HO Manifold - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HO Manifold
Saturday, February 11, 2006 5:44 PM
Hey I was wondering when I go to the yard to find a intake mani, what car or cars should I be looking for in particular. How can u tell which ones have the HO manifold without looking at every single one. Thanks mujch!

Re: HO Manifold
Saturday, February 11, 2006 6:26 PM
(cover under hood says high output )
1990, 1991 Buick Skylark (Custom, Gran Sport, Luxury Edition models)
1992-1994 Oldsmobile Achieva (S, SL, SC models)
1990, 1991 Oldsmobile Calais (International, S, SL models)
1990, 1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme (base models)
1990-1994 Pontiac Grand Am (SE, LE, GT models)
1990, 1991 Pontiac Grand Prix (LE, SE models)
Saturday, February 11, 2006 9:19 PM
Beretta Gtz

Cutlass 442

Achieva Scx

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Saturday, February 11, 2006 9:52 PM
search, i posted a link to a list i made on another forum a few times on here with ever car that ever had a quad 4 in it. Not to mention people have posted this info a ton of times.

Click the banner to enter the best Quad4 & Twin Cam site on the internet.
Saturday, February 11, 2006 11:42 PM
I wouldn't recommend the HO intake mani unless your going turbo. Don't know about the rest of you guys but i lost some serious power. Yes it is port matched. I had it on the dyno the other week and my torque went up really nice than dropped about 12-15 ft lbs. The guy asked me what all i had done so i told him. He said it will pick up fast like that do to the larger volume, but it will also drop than do to the slower air flow rate.

BTW he builds and dyno's motors for the Championship HOOTERS cup car. And has been doing it for a long time.

Brandon

2nd Place is the first loser
Sunday, February 12, 2006 7:11 AM
the 8th number in the VIN should be and A. 3 and D are LO
Sunday, February 12, 2006 8:45 PM
Brandon Hetrick wrote:I wouldn't recommend the HO intake mani unless your going turbo. Don't know about the rest of you guys but i lost some serious power. Yes it is port matched. I had it on the dyno the other week and my torque went up really nice than dropped about 12-15 ft lbs. The guy asked me what all i had done so i told him. He said it will pick up fast like that do to the larger volume, but it will also drop than do to the slower air flow rate.

BTW he builds and dyno's motors for the Championship HOOTERS cup car. And has been doing it for a long time.

Brandon

So he said it will gain power b/c it has larger volume, but it will lose power b/c this larger volume flows less? Does that make sense to you? Ive met alot of people that now alot of @!#$ about cars, but tell me completely retarded @!#$ about the quad 4.

Click the banner to enter the best Quad4 & Twin Cam site on the internet.
Sunday, February 12, 2006 9:36 PM
Quote:

Ive met alot of people that now alot of @!#$ about cars, but tell me completely retarded @!#$ about the quad 4.

x2
....so what hes saying is..when oldsmobile designed the quad 4..by adding the HO manifold to the High Output engine they actually made it weaker?so they shoulda put the LO manifold on the HO and vice versa?

Monday, February 13, 2006 2:54 AM
Id be interested in seeing your set up B.
WHere abouts in PA are ya?

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Tuesday, February 14, 2006 11:28 AM
urweak wrote:
Brandon Hetrick wrote:I wouldn't recommend the HO intake mani unless your going turbo. Don't know about the rest of you guys but i lost some serious power. Yes it is port matched. I had it on the dyno the other week and my torque went up really nice than dropped about 12-15 ft lbs. The guy asked me what all i had done so i told him. He said it will pick up fast like that do to the larger volume, but it will also drop than do to the slower air flow rate.

Brandon

So he said it will gain power b/c it has larger volume, but it will lose power b/c this larger volume flows less? Does that make sense to you? Ive met alot of people that now alot of @!#$ about cars, but tell me completely retarded @!#$ about the quad 4.

OK reread the last sentance I posted. Dont be one sided, try to think of it the I stated it. Your car will reach peak power and torque faster sence all that air is thereBUT the intake is so much larger that it darasticly slows down air flow = less power. Think of your intake as a stream that flows 1000 gph. Than take that same stream and make it lager but still with the same volume of water. What happens to the rate of flow? It slows down...

I live in central PA, Millerstown

I could also feal a loss in power before I ever had it on the dyno. Look at some of the other guys on hear that did the swap some of them complained about a loss of power.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 1:26 PM
I'm a little confused here but hopefully you can explain it to me...

Lets say I have a tube called A and it's say 1 unit in diameter and can move 100 units per hour max and I change it to Unit B which is 2 units in diameter and can move 200 units per hour max.
I can understand if you are pushing the air into the motor that you might run into an issue with it having an issue with turbulence or something... But the motor is simply going to be pulling the air as fast as the intake can provide it... or have the operating mechanics of motors suddenly changed? The only major issue I can see it that even after you throttle down the motor may take a extra moment or two before the air in the plenum is disipated to the point that the motor starts to be starved of air and rev down. I would think that the larger throttle and intake plenum should allow the motor to breathe that much easier and as a result improve your horsepower.

Is it maybe a reverse scavaging situation that causes the drop you are talking about? I know that the easier a motor breaths on the exhaust side it will produce more HP & Torque but will eventually start to drop the torque as a result of the drop in back-preasure and scavaging of the cylinders.

Knowledge about everything and yet an expert of nothing!!
Jack of all trades.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 2:05 PM
Maybe I can check out your set up if you come to the siniser J meets.

Besides, you coul sell the mani if you wanted.

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Tuesday, February 14, 2006 2:14 PM
I am keeping the mani going boosted. I dont know really what to say i do see what you are saying. I do no this though my car ran way better with out it on.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 7:05 PM
So what is the final word on the HO manifold with boost, is it necessary??? I have the stock manifold, but i have the tube from the pcv valve to the crankcase unhooked. Will taht setup be fine? Maybe I could put a little breather filter on it or something, but will taht keep me from blowing oil seals? I saw a post about this a couple days ago, but I ddidnt fully get what the hell they were talking about. Posting pictures of it would be awesome.
Wednesday, February 15, 2006 1:23 PM
I only put the HO mani on cuz i am going boosted and dont trust a plastic mani to hold boost rather be safe than sorry.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search