Tuning a 2.2L ecotec - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tuning a 2.2L ecotec
Sunday, February 05, 2006 3:31 PM
Is there any tuning that can be done with a stock 2.2L Ecotec to increase hp or tq or even gas mileage? I don't want to make it into a tuner, I'd just like to have a few extra horsies to make my daily drive to school more of a true driving experience.

I don't want to buy new overpriced parts, I'd really just like to beef up my stock engine, but I can't take the time to figure out what timing provides the best low end hp and so on, so if anyone could even offer suggestions of what you've done with your stock 2.2, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Re: Tuning a 2.2L ecotec
Sunday, February 05, 2006 4:58 PM
Wednesday, February 08, 2006 8:42 AM
Not to be rude, but that doesn't really help me. I'm not looking for newbie info on parts, I'm looking for tuning tips such as advancing or retarding timing for performance, and other things I can do to attain better performance out of my stock Cavie. I dont have the time to sit in my garage and find a good setup, so if anyone has suggestions, once again, greatly appreciated.
Wednesday, February 08, 2006 9:27 AM
if your lookig for newbie info...why not try the NEWBIE forum? wow...what an idea

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Wednesday, February 08, 2006 10:24 AM
kevin cummings wrote:Not to be rude, but that doesn't really help me. I'm not looking for newbie info on parts, I'm looking for tuning tips such as advancing or retarding timing for performance, and other things I can do to attain better performance out of my stock Cavie. I dont have the time to sit in my garage and find a good setup, so if anyone has suggestions, once again, greatly appreciated.

only way to tune the ecotec will be near the end of this month when hptuners.com releases their tuning software for our cars. Otherwise you'll need a complete engine menagement system.

Also if you don't have time to install a few parts than there's no way in the world you have time to properly tune the engine of the car by altering it's operating perameters.

Your going to get your greatest gains from freeing up your exhaust and intake.

Altering the engine parameters on our cars is best left for after you have a few bolt ons and understand how the engine works a bit better.

-Chris

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 4:07 PM
Hypsy, I said NOT looking for newbie information.
Chris, thanks for the insight to hptuners, I'll have to take a look at that. I've already put on custom 2.25" pipe with a glasspack, and I would do intake but I put one on my 86 Vette, and it resulted in a whopping 5 hp. Also, I'm not asking because I don't know how an engine works (I advanced the timing on my friend's 240SX with no troubles), I'm asking because, well, I'm lazy, tee hee.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search