Exhaust sound how loud is to much - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Exhaust sound how loud is to much
Friday, February 03, 2006 10:17 PM
I'm getting ready to do the exhaust on my 24 and was wondering if anyone would know how loud this could get.
I want to run a 4 to 1 header with a 2 1/2 inch high flow cat and a 2 1/2 inch hushpower II muffler finished off with a 2 1/2 side exit pipe.
Rite now i have the factory pipes with a blown high flow cat and a glass pack at the end, it's so loud that my son is waiting for me at the front window of my home 5 mins before I get home, it's just too loud and the cops wont get off my back about it.
I don't care if it's loud if I go wide open throttle, but if im rollin down the road at 2500 to 3000 rpm I'm not looking to get pulled over or have people looking at me like I'm driving a Honda having a heart attack.
Does anyone have any idea how this setup would sound, I don't want to spend the money if it's gonna be just as loud as it is now

Re: Exhaust sound how loud is to much
Friday, February 03, 2006 10:20 PM
May i suggest an 18" + long resonator?

Friday, February 03, 2006 10:25 PM
How much of a performance and sound difference would it make, this is also being done with cost and performance in mind.
Friday, February 03, 2006 10:28 PM
the resonator wouldn't affect sound at all but it might be hard to fit one in if you're doing a side-exit exhaust as you would need as much room as you could get for a resonator (which is basically just a long can-style muffler that gets welded in-line into the exhaust) that is 1.5 feet long. It would definately quiet it a bit and remove a lot of popping and raspiness... I'm not sure how much they run cost-wise

Friday, February 03, 2006 10:29 PM
Oops... I meant the resonator wouldn't affect PERFORMANCE at all... it's straight flowing so there would be no increase or decrease in performance by putting one in...

Friday, February 03, 2006 10:29 PM
A resonator doesnt make power nor does it reduce it. It just deepens the tone and gets rid of the raspiness. It like a high flow pre-muffler.

Friday, February 03, 2006 10:37 PM
Well i was looking flowmasters web site and I could get a hushpower II muffler and the same style resonator I just have to go back and look at the sizes.
Also what would be better 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 for size I don't want to go to big or to small.
Friday, February 03, 2006 10:42 PM
2.25 is optimal if you are NOT forced.

Friday, February 03, 2006 10:43 PM
I just went back to the web site and the muffler and the resonator are would be about 36 inchs in total length, do you think I could still pull off the side exit or is it going to be to long.
I just want this to work out that it sounds nice and keeps five-o away from me.
Friday, February 03, 2006 11:34 PM
its never too loud...i have straights on my cav from the cat back...and its still not loud enough for me. hehe

Saturday, February 04, 2006 11:11 AM
Don't get me wrong I love a loud car butt I've payed out over 1700 bucks in tickets because of it.
It's just costing to much.

Saturday, February 04, 2006 11:44 AM
Your performance will not be affected if the resonator has a perforated core. A louvred core will actually hinder performance.

The largest resonator I've heard fitting on a J (third gen) was either 31or 32 inches. Event is the only member that I know that has fit this length on the car.

So, what you're saying is that you want a side exit exhaust? Where do you plan on the exit pipe to be? In front of the rear driver's side wheel? I don't think you'll have enough room to fit a muffler, resonator, and cat in that short length. Your best bet would be to have the muffler location to remain where it is (driver's side rear) and fit a 28"+ resonator onto the setup. You'll still be legal with the cat and muffler and the resonator will help lower the volume and smooth out the tone.

Blown.
Saturday, February 04, 2006 4:22 PM
My problem is cash, im trying to do this on a tight budget but still want it done rite.
The hushpower resonator is 12 inchs in length and the Hushpower II muffler is 24 inchs in length the cat I was going to use is the same one that im using now just a new one, it's about 10 to 12 inchs long.
I'm trying to do the side exit for two reasons, it will cost me less for the final piping if I go with side instead of going all the way to the rear, and I love side exit so i really want it to work.
If I went with out the resonator how much louder would it be? Like I said my car is running with no cat and a vibrant black chrome glass pack, would the set up with out the resonator be close to as loud as the way it is now.
As for where I want the pipe to exit would be in front of the rear passenger side wheel well so i can keep the piping away from the fuel lines.
I'm just trying to save some money but still quiet it down a little otherwise it's all just a wast off money.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search