Pulleys?! - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Pulleys?!
Monday, March 27, 2006 12:19 AM
Hey guys, I am looking into getting a pulley for my car. I have been reading up on the ebay ones and all on the other post as well. I am wondering if the unorthodox pulley for the crank is the same size as the stock. I am wanting to get some gains without messing up my altenator and my charging system. Wouldn't getting stock size, lighter pulley's give the same gains as smaller, lighter pulley's? I have seen the rsm racing ones as well but I don't know if I am wanting to pay $320 for just 2 of them if I am going to see little to hardly any gains. Just wanting to know your input and if anybody else is running any pulley's on there boosted setups. Thanks in advance!

~Boost. Its what's for dinner!~

Re: Pulleys?!
Monday, March 27, 2006 2:03 AM
Quote:

I am wondering if the unorthodox pulley for the crank is the same size as the stock.

Nope

Unorthodox Pulley = Underdrive Pulley = Smaller than stock (in diameter)

Quote:

Wouldn't getting stock size, lighter pulley's give the same gains as smaller, lighter pulley's?

No. The smaller ones give less rotation...the less rotation, the easier it will turn, hence, the less power it's robbing from rotation. It's really not that much in power but it's something to think about and probably notice.

Quote:

I have seen the rsm racing ones as well but I don't know if I am wanting to pay $320 for just 2 of them if I am going to see little to hardly any gains.

If you're refering to buying an alternator pulley and crank pulley...alternator pulley isn't even worth purchasing and you'll probably notice no type of gains. Ask PhlatCav OR read other threads about it.

Quote:

I am wanting to get some gains without messing up my altenator and my charging system.

If you get an underdrive pulley, you won't mess up your alternator...I know this from first hand experience and your alternator charging is still regulated by your alternator pulley. An underdrive pulley changes the amount of power that goes to accessories, that's it. It's really only noticeable at idle with dimming of the lights..that's it.

If you get an smaller (in diamter) alternator pulley, you WILL mess up the charging system of your alternator.

Quote:

wanting to know your input and if anybody else is running any pulley's on there boosted setups.

I'm running an RK Sport Underdrive pulley on my Turbo Setup...works fine. When you're supercharged, you use a special crank pulley.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search