Individual TB? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Individual TB?
Saturday, February 18, 2006 11:58 PM
Has anyone ever done an individual throttle body set up on an LD9 or any J engine? I know our stock valve train can't handle higher revs which is needed for ITB's to work but i am planning on a full rebuild this summer and i have to chose between going boost or N/A. So any info in this area would be useful. Thanks.

Shawn M.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Re: Individual TB?
Sunday, February 19, 2006 12:11 AM
never seen it but you could always get custom ITB's. Go Naturally aspirated with ITB's. LD9 can be bored to 2.7L plus astroke you might get 2.9L who needs boost when you could have 2.9L puting out big all motor HP. all motor and no turbo lag. maybe use nitrous and own anything.

Working on obtainting an M-Class license... ?? Hint: 2 wheels.
Sunday, February 19, 2006 12:25 AM
www.quad4rods.com sells them, but I don't know of anyone with it. Mantapart buys them from quad4rods and resells them.

Sunday, February 19, 2006 2:30 AM
TORONTO CAVALIER wrote:never seen it but you could always get custom ITB's. Go Naturally aspirated with ITB's. LD9 can be bored to 2.7L plus astroke you might get 2.9L who needs boost when you could have 2.9L puting out big all motor HP. all motor and no turbo lag. maybe use nitrous and own anything.

I'm sorry but where are you getting these #s of 2.7L with boring and 2.9 with bore and stroker kit? I highly doubt there is even enough cylinder wall to be bored away to gain another .3 Liters of displacement.

Even if you could do all these magical bores and strokes, displacement only does so much and only gains you so much power. Also, you would need to somehow find someone to make a piston to fit such an unorthodox sized 4 cylinder motor.

As far as a stroker kit, where is this kit you are refering to?

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, February 19, 2006 4:26 AM
In the FAQ it says tha you can bore your 2.4 to 2.7l witch is not true. Each .010 you bore the block doesn't give you .1L witch alot of people think.

The highest you can go with the 2.4 with a stroker is 2.6L

There's no "kit", the only thing you can do is fit a 2.4 crank in a 2.3 or offset the rod journal witch won't you much.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Sunday, February 19, 2006 7:06 PM
So do anyone know of someone who has done this? Cause if there are kits out there someone has to be buying them or they wouldnt sell. And you dont make something that doesnt sell. The quad4rods.com only does the 2.3 quad 4 engine. I guess i could just buy an adapter plate for the intake and that would work. Anyone know of what improvements i would see with a redone head (cams, P&P, springs, valves) and an ITB set up? Thanks again.

Shawn M.

Monday, February 20, 2006 9:40 AM
I seriously doubt the ITB setup will give that much power to these small displacement engines. Ive seen a lot of em only gain about 15-20hp, and for what 2 grand or so? Unless you're just really into being unique or having a show car, it's not really gonna give you what you want.

I root for the underdog...figured I might as well be one

Monday, February 20, 2006 11:05 AM
im accually waiting for my income tax return to do this. my bud with his miata is doing it too. we're going to be using the tb off a hyabusa. he's n/a, and im turbo, I hope to have great throttle response. and for those sceptics, its been done, check the miata forums.

don't be a downer!
Monday, February 20, 2006 11:24 AM
Oh i figured you were asking about its performance but after I went back and re-read it i guess you were just wondering if anyone has done it. Didn't mean to sound like i was downing it. Best of luck.

Monday, February 20, 2006 12:13 PM
Its ok gearhead i didnt take it like that. I have seen/heard it make huge gains on integras and S2000's. An s2000 with an ITB set up beat an S2K with 8 PSi from a turbo. And the integra made about 250 to the wheels with an ITB. I know i will see little or no HP on a stock engine. But yes your right part of the reason i am looking into this is because i want to be unique. Francisco what engine management system are you running? I am wondering if i would have to run a stand alone or could get buy with something like an e-manage. And where r u getting yours, from the hyabusa? How much custom work is that going to take? How big are the throttle bodies? I know lots of questions but i like to know what i am getting in to. Anyways good luck and keep me posted with pics and dyno charts.

