Exhaust - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Exhaust
Saturday, February 04, 2006 7:57 AM
I was just wondering, i am putting new exahust on my 2.4 so i picked up two magnaflow mufflers. So my question is will there be a big sound and performance diffrence in just new mufflers rather then using a catback system? thanx

Re: Exhaust
Saturday, February 04, 2006 8:33 AM
I am assuming your car is N/A. You have two mufflers, and want to do a dual setup? Well it would be some custom work to use alot of the stock piping to utilize two mufflers, so replacing the stock piping and making a custom 2 1/4th inch catback that hooks to those 2 mufflers would probablly cost exactly the same price. Its CHEAP to get the custom pipe made, its usually the install that runs ya a few bucks.

But to answer your question I am going to say most likely, I am willing to be if a test was done where you just chopped the stock muffler off on a stock system, that you would see the same gain that some 2 1/4th inch cat back kits provide.

(btw there isnt much of a gain to be had)
Saturday, February 04, 2006 8:36 AM
Upgrading just your mufflers will give you about no type of power difference.

Upgrading your cat-back will open up exhuast flow much better.

The catback will sound louder.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Saturday, February 04, 2006 9:53 AM
my car is a 2002 2.4l sunfire Gt witha duel exhaust the reason i am doing it this way is because it is hard to find a cat for a sufire with duel exhause and very expensive and i was planing to get a pipe custom bent in stead of buying a full catback system. also does any one have audio on what it till sound like with or without a cat?
Saturday, February 04, 2006 9:59 AM
Dual exhaust to me is pointless to me for these cars. They almost always sound like poo, increase the weight of the system and help out no more in making power over a single system.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Saturday, February 04, 2006 10:09 AM
Fire Fighter wrote:Dual exhaust to me is pointless to me for these cars. They almost always sound like poo, increase the weight of the system and help out no more in making power over a single system.

x2. a single is cheaper, lighter, easier, sounds better...

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Saturday, February 04, 2006 11:54 AM
Jeter 2 wrote:my car is a 2002 2.4l sunfire Gt witha duel exhaust the reason i am doing it this way is because it is hard to find a cat for a sufire with duel exhause and very expensive and i was planing to get a pipe custom bent in stead of buying a full catback system. also does any one have audio on what it till sound like with or without a cat?

High Flow cats are basically universal, not application specific.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Saturday, February 04, 2006 12:10 PM
If you remove your cat you won't be able to pass emissions. A hi-flow cat would do you good but only if you're thinking about doing your entire exhaust. If you only want new mufflers and change the sound a bit then stick with your plan. New pipes to accomodate the new mufflers would be fine. A new cat and cat-back will give a slight difference but remember, your exhaust can only flow as much as your smallest diameter pipe opening. Your car's exhaust manifold is still stock so the air would still be restricted near the engine.

Blown.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search