6250.
My question is how can I tone this down a bit? I would hate to have to take off anything becuase all is such nice stuff. Would a resonator help in toning this down? There is NO raspy noise, definitely not a rice burner but my son was covering his ears in the car and I felt like it as well.
Thanks for your input I appreciate 'and need it'.
Wayne

Re: Custom exhaust! YIKES!!!
Monday, March 27, 2006 4:34 PM
Yes a resonator will help alot, the bigger the better. Also let the exhaust break in. I just had mine done about two weeks ago. It has softened down alot since then.

Also another problem i had to have fixed that made the sound loud was the tip itself. The first placment of the tip was back set alittle. The air was getting trapped under my bumper and was loud as hell. I had the tip moved back a few inches and that cured the problem.

Monday, March 27, 2006 4:39 PM
resonator like he said works wonders....have any pics?

Monday, March 27, 2006 5:06 PM
I'll get some pics. Car is pretty new to me and I am just begining my mods. General bolt ons right now.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search