will 98 2.2 head work on my 02 2.2 ? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
will 98 2.2 head work on my 02 2.2 ?
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 5:05 PM
im going to be pulling my cyl head off of my 02 cavi 2200, i purchased a 2.2 head off of a 98 cavi with the 2.2, will this 98 head work on my 2002? i know i have to block off the egr port,but is there anything else i should know b4 i get this head checked, ported and polished??

Re: will 98 2.2 head work on my 02 2.2 ?
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 5:43 PM
They are both 2200 motors, so I don't see why it wouldn't fit.

I would also recommend you reading this:

History of the LN2

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 6:04 PM
thanks, do you think there will be a noticable diff. after i get the head shaved down a bit, port and polish, and i bought arp head studs and the N/A metal headgasket from CC>? like maybe 10-15 HP? i already have a 4to1 header and CAI
Wednesday, March 22, 2006 5:40 AM
corey foss wrote:thanks, do you think there will be a noticable diff. after i get the head shaved down a bit, port and polish, and i bought arp head studs and the N/A metal headgasket from CC>? like maybe 10-15 HP? i already have a 4to1 header and CAI

I honestly can't answer that question for you.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 6:38 AM
i dont think you'll get that much of a gain, alot of us have alot more bolt on's with the head work and i doubt were making more than whats supposed to be stock. check here found this, 7th post from the bottom, guy dynoed his 2200, or 2.2 not sure and wasn't pushing too much, he has a list of his mods. Only reason i know is cause i have about the exact things done to my 2200 and im getting the new Patriot Head with larger valves and such.
Wednesday, March 22, 2006 6:43 AM
Riley Webb wrote:i dont think you'll get that much of a gain, alot of us have alot more bolt on's with the head work and i doubt were making more than whats supposed to be stock. check here found this, 7th post from the bottom, guy dynoed his 2200, or 2.2 not sure and wasn't pushing too much, he has a list of his mods. Only reason i know is cause i have about the exact things done to my 2200 and im getting the new Patriot Head with larger valves and such.

FYI: The patriot head is for the 95-97 2.2 OHVs, not the 98-2002 2200 OHVs.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 9:45 AM
The one featured on their website is, but a few of us and myself included here in about a month, have one for the 2200.
Saturday, March 25, 2006 12:43 PM
i guess i will have to see for myself, i dont quite belive that i wont see much of an increase,the head is getting ported and polished, machined down 8 thou, i have a 10 thou. thinner MHG, hows that not going to raise the compression up enough to make more power?? right now my car has all poly motor and trans mounts, B/M short throw shifter, header, CAI. I dont really know what else i can really do to make more power than what i am doing, besides full exhaust, turbo or super charger.
Saturday, March 25, 2006 3:00 PM
You'll probably see a mild to modest gain, mostly in the upper rpms. Most of the gains will come from the P&P, though the increase in compression might help a little bit. Your only talking about maybey 2/10th of a point in compression, so the gains would only be minimal from the compression.

Since you didn't complete your profile we can only guess what else you have done. You only list the header as far as exhaust goes, so I would say do the rest of the exhast, including a high flow CAT and full 2.25" exhaust, from the header back. The 2.3L HO throttle body (56mm as compared to 52mm) conversion would help, on the intake side.

To see any more gains, after whats listed above, you would need to change the cam. Probably even higher compression, like 10-10.5:1, with hyperutectic or forged pistons. You would also want to consider raising the RPM Limiter(stand-alone or HP Tuners) and tunig the fuel and ingnition timing. Then by this point you'll need to look into tranny mods, which is a whole nother deal!

To make any decent power out of these motors N/A, requires alot of time, money and effort. Irregaurdless of what the "nay-sayers" say, it can be done. It's just most people don't have the resources to do it, or give up before reaching those levels. As far as me, although I dont have the $$ to do it, so I do ALL the work myself and I'm having fun with it!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search