2.3 cams? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.3 cams?
Monday, March 20, 2006 6:46 AM
97 2.4l cav conv. thinking about 2.3 cams. do you hvae to get both intake and exhaust or will just one or the other do? would it be better to get the 2.3 cams or get aftermarket ones? any help is appreciated.

Re: 2.3 cams?
Monday, March 20, 2006 7:06 AM
No you don't HAVE to get both.. It would be more beneficial to get the exhaust cam.. BUT if you can do both then Id go ahead and do that.. If you get the exhaust cam you can't use your 2.4 cam towers or lifters just so you know(I pretty sure I think)

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Monday, March 20, 2006 7:30 AM
you can use the Lo exhaust cam with the 2.4 cam housing. You have to use the 2.3 cam housing IF and only IF you use the Ho cam.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Monday, March 20, 2006 7:56 AM
Mfk-223 wrote:you can use the Lo exhaust cam with the 2.4 cam housing. You have to use the 2.3 cam housing IF and only IF you use the Ho cam.

If that's the case im assuming you can use the 2.4 lifters with the lo exhaust cam?

306 TQ
Monday, March 20, 2006 1:48 PM
yep

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Monday, March 20, 2006 3:18 PM
what would be the difference in getting a lo cam versus the ho cam?
im planning on building the engine if that helps.(not for a turbo or supercharger though)

is it better to get aftermarket cams or the 2.3?
Monday, March 20, 2006 4:28 PM
blink 777069 wrote:what would be the difference in getting a lo cam versus the ho cam?
im planning on building the engine if that helps.(not for a turbo or supercharger though)

is it better to get aftermarket cams or the 2.3?

This is the difference.. All the info is here

http://www.ny-jbodies.org/library/engine/2.4/2.4camsecret/2.4camsecret.asp

306 TQ
Monday, March 20, 2006 5:49 PM
great. i dont know what that is dont know what the numbers mean. im not technical. if anyone can help with the technical stuff. the diff of the h.o or lo. cams? one give more hp then the other? one more torgue? which one is better with mods? etc etc. just plain english please? thanks.
Monday, March 20, 2006 6:51 PM
ohh uhhhh ..... hrmmm i am about to put in my motor ..... till i read this ! i used the HO cam with the 2.4l exhaust housing... but it didnt seem to have any problems it rotated without any problems or anything it went right in ...... i didnt use the exhaust HO housing because it looks different theres a censor on it that the 2.4 doesn not have... so what should i do ? ??? ? ?? are yall positive that 2.3l HO exhaust cam cannot go in the 2.4l housing ???? Damn itt the engine was ready to go in its in the air and have way in... i just cam in for a snack ...... crap... ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
Monday, March 20, 2006 7:44 PM
?
Monday, March 20, 2006 10:16 PM

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 2:31 AM
the Ho cams use a 35mmlifter compare to the 33mm form the 2.4. If you have a true Ho cam, the lift is .410" and the lobe is suppose to hit the wall of the housing. I'd mesure the lobe on the cam because it seems that you don't have an Ho cam.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 2:34 AM
Btw, the sensor on the exhaust housing is the oil pressure sensor, you can block it or put a gauge on it.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 5:17 AM
and give people more time than an hour to answer a question

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 6:20 AM

great. i dont know what that is dont know what the numbers mean. im not technical. if anyone can help with the technical stuff. the diff of the h.o or lo. cams? one give more hp then the other? one more torgue? which one is better with mods? etc etc. just plain english please? thanks.
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 10:14 AM
the 411 lift should be good for higher end HP numbers, but if you gain on top from a cam you will likely lose on the bottom end,

the 0.411" lift cam used 35mm lifter because some people have had them in the 33mm bores ( 2.4 cam housings) and the lobes WILL hit the housing, I would say if they are not hitting and you took the lifter out and can see some space you should be good to go.

How do you know that you got the HO cam? the casting number is the same as the LO cams. If someone sold it to you as a HO and it doesn't hit, you likely got the LO cams, but those are the ones you want any ways

hope that helps, and I am 90% sure of that info, correct me if I am wrong.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 12:29 PM
I got the Cam myself from a 90 or 91 grand am vin D . it had the HO Intake there for i though it was an HO ... but i dont know ima switch it just to be sure ... sorry about posting so soon i was just anxious to know ... and whats the part number or what is it called for the oil pressure gage ... since Gm failed to equip us with one i think its a good idea... thanks
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 12:40 PM
Vin D is a Lo. The Ho manifold was on some Lo too so you can't base yourself on that.

Vin A is the Ho. .410" is the lift of the cam. The only way you can tell witch cam you got since the Lo, ho and W41 cams had the same casting number.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 5:21 PM
Ohh ok .. thanks for clearing it up for me. i still used the 2.3 housing i just read this and its allready in there so o well... whats the lift on the LO ? ive read that the HO wont do me anygood with out a chip anyway..... i wanted to have a looping sound like some of the V8's trying to turn off man thats awsome but o well ....
Wednesday, March 22, 2006 3:12 AM
the Lo cam has .375" of lift. The ho would help since more exhaust could get out.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search