Shawn M.

Monday, February 20, 2006 12:22 PM
Yeah the S2000 with ITB had a lot done to it though I read about that.

Monday, February 20, 2006 9:46 PM
they are different types of engines the the 2.4....those are high rev engines that make their power at like 8k or something.....i remember a big long post on thise like 3 years ago and the 2.4 would end up losing low end and not gaining much top end ....
Monday, February 20, 2006 10:18 PM
95GtFire wrote:they are different types of engines the the 2.4....those are high rev engines that make their power at like 8k or something.....i remember a big long post on thise like 3 years ago and the 2.4 would end up losing low end and not gaining much top end ....

Of course. Most people fail to realize that the higher you rev, the less torque you're producing. Lots of people on here try and build all motor setups but they don't realize that their 8,000 RPM limiter that they want and camshaft profile changes will shift their powerband upwards and change the amount of torque they produce as well. Our motors were designed well enough to produced a sufficient and balanced amount of horsepower with a sufficent and balanced amount of torque to back it up. Trying to aim for a higher redline and high shifted powerband may cause a negative effect and end up hurting you in the long run.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 10:33 AM
I know all of that. I am not going to do this just to have a high reving engine or cause i am trying to move the power band higher. I am just wondering if this set is a worth while mod. When talking HP vs $$$. My thoughts were to eventually turbo the car with the ITB set up on it. I am mainly looking for the improved throttle response and increased air flow possibilities for the turbo. The M3 is ITB and the M5 is too so there must me something worth while about this. Yes they rev higher but they have a very reasonable power curve over all. Thanks, stay on topic, i know it will lose low end and raise the power band, which might not be a good thing.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 10:47 AM
Probably gonna have to have it custom made, which could run well over 2 grand, and you will have to extensively mod the engine, I'm talkin cam, port and polished head and intake matched, most likely an engine management, etc., some really high dollar stuff, and then you will probably still only see about 15-20hp from the itb if that which is the best they will do on smaller displacement engines, even modded near the max like I said. So to answer your question with a question about it being a worthwhile mod, is the gain of 15-20hp worth all that to you when you can get it in other more cost efficient ways? Personally, I dont see it as a worthwhile mod on the performance side of things, but it is very unique and few have done this, especially in the J world. So it depends on how you look at it.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 10:48 AM
You can't run ITBs with a turbo unless you use a setup like Cosworth has for their Champ cars. In that setup there's a large intake plenum with a huge "master" throttlebody, which is fed air by a turbo. Inside there are two barrel-type throttle bodies (one for each cylinder bank) with individual ports and velocity stacks for each intake tract. They're not true ITBs, though. They're either open or closed, and fine tuning is done by the master throttlebody. For street use, this is not an ideal setup. A true ITB setup is designed for direct air flow without having a plenum and they use velocity stacks and engine vacuum to maintain air flow. It's designed for use on engines that spend most of their time in the upper RPM range, such as drag racing or drifting. Toyota AE86 drivers are notorious for running ITBs because their engines (4AG I believe) respond well to that style of intake. Honda drivers in all motor drag racing have begun to use ITBs for the same reasons, but as already said, these are high revving engines that make power all the way to 8 grand, which our engines do not.

Opfer benotigt. Keine Erfahrung notwendig.

Victims needed. No experience necessary.
Tuesday, February 21, 2006 10:56 AM
TORONTO CAVALIER wrote:never seen it but you could always get custom ITB's. Go Naturally aspirated with ITB's. LD9 can be bored to 2.7L plus astroke you might get 2.9L who needs boost when you could have 2.9L puting out big all motor HP. all motor and no turbo lag. maybe use nitrous and own anything.
LOL all that ignorant uneducated n00b BS coming from the guy who a day or 2 back made a post saying
TORONTO CAVALIER wrote:95% of ppl on this site are ricer noobs that dont know jack @!#$.

