what should i buy - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
what should i buy
Monday, February 06, 2006 11:11 AM
i have 2.4 with 5 speed manual so my choices:
upper/lower engine mounts.
short throw shifter.
sway bars.
bigger thorttle body or ho manifold (which would be better, or can i do bother??)
i am a newby so take it easy on me.

Re: what should i buy
Monday, February 06, 2006 12:10 PM
LOL we'll take it easy on ya, don't worry . Good suggestions, but first of all, you've listed suspension as well engine performance mods. Whichever one is more important to you is where you should start. You wanna handle well more than be fast? Or be be fast more than handle well? I'm not very well-versed in suspension mods by any means, and this is not necessarily the correct Forum for it, so I'll comment on the other performance mods.

I'd suggest first of all that you go ahead and ge a cat-back on there. Go custom 2.25" from a shop, not a pre-made kit, pick your own resonator / glasspack and your own muffler. You'll probably be happier w/ custom system as long as you get Mandrel / Compression bent pipe.

Motor Mounts are decent "bang for the buck" items since they're cheap as hell and make your car feel like a racecar . Plus, they reduce flex in the exhaust system from engine movement, which is important because it prevents a lot of premature wear in the system, as well as the initial creaking / rubbing noises a new header might make starting out. A good "preparation" mod if you don't mind a small amount of vibration / feedback.

Short Shifter is regarded by many people as the mod that made their car more fun to drive more than almost any other mod, just make sure you install right, because some folks have had trouble from bad install technique and the original parts that need to be carried over are worn / broken and need replacement.

You should be able to hook up with the HO mani. swap as well as a larger throttle body. There are some TB's out there that are as large as 62mm, but that is too big unless you know for sure you're going supercharged / turbocharged in the future. Look for the best middle-ground. Search this forum thoroughly to find out all the details of the HO swap, and I'll leave it to someone else to comment furter on this. I notice you already ahve an intake, so good going there, and the HO swap and TB will really make intake mods worth your while.

Price all these things out, look at your budget, and decide which you'd prefer to start with.

And as a newbie, just remember: The Search button is YOUR FRIEND

Monday, February 06, 2006 12:24 PM
sweet, so far my thought are motor mounts, then get header with full exhaust.
but all other opinions and suggestions would be nice, even if i didnt name a part i didnt say... tell me! lol

p.s im looking for performance mroe then handling
Monday, February 06, 2006 12:40 PM
That's a good approach. Motor mounts first, then save up and go for Header, Magnaflow #94035 High-flow Converter, and custom Cat-back all in one shot.

Since it crossed my mind, here's some good sites to refer to for looking for parts.
lmperformance.com
importperformanceparts.net
rsmracing.com
sportcompactonly.com
jegs.com
jcwhitney.com
jtuners.com
jobdyperformance.com
performancecenter.com
rksport.com
maximumboost.net
ptuning.com
turbotechracing.com
summitracing.com
cnfxperformance.com
carcustoms.net
gravanatuning.com
horsepowerfreaks.com
mantapart.com

Monday, February 06, 2006 12:55 PM
thanks alot, look like i have some sites to research
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search