Throttle Body Help - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Throttle Body Help
Friday, February 03, 2006 1:06 PM
hey guys, im looking for an aftermarket throttle body (62mm) and the one that i know of is RSM's Throttle body but its 400$!!! that is how much i paid for my Exhaust Header...does anyone know where i could find one for cheaper? Thanks

Re: Throttle Body Help
Friday, February 03, 2006 1:59 PM
So you paid $400 for a ps header? Thats nuts, anyway you can get a Reveco TB from ebay if he sells one for the 2.4. Mine is a 69-60-62mm and I love it.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Friday, February 03, 2006 2:59 PM
yeah it was only 300 but then i added ceramic coating..but yeah..any more help or ideas on throttle bodies?
Friday, February 03, 2006 3:11 PM
Yeah umm my armor coated header was only $230.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Friday, February 03, 2006 3:43 PM
yeah..ceramic is an extra 100$ plus shipping..
Saturday, February 04, 2006 9:56 AM
I check with ruben and he doesn't have any 2.4tb's. You got ripped off on that header, what you saying is you bought a painted one for $300 and then spent another $100 for the ceramic/armor coating.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Saturday, February 04, 2006 5:51 PM
JBP has a 62mm TB
JBP 2.2/2.4 TB's
$313.90 US

There is a core charge involved for the TB and the plenum, which also needs modification to fit.
TB/Plenum, Core Charge
$129.00 US

If you REALLY want one that big, go with RSM. JBP TB adds up to $442.90 US, unless you don't want to pay the core charge. In which case, you have to send them your TB/plenum before they will ship you your new TB/plenum. They're in Canada, so the turn-around time between you sending yours to them, them receiving it, and them sending your new TB to you is a long time, and your car will be out of comission the whole time. Either way, you pretty much lose with JBP unless you have another car to drive while yours is inoperable

This size TB is too big for N/A cars, I know, because I have the RSM one ... but I got it when it was only like $340. Plenty of power up top, but weak down low. Consider the 56/57mm TB's out there before you decide. I do see in your profile that you expect to go Turbo at some point, so the 62mm may be in your best interest if you know for sure you are gonna go that route soon. Still seems better to go with RSM even though they rape you up the a$$ in price, but that's my opinion.

Get a quote from a machine shop on boring out your stock TB/plenum... they might be able to help you for lower price... find out.

Saturday, February 04, 2006 5:59 PM
Oh I almost forgot... no matter what you decide, don't fall for the "Ported Intake Manifold" RSM has for another whopping $400. The only thing "Match ported to our 62 mm throttle body to maximize air flow and power gain" means is they ported the opening to the TB and the openings to the head. So they didn't actually go in and bore the whole thing bigger, just the ends, which you can do yourself with a dremel or die grinder with the right bits. There's no noticable performance gain form that, so do that yourself if you feel like it. Once again, I know this because I made the n00b mistake of getting that a long time ago too before I had the JBO to help me make good decisions

Look into the "HO manifold swap" in this forum if you want real good gains from manifold work.

Sunday, February 05, 2006 4:30 AM
yeah...there is a machine shop here that i could go ask...i probably wont be able to go Turbo till late this year...my plans are to Buy JBP 2.4 Crate Motor Fully Built.....yes i know that is it expsensive but i figure that would be the easiest way to finish my performance while having an automobile to drive to and from work and school. I have talked to them already about payment options and they take 1/2 up front and the other half WHEN READY TO SHIP so i know for a fact that my motor will be complete when they call me saying its ready. So in your opinion, should i just hold off on the throttle body>?

ps..im saving up for LSD now so im just looking at smaller upgrades that will improve or restore power that i should have at the wheels. Thanks!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search