TORONTO CAVALIER wrote:
you might wonna try to hit up j-body.com. its our local ontario website. and ppl on there actually know stuff about cars.
LOL OK OK OK So first you say "Nobody here on JBO knows anything about cars and we're all ricer n00bs" and then you say "Like ZOMG who needs boost when you can have a 2.9L LD9 with like crazy N/A power and lots of NAWWWWZ?!?! Like, WheeeeeEEEeeeEEEEEEEeeee and stuff!!!!!"

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!! You fail at life once again.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 11:15 AM
Check out this link
http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=6627&sid=4ac1e3c07be06e5bf5fe3a3b0cb499ed

This setup could cost you under $500 instead of 2g's if you DIY. All you would need is a intake flange and throttle bodies from a street bike, and then a little fabrication. Oh yea you wouldn't be able to use the stock PCM either.
Tuesday, February 21, 2006 11:18 AM
It might be easier to go to carbs instead of multiple tbs. I'm thinking four mikuni carbs or similar small bore carb.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 11:23 AM
You could go with some carbs from like pre 80's cars. That would be cheaper because you could go to a junk yard find a old jaguar with mechanical FI or carb.
Tuesday, February 21, 2006 1:58 PM
on an ld9, ar any gm 4-banger that ever sees street, I think itb's are not worth the time, money, or effort. realisticly, you could make similar power on a costom manifold with just 1 large tb. it would be easier to make, tune, it would be cheaper and alot more practical.

all the itb's would really do for you is make people go 'oooooh' AHHHHHH' at the car show when you pop your hood.

to much work, not enough return

------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't actually read your posts
I stare them down until they give me the information I require

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 3:10 PM
If you're sticking with n/a... there's no reason you couldn't mod the Quad 4 one that www.quad4rods.com sells to fit the LD9.

I'd do it just for the cool factor

C'mon, who else on here has ITB's? No one!

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 6:20 PM
First of all the ITB's mantapart sells are $1300 direct boilt on, i dont know where the 2k came from. Second have you hard of a supercharged M3? Of course you can charge an ITB set up, it just requires a custom fabbed large area box that goes into all the TB's. Do some searching on charging an M3 and you will see its not that hard to charge an ITB set up.
And for the 4th time to everyone who posted above i am planning on re-building the head, so dont blab on about how it will give me no power if i dont.
The general rule i was tought was the more air into the engine the more power you get (with the right fuel mods). So i was just trying to thinking/wondering if an ITB set up would allow for more air flow.

Its basically going to be ITB's with a full NA build or the HO manifold with a turbo at 8-10 psi. Each would cost about the same and yes i know the turbo would be easier to tune and yeild more power and potential.

Thanks for the input from the guys who actually read the whole post.

Is there really no one here or someone who even knows of someone who has done this on a j-body?

Thanks

Shawn M.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 7:11 PM
Shawn McKenzie wrote:First of all the ITB's mantapart sells are $1300 direct boilt on, i dont know where the 2k came from. Second have you hard of a supercharged M3? Of course you can charge an ITB set up, it just requires a custom fabbed large area box that goes into all the TB's. Do some searching on charging an M3 and you will see its not that hard to charge an ITB set up.
And for the 4th time to everyone who posted above i am planning on re-building the head, so dont blab on about how it will give me no power if i dont.
The general rule i was tought was the more air into the engine the more power you get (with the right fuel mods). So i was just trying to thinking/wondering if an ITB set up would allow for more air flow.

Its basically going to be ITB's with a full NA build or the HO manifold with a turbo at 8-10 psi. Each would cost about the same and yes i know the turbo would be easier to tune and yeild more power and potential.

Thanks for the input from the guys who actually read the whole post.

Is there really no one here or someone who even knows of someone who has done this on a j-body?

Thanks

Shawn M.

No offense but if you pick an ITB setup over an Turbo setup for the same amount (according to what you're saying), you're a very silly silly man...

That's like Being offered a Corvette and an Lumina...

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 8:23 PM
None taken, i know there is way bigger/better/more posibilities with a turbo and i think i have decided to go that way. Besides i get a free STi turbo to use! wooot.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Shawn M.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search